Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Manning's Legacy Hinges on his next few games...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manning's Legacy Hinges on his next few games...

We have all seen the arguments rage for 100's of pages on these forums and elsewhere. Statistically Manning is the best QB to ever play the game, there is no disputing that. Manning will be a 1st ballot HOF QB, however to be the GOAT or in the conversation, I think he has to win a SB here.

The doubt that continues to surround Manning to this day is whether or not he can win the big one. Is he clutch when it counts. Can he beat the best. Is this another year of getting to the playoff's and getting knocked out. early.

This year Manning has the #1 Defense in the NFL. He has a stacked WR corp, a serviceable run game and every one of our opponents is majorly flawed or dinged up.

NE has major O line issues.
    KC lost Maclin
    Pitt has injured Roethlisberger and Brown + Dwill
    Carolina has beat up 2ndary, no Kelvin Benjamin, Jstew is a bit gimpy.
    GB doesn't have jordy and has been bad all year.
    AZ lost Mathieu and CJ2k
    Seattle Lost Lynch, Rawls, Graham, etc...

If there was ever a year to deliver, this is it. Should Manning go out and lay an egg, I think his legacy will be that of top flight QB, but not even close to that of the Brady's, Youngs, Elways, Montana's etc...

If he goes out and win's the SB, I think he will be in the conversation for the GOAT and go out with a legacy that will be free from doubters questioning whether or not he could get it done in the playoffs.

He has no excuses, he is rested, he has home field, he is healthy etc....

His legacy is in his own hands.

Yeah... But even if he wins, the national media will say it's bc NE had injuires. Lol.

I hope he wins it for PAt. Stick it to Irsay... Lasting image of Peyton would be walking off into sunset as a champion (with DEN)... Wins as many here as he did in Indy, and becomes first QB to win a SB with 2 different teams.

Plus... Hard to say a QB with 2 SB wins stinks in postseason.

His career was over last month... Now he gets another chance to write the final chapter!

With the uncertainty at QB next year, the 20 free agents.... We need to enjoy this ride. Who knows what future holds, especially if this defense is broken up.
    Last edited by fraguela09; 01-12-2016, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Regardless of what happens I think people will still point at his record in the playoffs. There will always be those who denigrate his achievements. Still, going out on a win, becoming the first QB to win with 2 teams. Well that is something nobody can really take away.
      Adopted Bronco: Bradley Roby

Comment

Originally posted by Gsam View Post
        We have all seen the arguments rage for 100's of pages on these forums and elsewhere. Statistically Manning is the best QB to ever play the game, there is no disputing that. Manning will be a 1st ballot HOF QB, however to be the GOAT or in the conversation, I think he has to win a SB here.

The doubt that continues to surround Manning to this day is whether or not he can win the big one. Is he clutch when it counts. Can he beat the best. Is this another year of getting to the playoff's and getting knocked out. early.

This year Manning has the #1 Defense in the NFL. He has a stacked WR corp, a serviceable run game and every one of our opponents is majorly flawed or dinged up.

NE has major O line issues.
        KC lost Maclin
        Pitt has injured Roethlisberger and Brown + Dwill
        Carolina has beat up 2ndary, no Kelvin Benjamin, Jstew is a bit gimpy.
        GB doesn't have jordy and has been bad all year.
        AZ lost Mathieu and CJ2k
        Seattle Lost Lynch, Rawls, Graham, etc...

If there was ever a year to deliver, this is it. Should Manning go out and lay an egg, I think his legacy will be that of top flight QB, but not even close to that of the Brady's, Youngs, Elways, Montana's etc...

If he goes out and win's the SB, I think he will be in the conversation for the GOAT and go out with a legacy that will be free from doubters questioning whether or not he could get it done in the playoffs.

He has no excuses, he is rested, he has home field, he is healthy etc....

His legacy is in his own hands.
        Insert Denver.
        sigpic

Adopted Bronco: Von Miller

Comment

Manning legacy depends on nothing. Hall of Fame QB. If you are trying to debate top 5 or GOAT. Then yea, he probably needs to win. But Manning is one of the greats and his legacy has already been cemented.
          sigpic

Comment

I have been critical of Manning dating back to last season, but I agree with your premise. He needs to just go out there and enjoy this and not think everything to death, he needs to play loose. His legacy is a bit on the line within the context you laid out. He is without a doubt one of the greatest, but i don't believe a solid argument exists for him being the greatest. He has an opportunity to close that gap a bit, maybe all the way. One and done would be disastrous, Superbowl could not be ignored. He needs to play well throughout and be a major player in the victories though imo.

His Superbowl season he was pretty much dragged along with a hot running game and defense in the playoffs. Although many do not like to admit it, the playoffs play a big role in legacies, especially for QBs. He has not played well in many playoff games, which has played a large part in his record. I understand there have been other factors, there always are.

I do agree there are no excuses as well, everything has lined up so well for us it would have to be among his most disappointing seasons if we exit early. Here's to securing a legacy!
            Anonymity is cowardice, and cowards are not known for their wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
              Manning legacy depends on nothing. Hall of Fame QB. If you are trying to debate top 5 or GOAT. Then yea, he probably needs to win. But Manning is one of the greats and his legacy has already been cemented.
              You pretty much just summarized the OPs first paragraph. Are you agreeing with them or was there a subtle disagreement I missed?
              Anonymity is cowardice, and cowards are not known for their wisdom.

Comment

I don't think that's really fair. I think he cemented his place in fame with the Colts. I think he could cement a legacy of greatness with the Broncos including a place in the Ring of Fame if he wins the SB this year. I personally have no loyalty to the guy other than he is a Bronco and our QB. But I don't think it's totally fair to say if he doesn't do amazing, he is nothing.

He will rightfully be in the hall of fame. I HOPE he ends up in the Ring of Fame, which is far more important to me. =)

I understand his limitations, but c'mon.. he has led us to AFC west championships every single year he has played for us. He took us to the playoffs, he took us to the SB. I do sort of feel he will play lights out though. I think the injury made him realize how little time left he has to play, and he wants to nail a huge O' nail of success into the end of his career. All good for us. =)

Comment

No it doesn't.

All I am going to say.

Adopted Posters - Broncoholic MS, thatkidhunt, Al Wilson 4 Mayor, Thors Hammer, McSmashie, CanDB, Peanut, BroncoManiac_69, MightyHorse, CHARGER$, Chillez, EddieMac
                  Married Megan Joy on August 18th, 2013
                  Proud Daddy of Jeremiah James born February 24, 2011

Adopt-A-Bronco 2013 - Champ Bailey
                  Yankees, Rockies, Nuggets, Avalanche, CU Buffs
                  I still miss you Jake Plummer!

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Broncoholic JS View Post
                    No it doesn't.

All I am going to say.
                    One more Super Bowl victory would change a few perceptions.
                    sigpic

Adopted Bronco: Von Miller

Comment

Mannings legacy rides on the same playoff failure of last one and outs... whether the opposing D line dominates our O line. for the first time since he has been there, he has the help of a legit top D. not legion of Boom or old Ravens D, but good enuf so that its not all on the offense. btw, who is against Scoffield?

every team has injuries... whether they say it or not... do you think Mannings foot is 100%? no, it isn't...

Comment

Originally posted by JJBroncoFan View Post
                        You pretty much just summarized the OPs first paragraph. Are you agreeing with them or was there a subtle disagreement I missed?
                        I disagree with the sentiment Manning has to do anything to solidify his legacy. He already has had a tremendous career. Going one and done doesn't change that. Winning it all strengthens it, but he doesn't need to do squat.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by MollyBronco View Post
                          I don't think that's really fair. I think he cemented his place in fame with the Colts. I think he could cement a legacy of greatness with the Broncos including a place in the Ring of Fame if he wins the SB this year. I personally have no loyalty to the guy other than he is a Bronco and our QB. But I don't think it's totally fair to say if he doesn't do amazing, he is nothing.

He will rightfully be in the hall of fame. I HOPE he ends up in the Ring of Fame, which is far more important to me. =)

I understand his limitations, but c'mon.. he has led us to AFC west championships every single year he has played for us. He took us to the playoffs, he took us to the SB. I do sort of feel he will play lights out though. I think the injury made him realize how little time left he has to play, and he wants to nail a huge O' nail of success into the end of his career. All good for us. =)
                          Even if he wins the Super Bowl this year, no way he gets into Denver's Ring of Fame.

Comment

Originally posted by Atwnbroncfan View Post
                            I disagree with the sentiment Manning has to do anything to solidify his legacy. He already has had a tremendous career. Going one and done doesn't change that. Winning it all strengthens it, but he doesn't need to do squat.
                            Exactly right.

A Super Bowl will simply be the cherry on the cake of Peyton's career. His legacy is not reliant on one game, two games, or 3 games. He has a body of work that establishes his legacy.

Comment

I think people too often mix the concepts of legacies/careers with talent. Call it semantics or whatever you like. Although John Elway is my favorite QB of all time...if I am completely honest with myself, Peyton Manning is the best QB I have ever seen play the game. I truly think he is the best QB to ever play due to his abilities and more importantly, how he changed the passing game, not to mention the smartest QB to every play. It's obviously just my opinion...but I also base it off of what I call the eye test. When you just watch a QB make a play and you just say to yourself "that was absolutely incredible." Elway made those same kind of plays. Dan Marino made those throws. Rodgers is the current gen guy that makes throws no one else in the world can make and is truly special.

Compare that to someone like Brady (who I hold in the highest regard and a top 5 QB ever), I just never got that same feeling. I could admire his killer instinct and methodical drives in the "clutch," but I just truly don't ever sit there and have a wow moment like I did from Manning, Marino, or Elway.

But no one can argue Peyton has the greatest "legacy" right now. Fair or unfair, people seem to overly romanticize about the playoffs. Sure, I get it...it's "why you play the game." But playoff football has such random elements of luck and can be chaotic with such a small sample size. 49er fans like to talk about Montana throwing 0 INT in his 4 Super Bowls. Obviously incredible. But I clearly remember Lewis Billups dropping an INT that probably seals the game and the Bengals win that super bowl. But he dropped it instead...and Montana leads the tying score instead. For every legendary drive...there was some big block, or flag, or big bounce that all contributed to it happening. And we love to give the QB all the credit/blame for when it happens, and it's really unfair. What if Tracy Porter had dropped the INT against Manning...just like Billups did against Montana? Manning might go on to tie the game and win. And then over time, we all forget about it. Kind of funny how that works out.

Elway riding into the sunset off back to back SB wins was magical and elevated his legacy...although if he had never done that, my opinion of him wouldn't be any different. Sure, I would say it was a shame he couldn't win a ring, but everyone knew he was fortunate to have TD be the driving force for those rings...helicopter or no.
                              But for "legacy" purposes...or legendary story status? Yeah, it's a big deal.

If Manning could win the Super Bowl this year...his legacy will all of a sudden magically change from one-and-dones to only QB to win 2 Super bowls on two different teams...not to mention now being tied for 3rd all time for playoff wins. And that's because of 3 games. To me, it's kind of silly to put so much weight into 3 games vs a 18 year career. But I suppose that's the way it goes.

Take the flip side, look at Brady again. He built so much post season "equity" in his first years in the league going 10 or 11-0. But was Brady a better QB from 01-06 and going 3-0 in Super Bowls? Or is he better from 07-15...where his playoff record is closer to .500-.600 and going 1-2 In Super Bowls? Ironically the better Brady got...in addition to getting better weapons (Welker, Moss, Gronk, etc), they lost more. No how is that possible? First of all, the Patriots defenses got worse. And more importantly, playoffs are random and anything can happen. The Tyree Helmet Catch cost him a ring...but it's not like they didn't get big bounces in the Super bowls he DID win (tuck rule, Titans game drop, Pete Carroll losing his sanity, etc). But when the Patriots lose a game...the talk is "oh well, cant win them all." When the Colts (and now Broncos) lose a game..it's Manning chokes. It's a ridiculous standard. Unfortunately, that was the reputation he received. Some of it warranted with some bad games...some of it unfair because his teams were outplayed, outcoached, or the lucky breaks didn't go their way.

Regardless of all that talk, it would be special to see. Obviously rooting for the Broncos is the priority...but Manning getting a ring to finish his career would be an extra special cherry on top. And all it takes is a 3 game winning streak.
                              Last edited by Cookenbauer; 01-12-2016, 11:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X