• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mattieflo
    replied
    Originally posted by LegionOfVonDoom View Post
    [/B]

as for the 1st bolded part, you can't trade a free agent LOL
    as for the rest of the bolded parts, I find it very funny you think guys don't worry about how much money they can get.

Truth of the matter is football is a short life span and players should try and make as much as they can. Do some give hometown discounts, sure, but I will never be upset at someone not willing to take less.

Von, Danny and Malik have all stated money talks, and to be honest they are at the point where they will probably get the biggest contract they will ever get in this game. So more power to them.

Do I want them all here for a repeat, of course I do, but I will not hold my breathe on it or kick anyone out the door cuz they took their 1 big payday.
    Oakland might be dumb enough to trade for a free agent. Worth a shot.

Leave a comment:

• stick77
    replied
    Originally posted by MarshallMoss View Post
    To be truthful Samp...I don't like many of these options. Maybe we have done some good developing with our backup depth. Considering our available funds, I really think we are going to rely on this draft to fill the gaps with what we have left. It will be open competition to all. I think Clady is a must resign/restructure though. As we know Samprailo is no gaurantee to come back healthy(:

But realistically, whatever we put out there can't be that much worse than what we saw last year. Harris and Tyler are free agents now, so not sure if worth resigning (especially Harris as he played LT almost all year and will want to be paid to reflect that)

What would you suggest Samp? You are probably the most expert of all of us when it comes to the O-line (and many other things)
    I'd be more worried about Clady coming back healthy, ACL, than Ty, shoulder. The o-line will be fine if Clady comes back, move Ty to RT, and Schofield to G. Mathis is gone. On a 1 year deal anyway. I would take him back though.

Leave a comment:

• Hadez
    replied
    Originally posted by Jonny_Quest View Post
    Wolfe actually grades out as a better lineman than Jackson and only makes 9m per year. I'm not sure why other teams would spend more than 10m per year on Jackson.

He's good but he's not 11m+ good.
    SD overpaid for Franklin
    Jax overpaid JT

Crappy teams need to overpay players to get them to come there.

Imo the following players will get overpaid if they hit the market

Malik
    Trev
    Oz
    Marshall
    Bruton - maybe on this guy

Check other teams Salary Cap. There are a good amount of teams with a LOT of cap space

And there are more teams with enuff cap space to over pay one or two players.

This offseason will be Elway's toughest challange to date

Leave a comment:

• japfaff
    replied
    First off why would you restructure any of the players on the list. If anything I reduce all the players. I dont want to have a ton of dead money at the end of thier deals.... I hope the OP knows the difference between reduce and restructure. Reduce is obvious. Restructure is converting salary into signing bonus, so u are basically using a credit card to pay for a guy at the same price as before

Leave a comment:

• Jonny_Quest
    replied
    I'm on the fence with Oz because he stalled when teams had a chance to really study him and make adjustments, I would like him back but not for anything over 10 mil per yr which is too much imo
    I think just about any QB would stall behind an O-Line as bad as ours was. I think Oz could be pretty good if he had a strong running game and good protection. His main problem was hanging onto the ball too long. That comes with playing time. Studying film with Peyton can only take you so far.

Leave a comment:

• killacal
    replied
    I would hope that we would hope we can redo Ware and give him a 3yr contract with a out in the 3rd yr, Tag Von, resign Malik and Danny T. Danny T should get a descent contract but not too outrages with his injury history . I'm on the fence with Oz because he stalled when teams had a chance to really study him and make adjustments, I would like him back but not for anything over 10 mil per yr which is too much imo

Leave a comment:

• paycheckeffort
    replied
    Originally posted by FL BRONCO View Post
    Some tough choices for sure.

I would cut

Manning
    Ware
    Clady
    Colquitt

I'm not so interested in looking it up and doing all the numbers, but I believe that is in the range of 40 + million dollar range it gives us based on cutting these 4 to start with.

Would love to keep Ware, he has been awesome and a great mentor. But he is getting long in tooth and not part of the long term future and his money will help with signing our future prospects, roll with Barret/Ray and sign some of our younger key guys.

Manning is gone....

Clady is too much of an unknown with injury issues that imo cant be counted on, even if he could stay healthy we have no idea how his play will be. We will have a limited budget and too many Oline issues so unless he would come back for back up money, I would cut him and use money elsewhere.

Colquitt did not play the best all year. He showed up in the SB, but I think we can get a more consistent alternative for less and need the money elsewhere.

Vasquez I would keep. While he may not be the best of fits, he is a good guard with a year in Kubes system already. We need to sure up the Oline and have enough holes we will have to fill already. We all have seen the results of musical chairs with the Oline the last couple years. Maybe he will take a reduction in pay to stay, but imo already too many moves to be made on Oline.

That should allow us to sign a few of our younger players we have developed especially on D. Here is where I would start. I believe we should start by signing the following with that money and in order of priority.

Miller
    Oz
    Malik
    Danny T

Miller- our future should be a lifer imo/nuff said

Oz--quarterbacks are the most important position imo moving forward. While they don't always win it for you, they sure give you a much better chance. We need a good one at the position who will be there in the future. We have experienced the qb carousel here and imo it is not a winning move. If John believes he can be the guy then he should be a high priority

Malik--A player we have developed who fits our D and plays very well in it. The pressure he provides is part of what makes us successful. We have developed him from day one and should try and hang on to him.

Danny T--guy is a very good middle line backer and he shows up under pressure. He has made many, many plays for us throughout the year including the SB. Unlike some , I am of the opinion that good linebackers are easily replacable.

I don't know how it will all come down, but that is where I would start.

I would be looking to fill OL with multiple picks in the draft and high ones.BPA is nice but we are stacked with talent if we can keep it but have glaring BIG needs on O. Also be looking for FB and RB between draft and FA depending on what happens in each. I let Hillman walk cause I don't think he fits us well on O.
    These things make sense, but they should try to restructure ware, he seems to compliment VM well on opposite sides.

Leave a comment:

• Jonny_Quest
    replied
    Wolfe actually grades out as a better lineman than Jackson and only makes 9m per year. I'm not sure why other teams would spend more than 10m per year on Jackson.

He's good but he's not 11m+ good.

Leave a comment:

• PAINTERDAVE
    replied
    Malik will command way too much money to keep.
    That is the simple truth. Raiders have like 79 million in cap space
    Best move would be to quickly sign a fair deal with Danny T.
    -
    Can't ever know for sure...
    but Malik , and others.. benefit from this system..
    all these talented players... Von in particular...
    and there is no telling how these guys might play on another team.
    -
    That said.. if we keep Trevathan, Von, Wolfe, Stewart is under contract, Roby, Shaq, and the others...
    there is also no telling if a very talented guy comes in... fits in...and looks really good here..
    BENEFITING from this system and personnel.
    -
    That is what the scouting department guys do.. that is how they got Malik in the first place.
    -
    It aint the end of the world... when Malik goes and gets his big payday..
    cause mark my words.. Malik is gonna get a BIG PAYDAY.
    We made him look that good... and he deserves what he gets.
    He aint looking for no home town discount.
    -
    That's the price winning teams pay.
    Last edited by PAINTERDAVE; 02-13-2016, 06:12 PM.

Leave a comment:

• FL BRONCO
    replied
    Some tough choices for sure.

I would cut

Manning
    Ware
    Clady
    Colquitt

I'm not so interested in looking it up and doing all the numbers, but I believe that is in the range of 40 + million dollar range it gives us based on cutting these 4 to start with.

Would love to keep Ware, he has been awesome and a great mentor. But he is getting long in tooth and not part of the long term future and his money will help with signing our future prospects, roll with Barret/Ray and sign some of our younger key guys.

Manning is gone....

Clady is too much of an unknown with injury issues that imo cant be counted on, even if he could stay healthy we have no idea how his play will be. We will have a limited budget and too many Oline issues so unless he would come back for back up money, I would cut him and use money elsewhere.

Colquitt did not play the best all year. He showed up in the SB, but I think we can get a more consistent alternative for less and need the money elsewhere.

Vasquez I would keep. While he may not be the best of fits, he is a good guard with a year in Kubes system already. We need to sure up the Oline and have enough holes we will have to fill already. We all have seen the results of musical chairs with the Oline the last couple years. Maybe he will take a reduction in pay to stay, but imo already too many moves to be made on Oline.

That should allow us to sign a few of our younger players we have developed especially on D. Here is where I would start. I believe we should start by signing the following with that money and in order of priority.

Miller
    Oz
    Malik
    Danny T

Miller- our future should be a lifer imo/nuff said

Oz--quarterbacks are the most important position imo moving forward. While they don't always win it for you, they sure give you a much better chance. We need a good one at the position who will be there in the future. We have experienced the qb carousel here and imo it is not a winning move. If John believes he can be the guy then he should be a high priority

Malik--A player we have developed who fits our D and plays very well in it. The pressure he provides is part of what makes us successful. We have developed him from day one and should try and hang on to him.

Danny T--guy is a very good middle line backer and he shows up under pressure. He has made many, many plays for us throughout the year including the SB. Unlike some , I am of the opinion that good linebackers are easily replacable.

I don't know how it will all come down, but that is where I would start.

I would be looking to fill OL with multiple picks in the draft and high ones.BPA is nice but we are stacked with talent if we can keep it but have glaring BIG needs on O. Also be looking for FB and RB between draft and FA depending on what happens in each. I let Hillman walk cause I don't think he fits us well on O.
    Last edited by FL BRONCO; 02-13-2016, 09:38 AM.

Leave a comment:

• paycheckeffort
    replied
    Realistically the Broncos organization should have more negotiating power now that they've won the SB. The players understand there's only so much $$ to go around, and for the true team players- winning it all, and playing on a winning team is not only good short term, but provides long term bargaining power on future money. There are many long term factors a player should consider before making the decision to leave a winning team for a little more money. If a player is offered 6 mil and leaves the team because the Broncos offered 4 mil, it could have long term consequences if the other team under performs, and other players, and coaches aren't getting the job done. The player's value could suddenly drop substantially, in which case they would have been better off taking a little less and staying with the winning team.

Leave a comment:

• Fantaztic7
    replied
    Originally posted by DrunkPanda View Post
    If we can keep an elite defense AND keep OZ, I'm fine with that. But I don't think we can and I'm a lot more willing to give up OZ than the elite defense
    Elway will keep as much of the D in tact as possible. Unrealistic to keep everyone. Big part of the equation to repeat goes beyond elite talent - which players being the best chemistry. Signing Wolfe early was a good first step but a sign Elway knows they cannot sign Malik. A team can place a value on a player but as soon as another team goes beyond that amount - all bets are off. Brock could be one of those players - 7 starts however somewhat unknown without having 16 games to evaluate. Let's say the Broncos set a value at 2 years $24 mil and another team offers 2 years $28 mil. If Elway's plan has a limit of $24 mil for Brock then you have to up the offer by sacrificing another player - or letting him go or convincing him to stay at lesser deal.

No question having an elite defense can help win another championship - no guarantee you can repeat the same performance even with 90% of the same players. Only takes an injury or two or one or two high impact players like Malik to slip.

Cannot count on the same performance by the defense - get some balance with the offense and that starts with the O line and QB.

Brock or otherwise we still need a solid QB.

Leave a comment:

• ERoyal248
    replied
    I'd keep Brock if he didnt want a ton of money.

I'd cut Vazquez and bring back Mathis.

I'd tag/re-sign Von, keep Danny, Brut, the RFA/ERFA's.

Cut Clady (just won a SB with Harris/Schofield), he doesnt have much leverage.

Ask Ware to restructure.

Leave a comment:

• ERoyal248
    replied
    Originally posted by MHOC View Post
    Hope we can sign Von and Oz and tag Malik
    Can't see him in a Raider uniform
    We arent tagging Malik.

Malik is probably gone and might be a Raider, price of being good.

Leave a comment:

• DrunkPanda
    replied
    Originally posted by osfantaztic View Post
    Well you may get your wish unfortunately for the Broncos. Are you aware that Brock is ranked the #3 QB UFA and #19 of the top 20 UFA players?

He's been in the league four years and he did not start sooner because of playing behind PM - by design the plan was to develop him behind PM. In today's NFL there are situations where rookie QBs are thrown into the starting role with no development - RG3 and Kaepernick are just two examples. For some rookie QBs it works out however most don't because there is a significant level change from college.

While he has limited starting experience he is not unknown. Elway has watched him in OTAs, camps, pre-season and starting 7 games. Elway sees the potential - fans usually miss the potential because they compare a QB like Brock to veteran QBs with success - Rodgers, Roethlisburger, Tom Brady, Russell Wilson, etc.

Fans in Green Bay could never see Rodgers playing instead of Favre (not at all comparing Brock's potential to ARod).

This is a seller's market for QBs - few options for teams and limited QB draft class.

Oz will command way more than $5 million - his agent would dismiss that offer in a split second.

By keeping an elite defense in tact the Broncos have a legitimate shot at repeating with Brock at QB - with improving O line.
    If we can keep an elite defense AND keep OZ, I'm fine with that. But I don't think we can and I'm a lot more willing to give up OZ than the elite defense

Leave a comment:

Working...
X