Kubiak must prove himself in the playoffs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kubiak must prove himself in the playoffs

I'm not saying it's Superbowl or bust. However, Kubiak certainly has to show he is capable of preparing the team better than John Fox did. Denver has had a number of successful regular seasons lately, but has faded badly in the playoffs. It's one thing to lose. I mean, this team is far from perfect. But, as Elway said, we had better go out "kicking and screaming."

I personally feel Kubiak needs to at least get us to the AFC title game. Not that it will be easy. Our two likeliest opponents are the Big Ben led Steelers and the red hot Chiefs. Most pundits would probably pick against us in either scenario. Both teams have excellent coaches in Tomlin and Reid, respectively. Kubiak has to step it up, just as the team does. At the very least we can't have an outcome that resembles what happened against Seattle in the SB or Indy in the divisional round.

It's do or die time . It isn't we will get em next week. Everyone has to be on their game . That's from the head coach down to the kicker . Do their assigned job , protect the rock and reap the rewards .

Comment

Kubiak has what it takes. Watch the Playoff highlights from last year. He called an EXCELLENT game and barring a blown coverage on a trick play they would have beat the Pats at home.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014...avens-patriots

This is comforting....
      Last edited by Bocks; 01-06-2016, 07:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by gerontion View Post
        I'm not saying it's Superbowl or bust. However, Kubiak certainly has to show he is capable of preparing the team better than John Fox did. Denver has had a number of successful regular seasons lately, but has faded badly in the playoffs. It's one thing to lose. I mean, this team is far from perfect. But, as Elway said, we had better go out "kicking and screaming."

I personally feel Kubiak needs to at least get us to the AFC title game. Not that it will be easy. Our two likeliest opponents are the Big Ben led Steelers and the red hot Chiefs. Most pundits would probably pick against us in either scenario. Both teams have excellent coaches in Tomlin and Reid, respectively. Kubiak has to step it up, just as the team does. At the very least we can't have an outcome that resembles what happened against Seattle in the SB or Indy in the divisional round.
        I know everyone likes to always blame the coaches around here instead of the players for how they played.

Comment

Kubiak needs to do a job, but he isn't the one dropping easy passes, failing to protect the QB, throwing multiple picks, or commiting silly personal fouls in critical situations.

From where I'm sitting, the team are either putting in excellent first half performances and bad second half ones, or the other way round. Everyone needs to do the business for 60 minutes, not just 30. Some of the games we won, we found dramatic ways to win, but they were on a knife-edge and could easily have went the other way.

Sure, Kubiak needs to step up, but offense, defense and special teams cannot afford to only turn it on for only 30 minutes in the playoffs. In my book, that's the major issue facing us - getting it right for the full 60.
          Renfrewshire Scotland - Colorado USA

Comment

Originally posted by Jim Mora View Post
            I know everyone likes to always blame the coaches around here instead of the players for how they played.
            Can you share an example?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Bocks View Post
              Kubiak has what it takes. Watch the Playoff highlights from last year. He called an EXCELLENT game and barring a blown coverage on a trick play they would have beat the Pats at home.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2014...avens-patriots

This is comforting....
              That example is not applicable. The difference in responsibilities in the playoffs between and OC and HC are not even close. As an OC/QB coach he has a great playoff record and three rings. His primary job was play calling, game planning, and personnel. As a head coach you deal with all those items for three phases, plus media, expectations, attitude, drama, preparation, etc. He was 2-2 as a head coach with some good teams in Houston, but now he is a #1 seed.

Comment

Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
                Can you share an example?
                Take any game you guys have lost in the playoffs. It usually comes down to execution on the field.

Comment

Originally posted by pozbaird View Post
                  Kubiak needs to do a job, but he isn't the one dropping easy passes, failing to protect the QB, throwing multiple picks, or commiting silly personal fouls in critical situations.

From where I'm sitting, the team are either putting in excellent first half performances and bad second half ones, or the other way round. Everyone needs to do the business for 60 minutes, not just 30. Some of the games we won, we found dramatic ways to win, but they were on a knife-edge and could easily have went the other way.

Sure, Kubiak needs to step up, but offense, defense and special teams cannot afford to only turn it on for only 30 minutes in the playoffs. In my book, that's the major issue facing us - getting it right for the full 60.
                  great post.

Comment

How many HC's in their first season gets the #1 seed in the playoffs? Sure he was fortunate to takeover a fairly talented team but there still has been some complications to address (starting QB issue, a green and injured OL). I can't think of any HC's ... maybe Tomlin or one/both Harbaughs??
                    IMO, No matter the outcome this season has been a success.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
                      How many HC's in their first season gets the #1 seed in the playoffs? Sure he was fortunate to takeover a fairly talented team but there still has been some complications to address (starting QB issue, a green and injured OL). I can't think of any HC's ... maybe Tomlin or one/both Harbaughs??
                      IMO, No matter the outcome this season has been a success.

To answer my own question ...

In his rookie season as a head coach, John Harbaugh guided the Ravens to an 11–5 regular season record, good enough to qualify them for the playoffs as a wild card team.
                      Jim Harbaugh led the team to a 13–3 record in the regular season, winning the NFC West division while finishing second overall in the NFC and bringing the team to the NFC Championship Game.
                      Tomlin led the Steelers to the 2007 AFC North Division championship and a 10–6 record in his first year as head coach.

OK, I found one ...
                      Bill Cowher going 11–5 earned home field advantage in the AFC in his first season coaching the Steelers - they lost in the Divisional Round to the Bills.

Pretty good company I would say. If their careers go similar, the future looks bright.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gerontion View Post

How about just being grateful that Kubiak and the team has gotten us to the playoffs in his first year and with a new offense and a backup QB.
                        I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by XterraRob View Post
                          How about just being grateful that Kubiak and the team has gotten us to the playoffs in his first year and with a new offense and a backup QB.
                          This should be more of a prevailing thought. Think of what had to occur to be where we're at.

3 OT games...all won...(doesn't count the KC game where Roby picked up the fumble with seconds remaining)

Baltimore game ended on an interception in the endzone
                          Oakland game where Harris' pick 6 was the difference
                          Chicago missing on a 2pt conversion to tie late
                          3 pt win against Minnesota
                          Trailing the Chargers in the 4th

We've had some remarkable games this year...and more than our fair share have gone our way. It's put us in the best position to succeed. We have a relatively healthy roster at this point. Feel pretty good. Playoffs will be nail biters one way or the other. Doesn't mean it's time to call for coaches heads or call for QB benchings. Enjoy the ride.

Comment

Originally posted by XterraRob View Post
                            Agreed and after another off season of addressing our O line thru FA and the Draft and a full off season for Brock(Hopefully resigns)and taking snaps as a starter and thru time Brock and DT(and Sanders and co)should sort out their problems with D's drops. I know most drops have lied with DT cause Brock generally is quite accurate but the Brock and DT combo should be moving to the beat of the same drum next year.

Comment

Let's be honest and give credit where credit is due: we went 12-4 (won 9 games by 7 points or less)... Denver went 5-2 vs playoff teams (3-0 vs DIV winners)... 5-0 in primetime games... We beat GB, NE, CIN at home... PM was statistically the worst QB first half of season (we went 7-2)... With Brock we went 5-2....

Kubiak made critical decisions that impacted games, and saves the season... We could easily be 9-7 or 10-6 and be out altogether.

Now... I don't applaud Kubiak for BaL success in Ne last year... Ravens really should've beaten Ne 4 times in the post season... They were 2-1 in Foxboro in Jan before he arrived.

But... Like you said... We have to win 1 game (at least) or we went no further than we did last year. PIT has a suspect defense and KC an impotent offense. We can and should beat those 2, or HOU.

Then... We have to be competitive in the AFCCG.

Comment

Working...
                              X