Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Time to Forgive Davis and be key in playoff run?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Time to Forgive Davis and be key in playoff run?

I know Vernon Davis has been an outright bust since coming here, but he was on his way to having a great game against the Raiders until the drop heard round the world. And to follow that game with another key drop, he has been dead man on campus.

Is it time to bring him back in passing plays, especially with Peyton back in the fold, and use him the way SF did in 2012 with the seam passes over the middle of the field?
    We are going with Plan A

I agree, it is always more advantageous to have more tools in the box. I think this was addressed in the Post recently, and they claim Davis still hasn't gotten comfortable with our no huddle. And Owen Daniels is clicking now, so he is getting more targets. But yes, I think Vernon's presence can be valuable to us.

Comment

It depends, Daniels is playing great and every time Green catches the ball he's getting good YAC. If you're proposing more 3 TE sets, then I wouldn't be opposed. If you want to take Green or Daniels off then no

Comment

He is so scared to get hit though. I like Virgil Green, So physical and athletic.

Comment

I dunno, I think the last time I saw him he gave up on a route and it was an interception cause he saw he would get hit right? Plus two horrific drops where brock trusted him to make a play and it just hit him in the hands.

Our two TEs are playing well, I feel more comfortable with them although I agree davis has more big play potential.

Comment

If he can hold onto the ball, sure. Need everyone.
            sigpic

Comment

he looks like he is going through the motions out there. honestly the only thing i can come up with is him down the goal line catching a TD pass bc we just don't focus on him and neither will other teams D. maybe we can find them sleeping on a play or two. idk though, looks like he just wants to pick up a game check.

Comment

Our playoff opponents will see the same key drops we did and that we no longer trust him when they study the film...that means we can't even use him as a decoy, which is the only thing I trust him doing at this point. That said, I could see throwing a couple balls his way in Q1 to see if he's totally given up...if so, we bench him the rest of the playoffs, if he actually makes a play or 2 early, the D will have to respect him on the seam routes and we can then use him as a worthwhile decoy. As far as actually throwing something his way in the 4th quarter or on a 3rd down, I don't want VD anymore
                "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
                PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
                LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

Nope....to me it doesn't look like his heart is in it. I think the coaching staff has seen everything they want to see from him. I expect he will not be back last year and out of the NFL all together....

Comment

Would love to get Davis more involved in the game

Would not throw anything his way on any key third or fourth downs until he has proven himself a game or two tho.

Snap counts

SD game
                    Owen - 48
                    Green - 28
                    VD - 6

Cinc Game
                    Owen - 47
                    Green - 23
                    VD - 5

Right now VD is in the dog house...he needs to work his way out
                    Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                      It depends, Daniels is playing great and every time Green catches the ball he's getting good YAC. If you're proposing more 3 TE sets, then I wouldn't be opposed. If you want to take Green or Daniels off then no
                      Actually I would propose that exactly. Daniels and Green both need to rest and Davis brings a similar but slightly different skill-set to the TE position. I think it is fair to say that he is a bit faster but slightly-less physical then Daniels is. Rotating Daniels or Green out for a series might not be such a bad thing. What I do think needs ot be addressed is hit ability to catch and absorb or better yet shed that first hit. We have seen Daniels do this repeatedly and Green has done this a few times as well.

Comment

I don't know what he can do that Virgil Green can't. Besides the drops, Davis was running backwards in a game. The guy was a waste of a late-round pick. I wish we had simply re-signed James Casey for depth (and he can also play FB), keeping Daniels and Green as the main TEs.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Roddoliver View Post
                          I don't know what he can do that Virgil Green can't. Besides the drops, Davis was running backwards in a game. The guy was a waste of a late-round pick. I wish we had simply re-signed James Casey for depth (and he can also play FB), keeping Daniels and Green as the main TEs.
                          Well Davis did have those two games where he played well and caught some pretty important catches for us. Since then he has made some pretty poor mistakes and missed some key catches for us. I do think it is time to have him setup for us and see if he has learned form those two big errors.

Comment

At this point I'm looking at him as depth that we hopefully don't need. Green and Daniels have earned their playing time.

But coach knows best.
                            [sigpic

Comment

the key to the playoffs. is simply if we can run the ball and run the ball efeectively we can't do alot of damage
                              sigpic
                              oakland raders gm
                              latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Working...
                              X