Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FL BRONCO
    replied
    I'll make it easy, I would take the entire 98 offense and I would take the 2015 Defense with the exceptions of swapping Anunike for Neil Smith, Walker for Williams and Bush for Atwater.

I thought about the reciever swap, but our recievers back then would block and I wouldn't trade that in that offense and Smith and Elway had so much chemistry together.

I would also take Rouen over Colquitt

Leave a comment:

• Turf Nazi
    replied
    Originally posted by ELWAY421 View Post
    Our running game was so dominant no team in the history of the game! None of em, 85 Bears, Steelers of the 70's, none of them!
    Agreed. And that list is missing Gary Zimmerman on the 97 team, who is a HOFer.

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied
    Originally posted by SM19
    The '98 offense with this defense would be unquestionably the greatest team in NFL history.
    Personally I already consider that team one of the best ever.

If that was a Steeler NY or Dal team that went back to back and had maybe the best running game ever built it would already be a top 10 or top 5 team in most eyes

Have never seen any other team run it so often on 3rd and 5 or 3rd and 6 and convert.

Even Emmit and the Cowboys would pass on those downs

Leave a comment:

• GiddyupGetEm
    replied
    Originally posted by Dennis.1960 View Post
    The biggest diff between then and now? Alex Gibbs. Turned our O line into the nastiest bunch of bulldozers the AFC had ever seen (the only NFC equivalent during the SB era was The Hogs in DC). Of course I love TD to death, but remember in the early 2000's after his injury we kept churning out 1000+ yd no name rushers behind that mean OL. I loved how they refused to talk to the media...ya, they had attitude in spades. If we could just put Schlereth, Nalen, and Zimmerman & Lepsis in a time machine and bring them to 2015 we'd be steamrolling the league
    For sure. Over the course of Tom Nalen's career as a starter (95-2005), year in and year out we were in the top five in rushing yards, many times being #1. I don't believe any team had more rushing yards over that span. I tried to do the research on Pro Football Reference to confirm the numbers, but it entails too much work.

The HOF Selection Committee won't take Terrell because they say he was the product of the system. They won't taken Nalen because they say he had Terrell. Ridiculous. They both belong.

Leave a comment:

• since1977
    replied
    Originally posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post

But the rules changes in 2002 really affected the game so profoundly, you can't compare teams. However, if I had to assemble our best roster here is my stab at it. Offensively, i would take all the 97-98 offense, and swap out Sanders and Thomas for Smith and McCaffrey. They are heart and soul guys who made our team work, but Thomas and Sanders have so much more speed and talent.
    DT has dropped more passes in a year than Smith or McCaffrey did all their careers combined. If Rod Smit or E. Mc are the WRs last Sunday, we win the game. What good is athleticism if you drop the ball at crucial times. A great run doesn't erase drive killing drops. We didn't drop balls then....that's clutch and what it takes to win.

athletic ability is sexy, but catching is #1. Sanders would fit with that squad....maybe replace McCaffrey w/him....but 87 was an awesome blocker. I'd trade DT for about anything right now. If a Corvette only starts 60% of the time it's not that good.

Leave a comment:

• Dennis.1960
    replied
    The biggest diff between then and now? Alex Gibbs. Turned our O line into the nastiest bunch of bulldozers the AFC had ever seen (the only NFC equivalent during the SB era was The Hogs in DC). Of course I love TD to death, but remember in the early 2000's after his injury we kept churning out 1000+ yd no name rushers behind that mean OL. I loved how they refused to talk to the media...ya, they had attitude in spades. If we could just put Schlereth, Nalen, and Zimmerman & Lepsis in a time machine and bring them to 2015 we'd be steamrolling the league

Leave a comment:

• GiddyupGetEm
    replied
    Back to the OP. The offensive philosophy is very similar. After all, Kubiak was the OC at that time and hasn't modified his offensive philosophy since. The biggest difference is our offensive line was remarkably mobile and innovative. Alex Gibbs took a bunch of spare parts and turned them into a Cadillac.

But the rules changes in 2002 really affected the game so profoundly, you can't compare teams. However, if I had to assemble our best roster here is my stab at it. Offensively, i would take all the 97-98 offense, and swap out Sanders and Thomas for Smith and McCaffrey. They are heart and soul guys who made our team work, but Thomas and Sanders have so much more speed and talent. On defense, I would take today's defense, except swap out Atwater and Mobley for Ward and Trevathan.

Leave a comment:

• ozzies94ta
    replied
    No one wants colquitt over rouen?

/sarcasm
    Last edited by ozzies94ta; 12-22-2015, 08:55 AM.

Leave a comment:

• darryn16
    replied
    Originally posted by EddieMac View Post
    1998 roster:

Quarterbacks -One change

6 Bubby Brister
    7 John Elway
    14 Brian Griese - Oz

Running backs - No changes

30 Terrell Davis
    29 Howard Griffith FB
    22 Vaughn Hebron
    31 Derek Loville
    37 Anthony Lynn FB
    42 Detron Smith FB

Wide receivers - 2 Changes

83 Justin Armour - DT
    85 Willie Green
    87 Ed McCaffrey
    82 Marcus Nash - Sanders
    80 Rod Smith

Tight ends - No Changes

89 Dwayne Carswell
    86 Byron Chamberlain
    84 Shannon Sharpe

Offensive linemen - Hell no changes

79 Chris Banks G
    63 David Diaz-Infante G
    77 Tony Jones T
    78 Matt Lepsis T
    66 Tom Nalen C
    62 Dan Neil G
    69 Mark Schlereth G
    74 Harry Swayne T

Defensive linemen - Couple of changes

73 Cyron Brown DE
    96 Harald Hasselbach DE
    72 Ernest Jones DE
    97 Mike Lodish DT
    93 Trevor Pryce DT
    90 Neil Smith DE
    98 Maa Tanuvasa DE
    94 Keith Traylor DT
    95 Marvin Washington DT
    91 Alfred Williams DE

Would try and fit Sly Williams in and Wolf for better depth.

Linebackers - couple of changes

56 Keith Burns MLB
    59 Glenn Cadrez OLB
    99 Seth Joyner OLB
    51 John Mobley OLB
    53 Bill Romanowski OLB
    54 Nate Wayne OLB

Get Von in on that rotation...

Defensive backs - Some changes

27 Steve Atwater FS
    34 Tyrone Braxton SS
    26 Eric Brown SS
    48 George Coghill FS
    39 Ray Crockett CB
    21 Darrien Gordon CB
    20 Tory James CB
    25 Darrius Johnson CB
    28 Tito Paul CB

Talib, Harris would strengthen that backfield

Special teams - No Changes.

1 Jason Elam K
    16 Tom Rouen P

Very little to move and more for depth than replacing starters.... hey they won a Superbowl with that team...not much to tweak.
    Man, just looking at this roster makes me think back to the glory days.

Leave a comment:

• duhyaj
    replied
    You have it all wrong. Your are comparing the offenses, I'm saying the defenses couldn't stop our running game, and I believe it whole heartedly. It wasn't just about TD, our offensive line was one of the best of all time. Week in, and week out opposing teams knew we were gonna run the ball down their throats, and couldn't stop it!

If you remember correctly a lot of those games TD was benched at half or the third quarter. He could've shattered the all time single season rushing record.

As far as Walter Payton and Mercury Morris and all of the greats, I'm a firm believer that the modern day athletes are bigger, stronger, faster, so it's hard to compare for me.
    Exactly William perry was considered huge at 6'2" 325 that is average for a d tackle for the most part now days.

Leave a comment:

• ELWAY421
    replied
    Originally posted by Rancid View Post
    Better than the 85 Bears or 72 Dolphins? I saw them all, and as good as TD was, he was no Walter Payton, Neal Anderson, Mercury Morris, Jim Kick or Larry Csonka-- not even close-- not even in the same league, except maybe Jim Kick. I am calling you out on this one.
    You have it all wrong. Your are comparing the offenses, I'm saying the defenses couldn't stop our running game, and I believe it whole heartedly. It wasn't just about TD, our offensive line was one of the best of all time. Week in, and week out opposing teams knew we were gonna run the ball down their throats, and couldn't stop it!

If you remember correctly a lot of those games TD was benched at half or the third quarter. He could've shattered the all time single season rushing record.

As far as Walter Payton and Mercury Morris and all of the greats, I'm a firm believer that the modern day athletes are bigger, stronger, faster, so it's hard to compare for me.
    Last edited by ELWAY421; 12-21-2015, 07:44 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Rancid
    replied
    Our running game was so dominant no team in the history of the game! None of em, 85 Bears, Steelers of the 70's, none of them!
    Better than the 85 Bears or 72 Dolphins? I saw them all, and as good as TD was, he was no Walter Payton, Neal Anderson, Mercury Morris, Jim Kick or Larry Csonka-- not even close-- not even in the same league, except maybe Jim Kick. I am calling you out on this one.

Leave a comment:

• ELWAY421
    replied

Leave a comment:

• 58Miller
    replied
    Qb Elway/Qb Brister /BROCK
    Rb TD/Loville/CJ
    Fb Griffith
    WR MCaffrey/DT
    WR SANDERS/Smith/ Latimer
    TE Sharpe/Carswell/Chamberlain
    LT CLADY/SAMBRAILO
    LG Schelereth/Mathis
    C Nalen /Paradis
    RG Neil/GARCIA
    RT Jones/ Swayne
    DEFENSE
    FS Braxton/STEWART
    SS Atwater/TJ
    CB TALIB/Gordon
    CB HARRIS/Crockett/ROBY
    Mlb MARSHALL/Burns
    WLB Mobley/Trevethan
    SLB Romonoski/ Cadrez
    RE VON/Williams
    DT Traylor/Tanuvasa
    DT Pryce/Malik
    LE Smith/Ware
    K Elam
    P Rouen
    Ret -Gordon
    I know many will question DT and Sanders over Macaffrey and Rod but the speed these guys have and Elways arm would have been scary. Back in the day Von and Ware could have played end, CJ would have been good behind that line, can't swap Romo for Von at SLB Romo to good in coverage.

Leave a comment:

• TheAnimalYears
    replied
    Originally posted by DEN4EVER View Post
    Does TJ play in the same spot as Atwater ? if not ill take Ward over braxton.
    Not sure if its an upgrade, as i wasnt following football as closely back then as i am now.
    Braxton could be a liability in coverage at times (as is Ward), but he played extremely well in both playoff runs.

As for Atwater, well let's just say Ward doesn't touch him with a 10-foot pole. Atwater remains your starter.

Not particularly interested in #1 or #3; as far as #2, you had one of the greatest QB's in NFL history dictating an offense more efficiently than he ever had in his career, you had one of the greatest running backs in NFL history, you had a tremendous blocking fullback with good hands, you had two special wide receivers (and an effective #3 option), you had one of the greatest tight ends in NFL history, you had an absolutely stellar offensive line, you had an incredibly opportunistic defense with a penchant for taking the ball away and making plays at the right time.

In other words, there is no comparison of the 1997 or 1998 teams to the 2015 team. They were on another planet. The Green Bay team they defeated in Super Bowl XXXII (and it was no mistake that Denver won that game) was one of the greatest losing sides in Super Bowl history. And Denver really pushed them around.
    Last edited by TheAnimalYears; 12-21-2015, 04:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X