Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ESPN actually had the Broncos at #2 after Week 17 going into the playoffs:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/powerrankings

We fell one spot for every game that we WON after that to arrive at #5!

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/14...power-rankings

Last edited by L.M.; 02-18-2016, 06:05 PM.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

eh, who cares about the power rankings for next year? We WON the SB. Good enough for me for now! And there are legitimate questions about next year's team, like who will the QB be, how many D players are retained, oline, etc. Carolina has much fewer questions.

Regarding this defense's place in history, it's easily top 5 and very much in the running for best ever. Like the GOAT QB, there's no definitive answer, but I've been a Broncos fan for 37 years and never seen defensive performances from any team like we witnessed in the AFCCG and then the SB. Seattle's D was very good in 2013, but they benefitted from an offense that put up points and controlled field position, along with ST points. Denver's offense was historically bad - there's almost no precedence for an offense as poor as ours getting to the SB, let alone winning. Baltimore's was anemic, but ours literally had no ability to sustain drives, convert third downs, or flip field position. Our D was put in terrible positions repeatedly and not only held, but generated scores or scoring opportunities consistently. Put that together with the caliber of opposition and the era, and it's incredibly special what this defense did.

Comment

It's not about the actual power rankings but the ridiculously biased agenda they expose over at ESPN. Nothing to get upset about - it's just comical in its blatancy!

Comment

Originally posted by SR20DEN View Post
          Panther fan here.
          First off I want to congratulate the Broncos on a superb game and defensive showing. I came here looking to see if all of those other Panthers fans were going to come back and eat some crow for trolling this forum over the past two weeks. I never got involved with any of those discussions but I did once ask them to stop doing it. I find that kind of behavior embarrassing as it doesn't reflect the nature and attitude of most of our fans.
          As for the power rankings, I noticed that and said it already to my co-wrorker. "They're disrespecting Denver AGAIN by putting them at number five." The Broncos defense just dominated the best offense of 2015. Should that not mean that the Broncos move to the #1 spot and my Panthers drop to #2? Jeez I was hoping that all the bandwagoneers would go home and forget about us for awhile. Bandwagoneers make me nervous. Panthers fans, just like Broncos fans prefer the underdog role.

So again, congrats Denver to surely fielding the absolute best D in all of football. I never watched the '85 Bears play but that's who came to mind after watching Denver kick our butts last night.
          Respect for you coming back to the board. We know what it feels like to lose the SuperBowl - experience for that matter with 5.

Carolina can get back for another shot at the Lombardi.

As far as the Power Rankings - trying to put myself in the shoes of the writers that make the rankings - they are factoring in the difficulty of Denver keeping the defense in tact, questions about QB and ability to improve O line. Not to mention Denver will get every team's best effort.

I'm not sure about Carolina #1 however if you think about some of the turnovers that game could have gone the other way. Denver's D simply made a few more plays.
          Last edited by Fantaztic7; 02-18-2016, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by osfantaztic View Post
            As far as the Power Rankings - trying to put myself in the shoes of the writers that make the rankings - they are factoring in the difficulty of Denver keeping the defense in tact, questions about QB and ability to improve O line. Not to mention Denver will get every team's best effort.

I'm not sure about Carolina #1 however if you think about some of the turnovers that game could have gone the other way. Denver's D simply made a few more plays.
            Those rankings don't predict how we will do, only how strong we are entering Week 1. Regardless, opponents have been forced to give us their best game since 2012 when we signed Manning and became instant contenders with 13-3/12-4 seasons, so that's nothing new.

We just won a SB on the merits of defense, not because of outstanding QB or O-line play. If anything we won in spite of poor play and mistakes from that side, so offseason changes there at this point can really only be improvements and certainly no cause to dock our power rank.

As for the defense, if the ESPN writers assumed that they would disband like the '00 Ravens then they are guilty of gross ignorance of our situation. There's no way in hell we lose Miller, at most we will lose Jackson and Trevathan and still have a unit that can achieve the top rank again.

Carolina is at #1 because a whole bunch of people over there picked them to win the SB and they are in denial about being so utterly wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by LynchMobster View Post
              Those rankings don't predict how we will do, only how strong we are entering Week 1. Regardless, opponents have been forced to give us their best game since 2012 when we signed Manning and became instant contenders with 13-3/12-4 seasons, so that's nothing new.

We just won a SB on the merits of defense, not because of outstanding QB or O-line play. If anything we won in spite of poor play and mistakes from that side, so offseason changes there at this point can really only be improvements and certainly no cause to dock our power rank.

As for the defense, if the ESPN writers assumed that they would disband like the '00 Ravens then they are guilty of gross ignorance of our situation. There's no way in hell we lose Miller, at most we will lose Jackson and Trevathan and still have a unit that can achieve the top rank again.

Carolina is at #1 because a whole bunch of people over there picked them to win the SB and they are in denial about being so utterly wrong.
              Agree. I was only trying to think of why they would make Denver #5 and Carolina #1 - aside from the obvious bias for Carolina and the attempt to gloss over the fact that nearly every "analyst" picked Carolina. Over and over we heard the mantra "Cam and the #1 offense with the run game and tripple option - Denver has no chance".

I have more respect for Dilfer because he knew how a defense like Denver could do what the Ravens did.

Broncos have the admiration and respect of their loyal fans. That's all that matters. Broncos will never win over the east coast media - many against Elway and always will be.

Broncos won SB50.

Play our cards right and make another run to shut them up again.
              Last edited by Fantaztic7; 02-18-2016, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X