Elway's Group Have Made Good With Draft Picks Through The Winning Seasons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Elway's Group Have Made Good With Draft Picks Through The Winning Seasons

Sure, getting Von Miller at #2 was a great pick, but when you draft that early, you better score big. Some teams have made a mess of their opportunities, and seemingly bounce from one draft to another without gaining ground.

But look at the late picks we started with since we turned things around, and realize how good we drafted:

2012 - Wolfe (36th selection)

2013 - Williams (28th)

2014 - Roby (31st)

2015 - Ray (23rd)

These guys are all Dmen, and all contributing. In fact, Wolfe and Roby are near pro bowl in my books. Williams is developing into a solid interior force, and Ray's future is very bright. In my books, he fell into our laps, and I also believe we will be a good fit for him long term. Hey, we all make mistakes.

When you have continued good seasons, and go far, as in 2 SBs in 3 years, you don't get high picks unless you trade up for them. But in our case, I am very pleased with these selections. Not to mention, we have been very good at finding quality players later in drafts.....as well as undrafted players. In those last 4 drafts alone, I really love what we did in 2012! Wolfe, Oz, Hillman, Bolden, Blake (ok!), Jackson and Trev. Really, Malik and Danny right near the end of the draft! REALLY!!

OK, 2013 wasn't our best, but 14 and 15 still show promise overall. Look at how many of them have played some decent role including Roby, Ray, Latimer, Schofield, Sambrailo, Garcia and Kilgo. Not to mention Heuerman and Siemian, who may play roles in future.

I am sure I have missed a few players deserving more recognition here. But I will add CJ for being an undrafted player, in that timeframe (as was Harris prior to).

So good on the brass for finding quality players, even with later picks.

Elway's regime has drafted amazingly well. Always makes me laugh when people talk about the occasional blown pick.

Look at how much late-round and UDFA treasure they've uncovered since they took over. That's why you see so much depth all over the team.

Comment

What I appreciate most is the unswerving commitment to defense in spending our top picks there every year since he took over. Shanahan and McDoof left it in talentless shambles and the rebuilding effort through the draft and freeagency has been remarkable -pure gold!

I'm very concerned about losing Malik and Trevathan but from the perspective of our overall draft success on defense, maybe they can be replaced well enough here?

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

After Wolfe, Elway has always taken the no brainier value. Cant blame him.
        sigpic

Comment

I love his defensive picks. But offensively his picks are really weak. Julius Thomas and Orlando Franklin have been his only solids. Too early to tell on Oz. We need him to draft some pro bowlers on offense.

Comment

Originally posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
            I love his defensive picks. But offensively his picks are really weak. Julius Thomas and Orlando Franklin have been his only solids. Too early to tell on Oz. We need him to draft some pro bowlers on offense.
            I think that has more to do with the fact that he hasn't really put much emphasis on drafting offense. When drafting, you should be happy when a relatively low pecentage (higher than average though) become something. So when you put more emphasis on defense, you're bound to hit there more than offense.

Comment

Hey, I haven't been big on Elway's drafting up until I have seen some amazing results this season. Wolfe's risen to a new level. Roby is part of the best trio of CBs in the league. Trev and Malik were back to back late "steals". And the fact that had he not got hurt, Sambrailo was going to play OT in his first season. More stories of that nature, including finding CJ from the undrafted group.

Conversely I have been really big on Elway's free agency success. Of course Manning was a huge signing, but so were Ware, Talib, Ward and Sanders. And there were more.

But when you now combine his successes at both roster processes, I have to give him an A. To be fair, he was a little concerned with the group he had prior to the '12 season. QB was definitely an issue. He smiled as Tebow somehow got us past The Steelers in the playoffs, but he knew full well what was ahead. In fact, I truly believe he was anxious the way Tebow kept winning games when losses would have secured a better opportunity to draft a QB. That said, we won our first playoff game since the back to back championships.

Good work John!

Comment

His drafting has been awesome, but his UDFA have been outstanding.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                  Hey, I haven't been big on Elway's drafting up until I have seen some amazing results this season. Wolfe's risen to a new level. Roby is part of the best trio of CBs in the league. Trev and Malik were back to back late "steals". And the fact that had he not got hurt, Sambrailo was going to play OT in his first season. More stories of that nature, including finding CJ from the undrafted group.

Conversely I have been really big on Elway's free agency success. Of course Manning was a huge signing, but so were Ware, Talib, Ward and Sanders. And there were more.

But when you now combine his successes at both roster processes, I have to give him an A. To be fair, he was a little concerned with the group he had prior to the '12 season. QB was definitely an issue. He smiled as Tebow somehow got us past The Steelers in the playoffs, but he knew full well what was ahead. In fact, I truly believe he was anxious the way Tebow kept winning games when losses would have secured a better opportunity to draft a QB. That said, we won our first playoff game since the back to back championships.

Good work John!
                  Anyone can be upset about their gm's draft picks pretty easily. All it takes is them not taking picks that you want. I mean look at how many Texans fans were furious at the jj watt pick.

Not saying you're one of them, but most fans think they know just about everything about who is going to be good and who won't based on some reading material and watching some highlight tapes.

I always take a proven gm's pick over my opinion of who should be taken. Typically I'm disappointed for a few seconds and then I think to myself, I'm sure John had better reasoning for wanting that pick over what I want.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post

Good work John!
                    Yeah, Elway was in a pickle with Tebow being so popular.
                    Then suddenly.. BINGO..
                    Peyton Manning hits the market.. and Johnny made it happen.

Like a Hollywood script.
                    - Go Broncos 2017 and Beyond! -

Super Bowl 50 CHAMPIONS!

Comment

Originally posted by PAINTERDAVE View Post
                      Yeah, Elway was in a pickle with Tebow being so popular.
                      Then suddenly.. BINGO..
                      Peyton Manning hits the market.. and Johnny made it happen.

Like a Hollywood script.
                      Here's hoping the success continues.
                      sigpic

Comment

I am afraid I am critical of Elway's drafting and think the let-downs out-weigh the successes. Specifically, the number 2-picks have not worked out well and that is too high of a slot to have the fail-rate we are having. However, some of his later picks have been exceptional. To me, it runs either hot or cold with Elway and not much in between. I am hoping 2015 is the year we get a good player with the #2 pick. I am glad Elway does well with FA because it seems like sometimes he has to to fix draft mistakes. I suppose every team gets that and it could be worse, but it could be a lot better also.

The jury is still out on how 2015 will shake out, but let's look at year's past:

2014:
                        Roby-- Starter
                        Latimer-- Struggling
                        Schofield-- Struggling
                        Barrow-- Released
                        Paradis-- Starter
                        Nelson-- Released

2013:
                        Williams-- Starter
                        Ball-- Released
                        Webster-- Struggling
                        Smith-- Released
                        King-- Released
                        Dysert-- Released

2012:
                        Wolfe-- Starter
                        Osweiler-- Starter/Backup
                        Hillman-- ? Released?
                        Bolden-- Backup
                        Blake-- Released
                        Jackson-- Starter
                        Trevathan-- Starter

I am not sure what to classify Hillman as since I do not expect him to be back next year; but more telling is how sad our bench strength is at RB when Hillman is our only choice to spell Anderson. I think Hillman has very a very low YPC and his potential to bust off a big one has not happened often enough to keep him around.
                        Last edited by Rancid; 02-13-2016, 07:59 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
                          I am afraid I am critical of Elway's drafting and think the let-downs out-weigh the successes. Specifically, the number 2-picks have not worked out well and that is too high of a slot to have the fail-rate we are having. However, some of his later picks have been exceptional. To me, it runs either hot or cold with Elway and not much in between. I am hoping 2015 is the year we get a good player with the #2 pick. I am glad Elway does well with FA because it seems like sometimes he has to to fix draft mistakes. I suppose every team gets that and it could be worse, but it could be a lot better also.

The jury is still out on how 2015 will shake out, but let's look at year's past:

2014:
                          Roby-- Starter
                          Latimer-- Struggling
                          Schofield-- Struggling
                          Barrow-- Released
                          Paradis-- Starter
                          Nelson-- Released

2013:
                          Williams-- Starter
                          Ball-- Released
                          Webster-- Struggling
                          Smith-- Released
                          King-- Released
                          Dysert-- Released

2012:
                          Wolfe-- Starter
                          Osweiler-- Starter/Backup
                          Hillman-- ? Released?
                          Bolden-- Backup
                          Blake-- Released
                          Jackson-- Starter
                          Trevathan-- Starter

I am not sure what to classify Hillman as since I do not expect him to be back next year; but more telling is how sad our bench strength is at RB when Hillman is our only choice to spell Anderson. I think Hillman has very a very low YPC and his potential to bust off a big one has not happened often enough to keep him around.
                          I mentioned that '13 wasn't a good year, but '12 has proven to be very effective (ha ha, Hillman's been a starter and yet to hear that he was released). I am not sure yet about '14. All it takes is for you to land 3 starters in a draft year to be successful in my books. Sure, depending on the position. But conversely, if you get a starter or two and a few role players, that's a positive impact.

As for '15, I am pretty high on Ray and even Sambrailo, when healthy. And as mentioned, in the mix are Garcia, Kilgo and Siemian. Time will tell.

But again, the objective of this thread is to highlight how well we did with our first picks each year, given they were not high picks.

~~~~

BTW....anyone know about Heuerman's status?
                          Last edited by CanDB; 02-13-2016, 08:12 PM.

Comment

Latimer - too early to tell in my opinion he's been behind DT and Sanders so few chances.

Webster - money on Special Teams and why would we need Guys like Keo when Webster can cover and tackles strong.

Bolden - just hurt too much.

Ball - might have given up early. Line was not good and did not give it time for him to develop in ZBS run. Maybe Studesville knew it would not work. Motivation issue?

Comment

I feel like you may have an unrealistic expectation then. When compared to the NFL average, he has killed it.

Comment

Working...
                              X