We had a tougher schedule than Carolina did regular season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We had a tougher schedule than Carolina did regular season

This morning the local paper had the results of every game for comparison of us and them, and they only played two tough teams in the regular season, Seattle and Green Bay and beat them both but not by a whole lot. We played Pittsburgh, Cincy, New England, Green Bay and Kansas City twice. Sure they went 15-1 but played teams like the Titans, Cowboys, Saints, Bucs, Texans, Falcons etc., so let's see how that plays out next Sunday. I know that you throw all that stuff out now but I have a feeling we are going to surprise a lot of people!

Originally posted by East Coast Fan View Post
    This morning the local paper had the results of every game for comparison of us and them, and they only played two tough teams in the regular season, Seattle and Green Bay and beat them both but not by a whole lot. We played Pittsburgh, Cincy, New England, Green Bay and Kansas City twice. Sure they went 15-1 but played teams like the Titans, Cowboys, Saints, Bucs, Texans, Falcons etc., so let's see how that plays out next Sunday. I know that you throw all that stuff out now but I have a feeling we are going to surprise a lot of people!
    Although having a mediocre offense is not optimal, I'd argue the benefit was the team had to learn how to overcome adversity and win close games multiple times. I'd give that advantage to Denver considering the other team is accustomed to having blowout games and not having to fight from behind or in overtime as often.

I agree with you. While I don't discount the Panthers I definitely believe Denver is going to surprise everybody

Comment

I agree on the strength of schedules comparison. I thought all season long that all the tough teams we played, and I think we played all of them except Carolina, only toughen us up to be ready for the SB. But I also saw Carolina getting stronger as the season went on, but still they haven't played a team that has such a strong D like ours, and for that matter, not many teams have. I am just hoping for the strip sacks to come our way and we cash them in! I have to believe PM will be ready, I just hope the other younger players (which is everybody) can handle this big game.

And hoping for TDs rather than FGs.
      ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      My new favorite Bronco - KJ Hamler Guy plays inspiring football!.

Comment

Denver is going to win this game, and win it the only way they know how. The only way they did it through tough competition without an offense.

Gonna win the game in the last 5 plays, probably a 1-5 point differential.
        sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
          Denver is going to win this game, and win it the only way they know how. The only way they did it through tough competition without an offense.

I could see that being the case. And it'll be the defense making one last 4th down stop for the trophy. I can easily see a 23-19 win for us
          #swapping

Comment

Their strength of schedule might have been relevant if they were trying to go undefeated. Moot point. All that matters now is one game.

I watched their week by week highlights, and I saw a team that found ways to win. Remember our game against Cleveland? Or Chicago? Or Baltimore? We did the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post

I feel the same way about this one as I did about the AFCC...we either get blown out or win a close one. If we can get to halftime leading or within 7, we'll pull it out
              "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
              PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
              LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

I woke up early this morning and was pleasantly surprised when I looked up the sos of both teams. Carolina had it way easier than we did. I'm starting to get that same pregame feeling again just before we beat the pats for the championship. It won't be a blowout for Carolina like they're used to. We got this!

Denver 29
                Carolina 23, ya hoo!

Comment

I appreciate the comparisons of regular season matchups as an indicator, but history has shown us it is an extremely poor indicator. What counts is how we vs them are playing, right now, and with the injury situation we are in with key players. Secondly, is the matchups. For example, against the Pats, VonMiller went up against a very poor right tackle and he owned him the whole game. Result, Von had a monster game. Carolina's right tackle, Remmers, is very good at run blocking and mauling defenders, but maybe only avg pass blocking. Still he will be a tougher test for Von especially considering the Pats don't run and the Panthers run all the time. Expect some real smash mouth football - at least until someone breaks out on the scoreboard.

Anyway, who we played in week 4 means nothing now and in the super bowl.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis.1960 View Post
                    I feel the same way about this one as I did about the AFCC...we either get blown out or win a close one. If we can get to halftime leading or within 7, we'll pull it out
                    I think we HAVE to get the lead or keep it within reach like you said, and then put it in the hands of the defense but not too early, the offense can't go into "lapses" of 3 and outs like they have been, we have to keep the ball out of Cam's hands....

Comment

Why is everyone so obsessed with bringing this SoS up?

It really comes off as a way to trick yourself into attributing the other teams success for flukey reasons. Or some irrational attempt to justify why they are favorites. Or whatever, it's not very compelling.

Carolina cannot control their schedule. They were presented a schedule, and they did their job. They were 8 points away from heading into the SB with a perfect season. They are a very good team, just like we are.

SoS is not going to be relevant Sunday. Just who has a better gameplan and who executes better. Either team is capable of beating the other.

Comment

Originally posted by cmc0605 View Post

It really comes off as a way to trick yourself into attributing the other teams success for flukey reasons. Or some irrational attempt to justify why they are favorites. Or whatever, it's not very compelling.

Carolina cannot control their schedule. They were presented a schedule, and they did their job. They were 8 points away from heading into the SB with a perfect season. They are a very good team, just like we are.

SoS is not going to be relevant Sunday. Just who has a better gameplan and who executes better. Either team is capable of beating the other.
                        Nothing discussed on this forum is going to be relevant on Sunday.

It doesn't mean that we shouldn't discuss. That's what we're here for......... discussion.

Comment

Originally posted by cmc0605 View Post

It's relevant only insofar as a means to better objectively gauge their team statistics (weighted against the entire league). If Denver and Carolina were to flip their schedules, I'd wager dollars to donuts that they don't finish 15-1 with the impressive offensive/defensive numbers.

It's like the 2013 Broncos...without the schedule we had, I doubt very much we put 606 points up.
                          To infinity...and beyond.

Comment

I don't understand that. All through the playoffs, the Panthers heard that same thing. Each team's fans said that and as we won, it didn't mean a thing. No offense, but give it a rest.
                            Last edited by ncpantherfan; 01-31-2016, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Seattle and arizona are better than Pittsburgh and NE and they destroyed both teams. SOS means jack and I'm a Broncos fan.

any given Sunday

Comment

Working...
                              X