Last 7 years under Elway

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by osfantaztic View Post
    Not to mention we fans have a tendency to put the entire game on a play like that. Coaches and players will say after a game that they should have not let the game come down to one play - or one penalty.

Broncos let the Ravens hang around and paid the price. I remember the 3rd and 4 or maybe 6 - Fox was conservative and ran the ball which is usually the right decision however he should have given PM option to call out of the run - if the throw was not there take a sack, throw it away and punt.

I know Rahim made a bad play however the game was not all on him.
    Yes, as I recall that game, something felt strange right from the get go, given we were expected to win. I kept wondering, "this is too close". And the old story, if you are too close, anything can happen. How many times I have sweated through OT in sports, where one play wins it. At that point, it may come down to simple luck. Luck is not how you want to finalize a playoff game. NEVER!

But yes, turnovers, lost opportunities, questionable play strategy all factored in. Moore's misplay was certainly a factor as well, but you don't lose the game on that play. If we had made a first down on the previous series, the game is over. If we score in OT, the game is over. If we play a better game, like we could at the time, the game is over.

Blaming one player for eternity over one misplay is really unfair, and in my opinion, short sighted.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
      Yes, as I recall that game, something felt strange right from the get go, given we were expected to win. I kept wondering, "this is too close". And the old story, if you are too close, anything can happen. How many times I have sweated through OT in sports, where one play wins it. At that point, it may come down to simple luck. Luck is not how you want to finalize a playoff game. NEVER!

But yes, turnovers, lost opportunities, questionable play strategy all factored in. Moore's misplay was certainly a factor as well, but you don't lose the game on that play. If we had made a first down on the previous series, the game is over. If we score in OT, the game is over. If we play a better game, like we could at the time, the game is over.

Blaming one player for eternity over one misplay is really unfair, and in my opinion, short sighted.
      Great perspective.

I had sort of the same feeling in that game - mostly because we beat them straight up in Baltimore weeks earlier. We beat them in their house and they would return the gesture. A friend of mine who isn't a Broncos fan was texting me in the 4th qtr saying we were letting them hang around.

The SB 50 victory is incredible after knocking on the door the last three years.
      Last edited by Fantaztic7; 02-14-2016, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by BroncoooJohnson View Post
        I think it definitely worked for the better. While he is still marginally better than Ware, he was not mentoring Von the way Ware did.

Elway truly helped unlock Von's potential by signing the one player Von always admired as he came up. It was meant to happen this way.
        Von often mentioned Dumerville as his "big brother", his "Batman". When Dumerville signed with Baltimore, thats when things went south for Von. I honestly think Elway signed Ware for the sole purpose of mentoring Von. If he got even a modest production from Ware, that was a bonus. It was a gamble but it all worked out in the end. I pray Ware signs up with us on cap friendly terms.

Comment

Originally posted by ArchAngel View Post
          Von often mentioned Dumerville as his "big brother", his "Batman". When Dumerville signed with Baltimore, thats when things went south for Von. I honestly think Elway signed Ware for the sole purpose of mentoring Von. If he got even a modest production from Ware, that was a bonus. It was a gamble but it all worked out in the end. I pray Ware signs up with us on cap friendly terms.
          1. Von failed his SECOND drug test within weeks of Dumervil being released. The problem existed when Doom was here.

2. Dumervil was arrested for aggravated assault for pulling a gun on somebody in traffic. Do you really think he was an effective mentor for Von?

3. Von said the best thing that has happened to his career is Demarcus Ware coming to Denver. No arguing with that.
          Fightin' Texas Aggie c/o '16

Comment

If anything, Dumervil was a negative impact on Miller. He talked about Doom like a brother, he talks about Ware like a respected father figure.
            sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by ArchAngel View Post
              I am confident Elway, Ellis and Kubiak will be burning the midnight oil figuring out the cap situation and who to keep and who to let walk. I believe they also employee someone who is considered a "cap expert", the name fails me though.
              Matt Russel is the cap guru. I think he got done DUI in his first year here. Not sure if he is still with the Broncos.
              www.nrlhub.com NRL HUB

Comment

Working...
              X