Elway's Group Have Made Good With Draft Picks Through The Winning Seasons

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
    I love his defensive picks. But offensively his picks are really weak. Julius Thomas and Orlando Franklin have been his only solids. Too early to tell on Oz. We need him to draft some pro bowlers on offense.
    Well his defensive picks won us a superbowl...I would say he's doing just fine. Our primary focus has been on the defensive side of the ball because that is where championships are won (we are proof of that in a bigger way than any team in history)

We tend to address offensive needs via FA and that has worked out just fine until this year and really I would argue that if it wasn't for Manning our offense would have been in a better position by the end of the year. If we'd have started Brock and given him the entire year to progress I think we'd have had a decent presence on both sides of the ball.

I expect the offense to be addressed in FA with journeymen players and then we'll draft a few key positions. I think we still go defense heavy in the draft this year because that's our bread and butter on this team.
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
      Well his defensive picks won us a superbowl...I would say he's doing just fine. Our primary focus has been on the defensive side of the ball because that is where championships are won (we are proof of that in a bigger way than any team in history)

We tend to address offensive needs via FA and that has worked out just fine until this year and really I would argue that if it wasn't for Manning our offense would have been in a better position by the end of the year. If we'd have started Brock and given him the entire year to progress I think we'd have had a decent presence on both sides of the ball.

I expect the offense to be addressed in FA with journeymen players and then we'll draft a few key positions. I think we still go defense heavy in the draft this year because that's our bread and butter on this team.
      We may have been better off rolling with Osweiler to start the year, but I just don't see how that Oline would've allowed anything significantly better than what we got. Our best O lineman might've been Garcia, and Schlereth says he busts pass protection at an alarming rate. Probably the worst pass protecting offensive line I can remember.

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Sitoke View Post
        We may have been better off rolling with Osweiler to start the year, but I just don't see how that Oline would've allowed anything significantly better than what we got. Our best O lineman might've been Garcia, and Schlereth says he busts pass protection at an alarming rate. Probably the worst pass protecting offensive line I can remember.
        Well and I will agree, the o-line was a hindrance, I do think having an immobile QB was no help to them, I think the more they and Brock grew together the less that would have been insurmountable. Hopefully for the sake of whoever our QB is starting week 1 this issue gets addressed significantly.
        sigpic

Comment

PM is definately a statue but he did get the ball out of his hands faster than Oz could.

Big fan of Oz and I think his processing speed will get better with experience but imo he held onto the ball too long.
          Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

John has been the best GM in the NFL from day one. Is it even close?

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
              PM is definately a statue but he did get the ball out of his hands faster than Oz could.

Big fan of Oz and I think his processing speed will get better with experience but imo he held onto the ball too long.
              In my opinion Oz needs to work on several things:
              1) Getting rid of the ball in a timelier fashion - too many sacks
              2) Learning to throw over and around Dlinemen - he had an issue with blocked passes
              3) Working on long ball accuracy - he's not terrible, but he was not that accurate given I thought he was going to be a long ball threat

Hey, everyone has to work on things. Now, perhaps the biggest thing he needs to work on is related to play calling/reading Ds. I sense that was a concern for our coaching staff, and ultimately impacted the decision to put Manning back in.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                In my opinion Oz needs to work on several things:
                1) Getting rid of the ball in a timelier fashion - too many sacks
                2) Learning to throw over and around Dlinemen - he had an issue with blocked passes
                3) Working on long ball accuracy - he's not terrible, but he was not that accurate given I thought he was going to be a long ball threat

Hey, everyone has to work on things. Now, perhaps the biggest thing he needs to work on is related to play calling/reading Ds. I sense that was a concern for our coaching staff, and ultimately impacted the decision to put Manning back in.
                I don't deny those are concerns, but they are all concerns that can be vastly improved in the offseason and through the course of the season. He will have areas to improve in, so will any QB we sign or draft, however, if we do somehow manage to lock him up, I'm excited about seeing him as the starter for a full season and confident that he can get us to another championship as long as we can keep a lot of the key components on D.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
                  I don't deny those are concerns, but they are all concerns that can be vastly improved in the offseason and through the course of the season. He will have areas to improve in, so will any QB we sign or draft, however, if we do somehow manage to lock him up, I'm excited about seeing him as the starter for a full season and confident that he can get us to another championship as long as we can keep a lot of the key components on D.
                  I think most of these things can be fixed, and within a season or two. The only thing we need to be concerned about is football IQ, whether he has it or not. That too gets better with repetition, trial and error, coaching. So, not ruling out high potential. But these are things that need to be understood when negotiating a contract.

I'm sure Elway and company know what Brock's worth today, and in the near future.....but there may be some uncertainty long term.

Comment

Yes and no. There has been plenty of head scratchers in rounds 2-3 but he's made up for it in rounds 1 and 4-6

Comment

Working...
                    X