Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Worst O-line since the 70s?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Worst O-line since the 70s?

    Do we need to go back to the Steve Tensi era to find a worse offensive line? Can anyone name a team who won the Super Bowl with a line worse than ours?

    Denver will be a one-and-done wildcard. I'm already looking ahead to free agency and the draft.

  • #2
    I thought the O-Line was a bit above average today. Which was a great improvement.
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
      I thought the O-Line was a bit above average today. Which was a great improvement.
      Except for the second half when they couldn't give Oz enough time to generate any more point.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
        Except for the second half when they couldn't give Oz enough time to generate any more point.
        Meh, I thought protection was pretty good in the 2nd half. Their DBs just locked down our WRs.
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          With two starters on IR and a rent-vet in Mathis, yeah I'd go on a limb and say maybe. This is really a question for Samparnell

          Comment


          • #6
            It's pretty bad offensive line overall not sure it's that bad.
            sigpic

            Comment


            • #7
              It's the biggest impediment for a potential deep postseason run, even though they played fairly well today (from what I saw on the first watch of the game). When you look at the core units of the 1997 and 1998 teams (or even 2005 or 2013), you're talking about much, much stronger offensive lines than this one; it's incredibly tough to sustain postseason success with such an unreliable front and - with Denver's ball possession problems and inability to sustain second-half drives of late - it's not a good formula for winning. Eventually, a superb defense will wear out. And that's what you finally saw happen today.


              But, to answer your question...NO, it's not even remotely close to the worst. Elway played with some dismal units in the early-mid 1990's.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Fred Williams View Post
                Do we need to go back to the Steve Tensi era to find a worse offensive line? Can anyone name a team who won the Super Bowl with a line worse than ours?

                Denver will be a one-and-done wildcard. I'm already looking ahead to free agency and the draft.
                I tend to remember that towards the end of the season just before each time Steve took a snap he would flinch knowing was going to happen to him.



                He was supposed to be the answer for us, IIRC he was a really big guy 6-3 or so with a BIG arm, but he soon was neutered from the beating he took

                Comment


                • #9
                  This unit has sucked for years. Manning's quick release and a slightly better running game made them seem better.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Buckeye Bronco View Post
                    This unit has sucked for years. Manning's quick release and a slightly better running game made them seem better.
                    I don't totally agree; they were really solid in 2012 (Koppen was a really good pickup) and pretty good in 2013 despite the absence of Clady. But the current iteration is the weakest of the four years with Manning, by a longshot.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by TheAnimalYears View Post
                      I don't totally agree; they were really solid in 2012 (Koppen was a really good pickup) and pretty good in 2013 despite the absence of Clady. But the current iteration is the weakest of the four years with Manning, by a longshot.
                      of course it is not one guy played next to the guy beside him last year. NOT ONE.

                      good OLs take years in some cases to be complete, and then ONLY then can you plug in a new guy and there is less of a burp.

                      IF we had 5 top ten draft picks (read major talent) on the OL that may be one thing to plug and play move folks around until you find their best spots.

                      But we do not have even one first rounder let alone top ten pick on the starting unit. we have some twos and threes and those are all later pick in s=each round.

                      meaning that the pick of the litter were long gone and we are getting maybe the 5-8th best guy at the spot in each draft. Now you can find great players everyone once in a while but planning on it each draft is silly.

                      Picking an OC in the first late 25-30 is solid because that is usually the best guy in that draft.
                      top OT go by #10 maybe 15
                      top OGs go by the mid 20's

                      Now I'm not advocating that we have 5 top guys on the OL 3 would be good OLT, OC and a guard the others have to be solid second rounders IMO.

                      My idea draft would be a 1st or second in every draft going to either OL or DL. Maybe even both for a year or two.
                      That way you are able to sustain quality and still be able to lose a few when the money gets to be to much when the rookie contracts expire.

                      we all know that IF you control the LOS unless you lose a turn over battle your going to win more games than you lose.

                      the players behind them are going to be better than they really are. you do not have to spend top picks for RB's, ILB's or DB's because they simply have less to do because the hogs up front are doing most of the grunt work.

                      Would our Defense be rated as good as it is without those DL guys (I include the OLBs with the DL) and the rotation the have?

                      then look at our OL Vasquez is it folks Garcia maybe be a keeper as well as Paradis

                      It shows our running game is spotty at best pass protection is the worst I've seen in years. IMO it has knocked Manning out of the last year and will get OZ hurt if they do not spend some top picks or UFA guys to fix it.


                      Do not count on Clady who has seen little QUALITY action since his Knee injury WAY BACK. His contract precludes keeping him after this year especially since his injury history is what it is.
                      Matthis is gone unless NO ONE bites on his declining skills frankly not sure he is worth keeping at any cost.


                      TY MAYBE teh answer at OLT but something tells me the way they went after Joe T they are not sold on him yet.

                      SO we have three maybe OL guys to fill 5 spots and another 3-4 backup depth buys.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Our OL is not even the worst in the league this season.

                        The Chargers have been decimated across the OL. The Patriots also have several issues but keep winning because of Brady.
                        sigpic

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Fred Williams View Post
                          Do we need to go back to the Steve Tensi era to find a worse offensive line? Can anyone name a team who won the Super Bowl with a line worse than ours?

                          Denver will be a one-and-done wildcard. I'm already looking ahead to free agency and the draft.
                          Steve Tensi played his last game as a pro football player in 1970 when he started two games for the Denver Broncos. IDK if I'd call it the "Steve Tensi Era".

                          During the ten years between Frank Tripucka and Charley Johnson, twelve QBs started games for the Denver Broncos: Jacky Lee; Mickey Slaughter; John McCormick; Max Choboian; Scotty Glacken; Steve Tensi; Jim LeClair; Marlin Briscoe; Pete Liske; Alan Pastrana; Steve Ramsey; and, Don Horn.

                          My favorite was Marlin Briscoe, the first African-American pro QB.

                          In the Sixties, the Denver Broncos had several All-Pro O-Linemen: Ken Adamson; Jerry Sturm; Eldon Danenhauer; Larry Kaminski; Mike Current; and, George Goedekke.
                          Last edited by samparnell; 12-22-2015, 09:22 AM.
                          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                            Our OL is not even the worst in the league this season.

                            The Chargers have been decimated across the OL. The Patriots also have several issues but keep winning because of Brady.
                            I have watched several Pats games and while their OL is not up to their usual standard to compare their OL to ours is not even the same ball park...not even the same sport....want to rub my feet? Ok jokes aside

                            Chargers...ya they suck...and a few other teams too

                            IMO tho most of the Pats back up guys were already better than our starters so I guess someone can look at their injury report for the season and think it is the same but when you watch them play you realize it is not

                            Also when our has its bad moments...and a few times entire bad games...you can put Brady...or any Qb in the history of the NFL...behind it and they will struggle badly. I think Elway, Young, Randal Cunningham and Fran Tarkenton would all struggle behind our OL and those are some of the best QBs on the top of my mind that I have seen struggle behind poor OL but still have the ability to make things happen.

                            Just not much a Qb can do when guys are essentially beating the OL so bad they may as well be running free. I mean I am watching OL get beat so badly the RB does not have time to double team the DL.

                            They have their good moments and that is only reason they are not worst OL in the NFL this year but I think it is not by chance the OL and its roller coaster ride going up and down is much like our teams roller coaster ride going up and down all season.
                            Let's Ride!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                              Steve Tensi played his last game as a pro football player in 1970 when he started two games for the Denver Broncos. IDK if I'd call it the "Steve Tensi Era".

                              During the ten years between Frank Tripucka and Charley Johnson, twelve QBs started games for the Denver Broncos: Jacky Lee; Mickey Slaughter; John McCormick; Max Choboian; Scotty Glacken; Steve Tensi; Jim LeClair; Marlin Briscoe; Pete Liske; Alan Pastrana; Steve Ramsey; and, Don Horn.

                              My favorite was Marlin Briscoe, the first African-American pro QB.

                              In the Sixties, the Denver Broncos had several All-Pro O-Linemen: Ken Adamson; Jerry Sturm; Eldon Danenhauer; Larry Kaminski; Mike Current; and, George Goedekke.
                              Not many of us remember that era. I remember Marlon Briscoe's long passes. He would throw the ball 40 yards, but it would go about 40 yards high, as well. Long looping passes. And he was a little guy who doubled up at WR if I remember correctly. AND as you point out, the first Black QB!!!!

                              And how about that Don Horn. Wasn't he a Green Bay castoff? Didn't he play under Lombardi?

                              Mike Current, Larry Kaminski, and George Doedekke are the linemen that I remember, and was impressed with as a15 year old Broncos fan.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X