Shootout Scenario

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shootout Scenario

In the unlikely event the defense gets burnt will this coach show up prepared with a backup plan to win a shootout or will he come in with only 1 plan to grind the clock and keep the game close?

Could the Broncos win a shootout if they had to, and if so how?

Very unlikely. Other than the game against GB the offense designed to stick with the run, grind out 1st downs and score 20-24.

When Manning passes 40 or less per game Bronoos do well. Make enough 1st downs to keep Cam off the field, favorable field position and keep the D fresh.

Comment

Our offense isn't made to score a lot. So no, we cannot win a shootout against the Panthers.
      Jacksonville Jaguars Broncomania GM:

Comment

Originally posted by fdtrain View Post
        In the unlikely event the defense gets burnt will this coach show up prepared with a backup plan to win a shootout or will he come in with only 1 plan to grind the clock and keep the game close?

Could the Broncos win a shootout if they had to, and if so how?
        You say that like Kubes hasn't done a masterful job of coaching this team………..THAT'S PLAYING IN THE SB.

And there is no game plan for a shootout. No coach goes in planning for their defense to give up 30+ points. Those are in game adjustments that happen on the fly. But if we get into a shootout, coaching is the least of our worries.
        #swapping

Comment

Originally posted by flosstein View Post
          You say that like Kubes hasn't done a masterful job of coaching this team………..THAT'S PLAYING IN THE SB.

And there is no game plan for a shootout. No coach goes in planning for their defense to give up 30+ points. Those are in game adjustments that happen on the fly. But if we get into a shootout, coaching is the least of our worries.
          True. And we actually do have the horses to compete in a shootout.
          Adopt-A-Bronco: Jonathon Cooper

Comment

Originally posted by listopencil View Post
            True. And we actually do have the horses to compete in a shootout.
            Which believe we do also. But it's not the Mustangs that would worry me. It's the Clydesdales on the OL that make me nervous.
            #swapping

Comment

There will be no shoot out. We can't compete in that game . If Pm has to throw 40 times were toast.

Comment

We haven't had a single performance this year where we scored at will. I can't imagine us finding that ability in the Super Bowl against a very strong defense.

Comment

The Broncos offense has sputtered all season. I don't see that changing much against the best team in the league in the Super Bowl. The Broncos don't dominate in the trenches on offense. Plus the recievers haven't been playing to their potential and their QB has struggled all year. Trying to win a shootout with the Panthers likely leads to multiple turnovers and disaster.

The defense will have to play out of their minds and stifle the Panthers offense for us to win. Hopefully we can get multiple turnovers and some defensive scores. Our CBs are due a pick 6 or 2.

But who knows, prehaps the Broncos offense will finally get it together in the final game if the year and we will see the offense that smked the Ravens in the season opener 2 seasons ago.

Comment

It's not obvious that we can't compete in a shootout.

Games in the NFL take on different identities. Our defense sets the "tone" of most games, and the fact is (for better or worse) our offense just rides along keeping games close. If Carolina starts to score, that's when we abandon the run and go Peyton's no-huddle mode. Kubiak and co. would prefer to avoid that and instead establish balance and ball control, but if the game doesn't evolve in that way then we'll abandon it.

But, as poor as our offense has been, they are generally pretty good at scoring when they need to...which is why they seem to get their stuff together in the 4th quarter in close games or trailing. The sense of urgency demands they move at a different pace. Our defense just hasn't had too many bad games...probably the worst was against Indy, and the offense played well and would have had a two minute drill to tie or win the game if not for Talib's eye poke. Pittsburgh #1 was bad too, but Brock was the QB then so hurry up drives and such look different.

I like us in a close game, regardless of whether it is 13-10 or 42-40 score. If a magic genie told me the game was going to be lopsided, I would unfortunately tell you that Carolina won. But if that genie told me a team would win by a FG, I think Denver wins in a dogfight. We've played too many of those games.

Comment

While it won't happen, if Carolina's defense is giving up big plays, Manning has the tools at his disposal and has been more accurate than Brock, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
                        We haven't had a single performance this year where we scored at will. I can't imagine us finding that ability in the Super Bowl against a very strong defense.
                        Actually, the first half of the Steelers game we did. If PM sucks in the first half, I wonder if Kubes calls for Oz? I know it sounds unlikely, but I'm sure that scenario has already been discussed with the QBs and Elway so the option is on the table. PM is not going to score multiple TDs if we fall behind by 3 TDs, so that point you might as well do something. It is about winning the game not about PM.
                        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                        My new favorite Bronco - KJ Hamler Guy plays inspiring football!.

Comment

Originally posted by Doogansquest View Post
                          While it won't happen, if Carolina's defense is giving up big plays, Manning has the tools at his disposal and has been more accurate than Brock, so I wouldn't worry about it.
                          Actually, I see our defense getting at least one strip sack and if PM can cash that in, that could be the difference.
                          ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by cmc0605 View Post
                            It's not obvious that we can't compete in a shootout.
                            I agree, but I'm not sure what is the deal with our WRs/RBs dropping the ball. I used to think Brock was throwing too hard, then I thought PM was throwing too slow and the timing was all off but I just can't figure it out. With all the time together the offense shouldn't be making those mistakes. I understand the O-Line issues, they just are as strong as they could be. The QB and the WRs are pretty much the same group that was putting up 40 and 50 a couple of years ago. I just don't get it.

Comment

A stat that just scrolled across NFL Network ticker - Panthers led the league with 30 takeaways and allowed the lowest number of drives resulting in score, 26.5%.

We know the stats go out the window for every game. Our offense is middle of the pack in the league for scoring so it is so unlikely the Broncos could compete in a shoot out. Every game is unique so you never know. In some of our games if some of the mistakes were reduced/eliminated we could have scored quite a few points. Even last Sunday the opportunity was there to add 2-3 TDs instead of FGs.

Comment

Working...
                              X