John Elway's dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The Experience View Post

It is imperative we keep this D together the best we can.
    Which is why I do not see a dilemma. Our defense, despite avg to poor QB play, inconsistent run game, and avg to poor OL play has our team in the hunt for top seed in the AFC.

Miller age 26
    MJ age 25
    Wolfe age 25
    Trevathan age 25
    Sly age 27
    Marshall age 26

We have an opportunity to lock up this entire group for the next 5 years, all prime years! This could be a dynasty defense!!

We can do it with Manning, Ware, and Clady off the books. This should be a very, very easy decision. Even Brock comes in 2nd to keeping this defense together. While I would like to keep Os, I think this defense and a strong run game > than the need for a great QB.

Edit: yes it may be a little pricey, but with the cap going up yearly, I do not think 7MM or whatever for Wolfe and MJ each is really going to look all that much in a few years. Make the commitment now to all these guys to be apart of something special, maybe historic as far as the franchise is concerned.
    Last edited by MHSalute; 12-10-2015, 12:18 PM.
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
      When and where is the documented concussion issues with Wolfe? I have found a single concussion he suffered in TC this season but none before that. He did have a SUPER rare issues last season which caused him all sorts of issues but doctors have that 100% under control. IN addition he is having one of his best seasons ever this year.
      I don't think Wolfe has had any concussion issues. I think what they are thinking of is the spinal injury he had that made him very sick. That spinal injury made him miss some games but when he came back he got really sick because it had not completely healed.

I do not remember Wolfe having any concussion issue.
      sigpic
      Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
      2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
      2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

This is why it was such a huge mistake to sign Demaryius to such a large contract. We're going to need that money to sign key pieces of the team down the road. Makes me twice as mad that we signed him for that when we signed Harris, a player that is 3x as valuable for almost half as much.

That being said:

Von: He needs to give us a home town discount or we need to let him go. 15m a year tops or we're going to lose invaluable players down the road. You can't spend QB money on a non-QB.

Brock: 10m max. He has a lot of potential. I'm a huge believer. But he's putting up decentish numbers with a stud receiving corps. Plus we have Trevor as a pretty exciting prospect.

Malik: Love Malik, but we can't spend more than 5 on him. Especially when we draft and develop the way we do.

Wolfe: Suspension works in our favor. Plus he likes the star power he has with Denver fans. I think we can get him for 3.

Trevathan: Love Danny. We have a lot of depth behind him, and we're really good at finding MLBs in late rounds and among UDFAs. Unless he gives us a massive hometown discount, we should let him go.

When you draft as well as we do, and lure free agents as well as we do, you have to ask yourself, What would Belichick do? Stay disciplined and be ready to let great players walk because cap management is key.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny_Quest View Post
          This is why it was such a huge mistake to sign Demaryius to such a large contract. We're going to need that money to sign key pieces of the team down the road. Makes me twice as mad that we signed him for that when we signed Harris, a player that is 3x as valuable for almost half as much.

That being said:

Von: He needs to give us a home town discount or we need to let him go. 15m a year tops or we're going to lose invaluable players down the road. You can't spend QB money on a non-QB.

Brock: 10m max. He has a lot of potential. I'm a huge believer. But he's putting up decentish numbers with a stud receiving corps. Plus we have Trevor as a pretty exciting prospect.

Malik: Love Malik, but we can't spend more than 5 on him. Especially when we draft and develop the way we do.

Wolfe: Suspension works in our favor. Plus he likes the star power he has with Denver fans. I think we can get him for 3.

Trevathan: Love Danny. We have a lot of depth behind him, and we're really good at finding MLBs in late rounds and among UDFAs. Unless he gives us a massive hometown discount, we should let him go.

When you draft as well as we do, and lure free agents as well as we do, you have to ask yourself, What would Belichick do? Stay disciplined and be ready to let great players walk because cap management is key.
          So basically you're saying we lose all those players because there's absolutely no way we sign any of them at your proposed rates.

Comment

Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
            So basically you're saying we lose all those players because there's absolutely no way we sign any of them at your proposed rates.
            This.

The closest you'll come to any of those is Brock for 10. Wolfe for 3? He's making 1.5 this year under his rookie contract.

What exactly is our track record with inside LBs? Nate Irving? Whether you feel like Trevathan is a priority or not..to assume we're going to draft his replacement like clockwork is naive.

Comment

Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
              I'm sure you'd have said we could never get Harris for 7m a year.

That's the thing about running an elite franchise. Some players want to stay for a reasonable price because they see the big picture.

And, yes, we're going to have to let some of these guys walk. Imagine if we'd backed up the money truck for Franklin and JT, like many on here were screaming to do. We'd be in even worse shape. And look at how we've barely missed them.

We draft well. We develop well. Stick to market values. If JJ Watt is only worth 18m a year, then Von is only worth 15-16.

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
                http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/denver-broncos/

The Broncos UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENTS are as follows:

Von Miller
                Evan Mathis
                Vernon Davis
                Antonio Smith
                David Bruton
                Malik Jackson
                Danny Trevathan
                Andre Caldwell
                Ryan Harris
                Derek Wolfe
                Brock Osweiler
                Ronnie Hillman
                Omar Bolden
                Jordan Norwood
                Tyler Polumbus
                Kyle Williams
                Christian Ponder

Their RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS are as follows:

CJ Anderson
                Brandon Marshall
                Lerentee McCray
                Josh Bush

It's pretty evident that the Broncos are going to tag Von Miller. He's going to command the highest salary of any defensive player in NFL history, which is not something that can be worked out in due course.

I see them keeping one of the MLBs and one of the DEs. My guess would be Brandon Marshall and Malik Jackson, although Derek Wolfe has certainly made it more difficult playing as he has the last few games. Ditto for Trevathan.

That brings us to Brock Osweiler. The thinking at the beginning of the season was that the Broncos would be able to sign Osweiler for a bargain because he would be unproven and teams wouldn't spend a lot of money on an unproven commodity. Well, the cat's out of the bag, and right now Osweiler is going to command $10 million a season EASY. At this point you can make an argument that he can get a Jay Cutler-ish contract worth $15 million, especially given that the Eagles were prepared to offer Sam Bradford a $70+ million contract this past offseason. Osweiler appears that he can be a top-15 quarterback in the NFL, and in a quarterback-starved league top-15 is stellar for many teams.

So, there's a legitimate scenario in which the Broncos may lose Osweiler, and if they don't they will probably have to overspend for him and hope he earns the contract. And if they do re-sign Osweiler and ultimately work out a deal with Von, then there's a possibility we're going to lose A LOT of key pieces, especially on defense, for next year.

I would REALLY hate to be John Elway right now...
                Oz is hardly a top 15 QB at this point. Sacked 10% of the time he drops back. Averaging a bit over 100 yards a game passing

At least 25 QBs with a better Ypc average.

Dream on that he is a top 15 QB

Comment

Great question. I wouldnt lose any sleep trading marshall. I would love to have bruton back....

Comment

Originally posted by Garfield View Post
                    Oz is hardly a top 15 QB at this point. Sacked 10% of the time he drops back. Averaging a bit over 100 yards a game passing

At least 25 QBs with a better Ypc average.

Dream on that he is a top 15 QB
                    He's averaging a bit over 200 yards a game.
                    Adopt-A-Bronco: Jonathon Cooper

Comment

Working...
                    X