Why grading NFL Drafts right when they are done is STUPID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why grading NFL Drafts right when they are done is STUPID

The 2012 draft turned out to be dynamite by Elway. Starters now include Derek Wolfe, Brock Osweiler, Ronnie Hillman, Malik Jackson, and Danny Trevathan. With Omar Bolden being a decent player as well. Look at some of these "grades" when the draft was over. Slamming the draft

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/sport...aft/54629536/1

This one had us worst in the NFL. LOL and the player they said was our "best pick" is out of the league now.

http://www.si.com/nfl/audibles/2012/...l-draft-grades

In this writeup it knocks Wolfe. Said Still and Worthy were better. WRONG

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...t-card/page/11

Again critiquing Wolfe over Still and Worthy.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...broncos-gamble

Probably the most accurate of all.

These grades make me laugh and further my belief in draft grades are stupid and pointless.

Bottom line we got 5 starters in that draft. That is almost unheard of. The only legitimate gripe that you could have made at the time was drafting Brock when you just signed Manning. But right now Brock is on track to be the future QB.
    sigpic

I DK but suddenly the Brock Osweiler, Derek Wolf, Ronnie Hillman and maybe Omar bolden is draft is suddenly looking pretty darn good right now when you say?

Comment

2014 draft is looking good as well. Question, when did we sign CJ to the practice squad?
      Elway has found some decent undrafted players as well.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by VenomousDB View Post
        2014 draft is looking good as well. Question, when did we sign CJ to the practice squad?
        Elway has found some decent undrafted players as well.
        we never had CJ on the practise squad he was signed the 53 as a rookie

broncos are drafting really well and it should be exciting.
        sigpic
        oakland raders gm
        latavis murray trade bait

Comment

I remember 104.3 The Fan's Drive show the night of this draft. Alfred Williams was beside himself because the Broncos didn't get Brandon Thompson and Lamar Miller, basically (Thompson isn't bad, but Miller sucks).

Also, Nate Lundy was pissed off about the Osweiler pick. When Denver was rumored to be looking at a QB with their other second-rounder, someone said that they were looking at Peyton's successor, and Nate said that Brock wasn't it.

Lundy also said that Brock left school early because he knew that he wouldn't have another good season at ASU since Dennis Erickson left, and he went on to say that someone in Dove Valley needed a good kick in the behind for that pick.

Comment

Originally posted by Kyousukeneko View Post
            we never had CJ on the practise squad he was signed the 53 as a rookie

broncos are drafting really well and it should be exciting.
            Oh yeah I stand corrected
            sigpic

Comment

Juwan & CJ were both UDFA Rookies who made the 53 man roster. Back-to-back years. I think grading drafts right away is a great way to try and jump out and have something out there early to point back to and say you were right but aside form that it is useless.

I do think it is fair to grade and comment on players after a complete season. That said it should be done on a team by team basis. Every team is looking for different players. For example the Browns needed and still need players to come in right now and play well. The Broncos need far fewer of these types of players as we have drafted well and acquired some top tier FA's in the past 3-4 years.

Comment

Some would say grading a draft is stupid until a players career is over

still people will grade it the night the draft is completed and as many times as possible after.
                Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by JBBronco1 View Post
                  I remember 104.3 The Fan's Drive show the night of this draft. Alfred Williams was beside himself because the Broncos didn't get Brandon Thompson and Lamar Miller, basically (Thompson isn't bad, but Miller sucks).

Also, Nate Lundy was pissed off about the Osweiler pick. When Denver was rumored to be looking at a QB with their other second-rounder, someone said that they were looking at Peyton's successor, and Nate said that Brock wasn't it.

Lundy also said that Brock left school early because he knew that he wouldn't have another good season at ASU since Dennis Erickson left, and he went on to say that someone in Dove Valley needed a good kick in the behind for that pick.
                  Nate Lundy is the biggest waste of air time ever conceived. He adds no value to any show and is on the air only because he is the program director and calls his own number.

Comment

Actually Lamar Miller is a very good player. Broncos are a bit thin a RB, he would be a nice option right about now.
                    We are going with Plan A

Comment

Admittedly I was not a big fan of Osweiler at first either. Let's be honest though, he's come a long way. Elway's eye for potential talent is unbelievable. He looked like a perennial backup his first few preseasons and now he looks like he could start for a good portion of the NFL.

Comment

Actually Lamar Miller is a very good player. Broncos are a bit thin a RB, he would be a nice option right about now.
                        I am not that impressed with him from what I saw against NE. He didn't burst to the hole that one time, and it ended up costing them a first down in the 3rd quarter when they may have been able to get back in the game. I also wasn't that impressed with him in other games, either. He really isn't that great.

Comment

Originally posted by Springs View Post
                          Admittedly I was not a big fan of Osweiler at first either. Let's be honest though, he's come a long way. Elway's eye for potential talent is unbelievable. He looked like a perennial backup his first few preseasons and now he looks like he could start for a good portion of the NFL.
                          While Brock has impressed - it took Cutler 2½ seasons here to string 3 victories together - we have to moderate things a bit. We have an absolute elite defense and what we are seeing is a functional offense with a new starter. We don't know what we have YET but there is a lot to be excited about. Our defensive player are benefiting immensely from Elway choosing Von Miller, and having two strong pass rushers at all time. We have had a lot of cast off players filling those roles well, but it is exciting to see what the future holds with Brock and crew

We have gotten solid players from the draft, but it has been in FA that Elway has excelled, and

Comment

yes it has turned out pretty good now we just have to hope we can resign a few of those guys

Comment

Winning and coaching and QB play makes a lot of drafts look better than they are.

You bring in a Wade Philips, Ware and other defensive players look better. You have solid to very good QB play, you are in most games and will win a high percentage of them with a very good defense.

Let's not forget using starters on special teams has also made an impact, so there is another coaching philosophy change that has paid off for you guys. Elway getting Talib, Ward, Ware etc. in free agency, their importance cannot be understated in making this D a more complete unit in terms of teaching the others as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X