Elway Wants Brock to Stay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by LynchMobster View Post
    ^ This, and it IS money-related too. His value in future contracts will go up if he is successful, and success is aided by being in the right system and surrounded by a good team. Denver gives him the best chance for his career to flourish.
    not necessarily. Dallas, NYG, NE, Texans, SD are all viable landing spots where he could have a good shot at success. However, some of those teams would require him to be a backup for at least a year....something he is probably not willing to do.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by broncos SB2010 View Post
      not necessarily. Dallas, NYG, NE, Texans, SD are all viable landing spots where he could have a good shot at success. However, some of those teams would require him to be a backup for at least a year....something he is probably not willing to do.
      Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Rivers, Romo, and Eli all locked up if Brock went to any of those spots wouldn't he be the back up?
      Houston would be a decent spot but Denver in an offense he already knows and two book end tackles coming back to protect him next year seems the best local but I'm probably bias.
      sigpic

Comment

4-12 SD's a mess and in upheaval. Regardless, I think we're talking about starting jobs and starting salaries. Who's going to pay extraordinary salary for him as a backup and why would he want to leave to sit behind another Manning, or Brady? He's been on the pine for four years.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016
        2021 Adopted Bronco: Von Miller

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
          I projected the stats from the 8 games Brock appeared in this year, this show what he was on pace for if he had started all 16 games:

340 of 550 (61.8% comp), 3952 yards, 20 TD, 12 INT, 46 sacks

Something interesting is these numbers are nearly identical to Kyle Orton's numbers in 2009:

336 of 541 (62.1% comp), 3802 yards, 21 TD, 12 INT, 29 sacks
          And nowhere near as good as Brian Griese in his 3rd year as a pro when projected over 16 games:

346 / 538 (64.3%) for 4301yds 30 TD 6 Int 27 sacks
          Last edited by Jason Sitoke; 01-05-2016, 06:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
            Is that what's best for him though? Let's say Cleveland will pay him $20 a year and Denver $15 where would he have the best chance to be successful ? What's best for him isn't just money related.
            We can make up a variety of numbers and situations, but it really comes down to what Brock would want. In this example, for a 4 year contract, that's an extra $20 million.

We can also say, what if Houston offers him $15 million for 5 years, $40 million guaranteed and we offer him $10 million for 2 years, $15 million guaranteed?

I think I'll leave it up to Brock to determine what he thinks is best for him.

Comment

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't Rivers, Romo, and Eli all locked up if Brock went to any of those spots wouldn't he be the back up?
              Houston would be a decent spot but Denver in an offense he already knows and two book end tackles coming back to protect him next year seems the best local but I'm probably bias.
              Originally posted by LynchMobster View Post
              4-12 SD's a mess and in upheaval. Regardless, I think we're talking about starting jobs and starting salaries. Who's going to pay extraordinary salary for him as a backup and why would he want to leave to sit behind another Manning, or Brady? He's been on the pine for four years.
              ...as I said...he probably wouldn't want to be a backup. However...Romo and Eli are both 35 and Brady is 38 so they won 't last too much longer. edit...Forgot NE has Garoppolo who looked good in his time so take that one off the list.

Just throwing that out for discussion since there are other opportunities out there for him. It's not like Denver is his only shot at success.

I also don't think SD is as bad as their record. Most of their issues were injuries, not so much lack of talent. 2nd edit...just looked at Rivers contract and he just signed a new 5 year deal. For some reason I thought his contract was almost up.
              Last edited by broncos SB2010; 01-05-2016, 06:08 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Sitoke View Post
                I think Elway should feel comfortable with that. I don't think Osweiler is seen as some rare talent by the rest of the league. Although stranger things can happen, and certainly lesser quarterbacks with much less film have gotten paid (Matt Flynn).
                Much of the situation will be based on what other QBs are available? Are Kap, Brees, RG3, Stafford all cut and on the market? This may lower Brock's value. If none of them are on the market, Brock's value could rise. Supply/demand in action.

Comment

...as I said...he probably wouldn't want to be a backup. However...Romo and Eli are both 35 and Brady is 38 so they won 't last too much longer. edit...Forgot NE has Garoppolo who looked good in his time so take that one off the list.

Just throwing that out for discussion since there are other opportunities out there for him. It's not like Denver is his only shot at success.
                  I'm sure they'll be a lot of opportunities for him. Cleveland, SF, STL, Philadelphia, & Houston all should be interested.
                  sigpic

Comment

Is that what's best for him though? Let's say Cleveland will pay him $20 a year and Denver $15 where would he have the best chance to be successful ? What's best for him isn't just money related.
                    That's tough. But I have to think he would take that bit less and stay here, provided it isn't a lengthy contract. 3-4 years at that salary on a good team like us will allow him to get the stats and wins. Then when the contract is expiring, he'll be entering his prime at 28-29 and in a great position to earn a huge deal.

Now if that 20 per from Cleveland is a long term deal, he'd be wise to just take that. Since 20 per over 5-6 years is big money. But if it's similar in length to ours, he'd be better off here. He could go to a crap team, lose some games and not have the best stats with a terrible supporting cast. Thus losing him long term money.

Comment

Originally posted by lvbronx View Post
                      We can make up a variety of numbers and situations, but it really comes down to what Brock would want. In this example, for a 4 year contract, that's an extra $20 million.

We can also say, what if Houston offers him $15 million for 5 years, $40 million guaranteed and we offer him $10 million for 2 years, $15 million guaranteed?

It will be up to him but a guy that wants the most dollars and not the best situation to win is about money first not winning. Julius Thomas comes to mind.
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by lvbronx View Post

That's a $75 million contract vs $20 million.... That's a no brainer. He picks Texans easily in that case and would probably be upset if we low balled him like that.

Comment

Originally posted by Papa-pwn View Post
                          That's tough. But I have to think he would take that bit less and stay here, provided it isn't a lengthy contract. 3-4 years at that salary on a good team like us will allow him to get the stats and wins. Then when the contract is expiring, he'll be entering his prime at 28-29 and in a great position to earn a huge deal.

Now if that 20 per from Cleveland is a long term deal, he'd be wise to just take that. Since 20 per over 5-6 years is big money. But if it's similar in length to ours, he'd be better off here. He could go to a crap team, lose some games and not have the best stats with a terrible supporting cast. Thus losing him long term money.
                          If he wins a lot more doors open, Lets say he plays in Cleveland and after two years they can the coach. The new staff will look at that $20 when they plan to rebuild.
                          Elway drafted him and if he thinks he can be to franchise Qb he will get something done. Qb, LT and Shutdown corners are the hardest positions to find in the null teams don't let those guys walk.
                          sigpic

Comment

I also don't think SD is as bad as their record. Most of their issues were injuries, not so much lack of talent. 2nd edit...just looked at Rivers contract and he just signed a new 5 year deal. For some reason I thought his contract was almost up.
                            He's 25 with 10-15 years left. Pretty sure he doesn't want to spend another 4-5 on the bench waiting for another star to retire.

Bolts are being jerked out of their city and possibly out of the conference. McCoy got a mulligan for this season but he's probably on the hotseat and that may overturn if they don't clinch a playoff berth next year -that's the franchise upheaval to which I refer.

He was drafted and developed by us and has Elway in his corner, and he now has some experience in this system, so I stand by what I said-- Denver gives him the best (never said "only") chance for his career to flourish.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016
                            2021 Adopted Bronco: Von Miller

Comment

Originally posted by mojo0730 View Post
                              Based on comments Kubiak made at halftime, and how quickly he pulled Brock from the game even though they were only down by 6 points (and he was going to pull Brock anyway regardless of San Diego scored).

And I think Brock would have strong reservations about playing for a coach who doesn't have confidence in him. That's just common sense.
                              I'm on the fence with how Brock "should" feel regarding what went down on Sunday. While he was playing reasonably well, the rest of the team looked like they were acting out a Benny Hill skit. That's about the time when a seasoned veteran quarterback says what needs to be said on the sidelines and in the huddle to help right the ship. Perhaps Kubes recognized that Manning's LOS adjustments and audibles would be hugely impacting based on what they saw from San Diego's defense...and/or that he possessed the leadership to right the ship, at a critical time.

Having a five time MVP on the bench backing up a QB making only his seventh career start (with playoff implications) is pretty unusual. Hopefully, Os himself would acknowledge that the end result of the coaching decision to make the in-game QB switch produced a much needed W.

All of the stories I've read concerning Brock's character going back to his high school days in Montana, indicate that he's humble, and I genuinely believe that he's team first, as opposed to "me first." I like Brock, and I'm going to just hope that while he was probably butt-hurt at the decision, acknowledged that it was probably the right decision at that specific moment in time and space. He played well, the team did not.
                              To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

Originally posted by ArchAngel View Post
                                I still think Elway brings in a veteran QB, if anything, to push Brock into the next level. Competetion is good for motivation.
                                Bubby Brister is a free agent

Comment

Working...
                                X