Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the earliest we could reasonably release DT?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by paycheckeffort View Post
    Seems like every time I see posts about the cap hit cutting DT the numbers are different. Leaves me wondering which one is accurate.
    Makes you wonder if the real cap accounting is accurate!

Comment

The numbers probably change because not all details of contract are known is my guess. Also dates when certain numbers become guaranteed along with escalator clauses that aren't factored in until they kick in.

I don't think there would even be a possibility of DT being cut until after 2017. In 2017, DTs full 8.5 mil salary is gtd.

Comment

Another silly post about cutting DT. So the guy has an off year and still racks up over 1300 yards receiving and people want him gone? If DT performed poorly over a couple of seasons it would be concerning, but it is one year and I believe he will bounce back. He always is the first one the defense focuses on stopping and we don't have JT to occupy a defense either. I doubt Elway is thinking of releasing him, just about any team out there would pay him what we did.

Comment

I hope he retires a Bronco
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by osfantaztic View Post
            Makes you wonder if the real cap accounting is accurate!
            Yes it does!

Originally posted by trc1962 View Post
            Another silly post about cutting DT. So the guy has an off year and still racks up over 1300 yards receiving and people want him gone? If DT performed poorly over a couple of seasons it would be concerning, but it is one year and I believe he will bounce back. He always is the first one the defense focuses on stopping and we don't have JT to occupy a defense either. I doubt Elway is thinking of releasing him, just about any team out there would pay him what we did.
            The issue is not so much the overall season and stats, but rather what happened in the last several games, and postseason. The lack of effort was alarming to say the least.

Comment

Yes it does!

The issue is not so much the overall season and stats, but rather what happened in the last several games, and postseason. The lack of effort was alarming to say the least.
              Really wonder about the effort in the playoffs. When DT is determined and plays "angry" he dominates. Sanders rises above pressure and flat out gets after it. I watched the segment on Sanders dedication to practicing footwork and techniques to outplay DBs. Wonder if DT is putting in enough work. I remember when he held out of team drills one of my friends said that was a bad sign of his football commitment.

Comment

Seems like every time I see posts about the cap hit cutting DT the numbers are different. Leaves me wondering which one is accurate.
                Cutting him has different consequences in relation to "dead money" than if he was traded. Trading would accelerate all guaranteed money.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by osfantaztic View Post
                  Really wonder about the effort in the playoffs. When DT is determined and plays "angry" he dominates. Sanders rises above pressure and flat out gets after it. I watched the segment on Sanders dedication to practicing footwork and techniques to outplay DBs. Wonder if DT is putting in enough work. I remember when he held out of team drills one of my friends said that was a bad sign of his football commitment.
                  There was an article out on this issue. I posted the link in another thread where DT said he didn't want to practice for fear of getting hurt, to which Elway responded publicy how frustrating the situation was.

Comment

I'm not sure why everyone is on the cut DT train all of the sudden. In one of his off years DT still had good season. I think people are also overlooking what DT brings to this team. Every game DT is matched up against the opposing teams number 1 cb and is occasionally double teamed. If we lose DT our entire offense would be an absolute mess. Do people really think sanders would be able to have the same production if he was our number 1? Look what happened to the Packers this year. Their number 1 guy goes down and an elite offense is barley mediocre the rest of the year. Cobb is nearly non existent because he simply can not beat number 1 cbs. The same thing would happen to us. There is no way our offense is in a better position without dt.

Comment

Originally posted by brianmcfarlane View Post
                      Cutting him has different consequences in relation to "dead money" than if he was traded. Trading would accelerate all guaranteed money.
                      I'm sure it does. All protections for the player, and none for the team.

Comment

Ok, so I couldn't find stats on drops, but basically looking at catch % based on targets, here's what DT's season looks like to me:

I drew the line at the NE game (week 12) since that was the epic meltdown for most of us.

Wk1 - Wk11 (10 games) - TGT: 111, Rec: 71, Catch% 63.9
                        Wk12-Wk17 (6 games) - TGT: 61, Rec: 34, Catch% 51.5
                        Postseason (3 games) - TGT: 21, Rec: 7, Catch% 33.3
                        Wk12 - SB (9 games) - TGT: 82, Rec: 41, Catch% 50

I know this is incredibly un-scientific as these numbers don't reflect coverage, gameplan, or anything other than target/reception numbers, so take it for what it's worth. However, I find the trend over the course of the season to be disturbing/frustrating. Especially the postseason numbers. I'm sure DT was disturbed/frustrated by it as well.

I hope he gets back to himself before next season. He's unstoppable when he's got his head on straight.

Comment

Originally posted by imahardkase View Post
                          Ok, so I couldn't find stats on drops, but basically looking at catch % based on targets, here's what DT's season looks like to me:

I drew the line at the NE game (week 12) since that was the epic meltdown for most of us.

Wk1 - Wk11 (10 games) - TGT: 111, Rec: 71, Catch% 63.9
                          Wk12-Wk17 (6 games) - TGT: 61, Rec: 34, Catch% 51.5
                          Postseason (3 games) - TGT: 21, Rec: 7, Catch% 33.3
                          Wk12 - SB (9 games) - TGT: 82, Rec: 41, Catch% 50

I know this is incredibly un-scientific as these numbers don't reflect coverage, gameplan, or anything other than target/reception numbers, so take it for what it's worth. However, I find the trend over the course of the season to be disturbing/frustrating. Especially the postseason numbers. I'm sure DT was disturbed/frustrated by it as well.

I hope he gets back to himself before next season. He's unstoppable when he's got his head on straight.
                          Thanks for posting that. This is the point I've been emphasizing repeatedly in the threads. If this were a single line chart it would show a line straight down.

Comment

Thanks for posting the stats ^^^^

I'm not one calling to trade or release him. For the season he had a solid year. He needs to work harder in the off season and renew commitment to being the best. Sure Sanders gets the benefit of DBs covering DT however it is clear he shows up every game fired up. He proves it with his play. The only real bad play Sanders made was the fumble in the SD game. Sanders puts in the extra training to get the edge.

DT needs to not think about who's the QB. He needs to focus, practice and improve his skills. He tends to pout when things don't go as planned - physically gifted athlete but the mind and heart are more important.
                            Last edited by Fantaztic7; 02-13-2016, 03:11 PM.

Comment

If I had to choose, I'd take sanders over DT without giving it a second thought.

Comment

If I had to choose, I'd take sanders over DT without giving it a second thought.
                                So were you saying the same thing about Von last few years? Doesn't show up in big games" "Too risky with off the field issues"

Almost all big contract guys are overpaid and make it tough on a team in regards to the salary cap.

Comment

Working...
                                X