No announcement yet.

Replacing the 97 98 Broncos with 2015 Players

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The biggest diff between then and now? Alex Gibbs. Turned our O line into the nastiest bunch of bulldozers the AFC had ever seen (the only NFC equivalent during the SB era was The Hogs in DC). Of course I love TD to death, but remember in the early 2000's after his injury we kept churning out 1000+ yd no name rushers behind that mean OL. I loved how they refused to talk to the media...ya, they had attitude in spades. If we could just put Schlereth, Nalen, and Zimmerman & Lepsis in a time machine and bring them to 2015 we'd be steamrolling the league
    "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
    PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
    LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

Originally posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post

But the rules changes in 2002 really affected the game so profoundly, you can't compare teams. However, if I had to assemble our best roster here is my stab at it. Offensively, i would take all the 97-98 offense, and swap out Sanders and Thomas for Smith and McCaffrey. They are heart and soul guys who made our team work, but Thomas and Sanders have so much more speed and talent.
      DT has dropped more passes in a year than Smith or McCaffrey did all their careers combined. If Rod Smit or E. Mc are the WRs last Sunday, we win the game. What good is athleticism if you drop the ball at crucial times. A great run doesn't erase drive killing drops. We didn't drop balls then....that's clutch and what it takes to win.

athletic ability is sexy, but catching is #1. Sanders would fit with that squad....maybe replace McCaffrey w/him....but 87 was an awesome blocker. I'd trade DT for about anything right now. If a Corvette only starts 60% of the time it's not that good.
      John and TD should get their own wing in Canton.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis.1960 View Post
        The biggest diff between then and now? Alex Gibbs. Turned our O line into the nastiest bunch of bulldozers the AFC had ever seen (the only NFC equivalent during the SB era was The Hogs in DC). Of course I love TD to death, but remember in the early 2000's after his injury we kept churning out 1000+ yd no name rushers behind that mean OL. I loved how they refused to talk to the media...ya, they had attitude in spades. If we could just put Schlereth, Nalen, and Zimmerman & Lepsis in a time machine and bring them to 2015 we'd be steamrolling the league
        For sure. Over the course of Tom Nalen's career as a starter (95-2005), year in and year out we were in the top five in rushing yards, many times being #1. I don't believe any team had more rushing yards over that span. I tried to do the research on Pro Football Reference to confirm the numbers, but it entails too much work.

The HOF Selection Committee won't take Terrell because they say he was the product of the system. They won't taken Nalen because they say he had Terrell. Ridiculous. They both belong.

Comment

Originally posted by SM19
          The '98 offense with this defense would be unquestionably the greatest team in NFL history.
          Personally I already consider that team one of the best ever.

If that was a Steeler NY or Dal team that went back to back and had maybe the best running game ever built it would already be a top 10 or top 5 team in most eyes

Have never seen any other team run it so often on 3rd and 5 or 3rd and 6 and convert.

Even Emmit and the Cowboys would pass on those downs
          Let's Ride!

Comment

Originally posted by ELWAY421 View Post
            Our running game was so dominant no team in the history of the game! None of em, 85 Bears, Steelers of the 70's, none of them!
            Agreed. And that list is missing Gary Zimmerman on the 97 team, who is a HOFer.
            We are going with Plan A

Comment

I'll make it easy, I would take the entire 98 offense and I would take the 2015 Defense with the exceptions of swapping Anunike for Neil Smith, Walker for Williams and Bush for Atwater.

I thought about the reciever swap, but our recievers back then would block and I wouldn't trade that in that offense and Smith and Elway had so much chemistry together.

I would also take Rouen over Colquitt
              My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

Working...
              X