Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• listopencil
    replied
    Scho struggled in a role that he wasn't meant to have to take on. He also wasn't given any help on a lot of plays, and pre-snap protection calls have been intermittently poor. I don't think he should just be cast away as worthless while we are trying to rebuild a line here. The guy can play Guard and has quite a chunk of experience at Tackle.

Leave a comment:

• broncos SB2010
    replied
    I want them to keep all of the Olineman, bring a vet or two, and then sign the best OT they can get in the draft and maybe an interior player or two as well. Then let them all compete and see who is left standing before deciding who will start where.

Leave a comment:

• MHSalute
    replied
    Originally posted by ramanboy33 View Post
    I'd like to see an O-line next year of:

Osemele // Evan Mathis // Matt Paradis // Max Garcia // Mitchell Schwartz

Swing Tackle = Ty Sambrailo
    Gives Ty another year to develop and Osemele moves inside /w Mathis on a 1 year deal.

Leave a comment:

• IAbronco24
    replied
    Can't really see a situation beyond injuries where Schofield is in the starting line up next year. Even if we lose Clady we could put Ty at LT and hopefully find somebody else at RT. The gamble that could pay off is if Clady takes a good paycut and performs well at LT and we keep TY at RT. but that might be too much risk at this point because we can't afford Clady going down again

Leave a comment:

• gtown53
    replied
    Originally posted by samparnell View Post
    I like the idea of signing Mitchell Schwartz. Is he UFA this year?
    Mitchell Schwartz is a UFA. His salary this past season was $1.6 million.

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Originally posted by ramanboy33 View Post
    I'd like to see an O-line next year of:

Ryan Clady // Evan Mathis // Matt Paradis // Max Garcia // Mitchell Schwartz

Swing Tackle = Ty Sambrailo
    I like the idea of signing Mitchell Schwartz. Is he UFA this year?

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Ryan Harris, Evan Mathis and Tyler Polumbus are unrestricted free agents this year. Harris proved himself a true swing tackle this season, and might be worth re-signing. We'll have to wait and see if any of these guys return in 2016.

Matt Paradis and Sam Brenner are exclusive rights free agents this year, so I guess that means they will be back if they are tendered and accept.

Tackles Ryan Clady, Ty Sambrailo, Michael Schofield, Kyle Roberts and Cameron Jefferson are under contract in 2016, I believe, as are Guards Max Garcia, Louis Vasquez, and Robert Myers plus Centers Dillon Day and James Ferentz.

If Ryan Clady rearranges his contract, he is probably better than any available free agent Left Tackles. Ty Sambrailo can probably play both sides. Michael Schofield was tried as a swing tackle in TC, but it didn't go well on the left. Jefferson and Roberts were rookies on the PS last season. We'll find out what Elway & Co. think about Clady, Sambrailo and Schofield when free agency and the draft roll around. I think they will draft a Left Tackle. If a free agent is signed, Harris will probably be considered, and maybe Polumbus, too.

Depth at Guard is thin with Vasquez and Garcia the only current ones with experience. Robert Myers was a rookie in 2015. I like the idea of trying Michael Schofield at LG. He had ten starts at LG before moving to RT at Michigan. I think Denver will draft a Guard. Sam Brenner had four starts at LG in Miami, so he might get a shot at that spot.

Paradis played every snap at C in 2015. The other Centers are Brenner, Day and Ferentz. Ferentz was active for thirteen games in 2015, but played only as a Fullback in Jumbo formations IIRC. I think the backup Center on game day was probably Max Garcia.

Given who is under contract this year, a possible starting O-Line would be Clady - Garcia - Paradis - Vasquez - Sambrailo. Since Brenner, Day, Ferentz, Jefferson, Myers and Roberts are unknown, there is basically no quality depth behind the starters. One or more of those six guys may step up to win a roster spot, or a couple of drafted rookies may do so. It might be a good idea to re-sign Ryan Harris. Vasquez may be asked to rearrange his contract, too.

Leave a comment:

• Jason Sitoke
    replied
    Originally posted by stick77 View Post
    Haven't you already stated what they did. They chipped with the backs, and lined up a TE on that side to help. Those words aren't vague, they are normal terminology. I for one am glad Carolina did nothing to "adjust". They paid for it.
    Ok...so you're saying he played well because we schemed around his poor play?

Leave a comment:

• montee2ball
    replied
    Originally posted by Jason Sitoke View Post
    Ok...so what adjustments would you have made?

I've heard a lot of nice vague words like 'scheme', 'strengths and weaknesses', and 'adjust' but I don't see any specifics.

Back to the point, what scheming would you do for Schofield?
    The only adjustment is not to play him. Simply terrible. Just watching Kahlil Mack own him for 4 sacks and Ealy in the Super Bowl was enough.

Leave a comment:

• montee2ball
    replied
    I think everyone is too hard on Schofield. 2nd year player who stepped in and played well. Had a couple bad games, Oakland for sure. You didn't hear his name mentioned once in the playoffs, he played well. Watch the tape, played much better than given credit for.
    Schofield played well? What games have you been watching? At best, he's a swing guard. For all the great picks Elway has made (Miller, Roby, Wolfe, Ray), he has also made some weak ones (Ball, Schofield). As of right now: Clady-Garcia-Paradis-Vasquez-Sambrailo. Elway will draft more linemen.

Leave a comment:

• Rich_C
    replied
    They aren't going to get bigger and larger though. Zone scheme built for athletic lineman. Big in height, but not in bulk. Elway thrived in it, and Kubiak loves it. I love Manning, but an athletic QB can only help the offensive woes from this year. I agree they will draft OL for depth and competition.
    a mobile QB only stacks the box a bit more which can in some cases open up some passes. The issue is that Kubiak wants to run the ball down our opponents throat. Unless our Oline gets really nasty or gets nasty and bigger quickly we will continue to have issues in the red zone. We need to keep in mind that there are some athletic differences in the game between when Elway and Kubiak were playing and today. Clowney on the Texans is one great example. Guy like him were a pipe dream back then. Who the heck is the size of a lineman and runs like a Running back or faster? The fact is that he was one of the first like that but those types of players are becoming more and more commonplace. As a result you need lineman who can protect against that.

I am not one of those guys who think Schofield should be outright cut. I hated him as our RT but after re-watching him in games I do think he can be a great Guard for us. He played Guard in college. With that type of move he adds a good combination of speed and size to our interior.

Leave a comment:

• stick77
    replied

I've heard a lot of nice vague words like 'scheme', 'strengths and weaknesses', and 'adjust' but I don't see any specifics.

Haven't you already stated what they did. They chipped with the backs, and lined up a TE on that side to help. Those words aren't vague, they are normal terminology. I for one am glad Carolina did nothing to "adjust". They paid for it.

Leave a comment:

• Jason Sitoke
    replied
    Or you don't adjust or change your scheme, and get destroyed like they did. It's all about adjustments, and not everyone is going to win their assignment every play. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses. Play to them.

Last edited by Jason Sitoke; 02-17-2016, 10:00 AM.

Leave a comment:

• stick77
    replied
    Huh? Even Kubiak said Schofield sometimes has to just man up and win his battle. If he cannot win most of the battles against an edge rusher in passing downs...he can't play.

How does Carolina scheme better for a 4-5 man rush where EVERY defender will win a one on one (Jackson, Wolfe, Ware, Miller)? Keep 8 in and run a 2 man route every play? Scheme does not magically make your personnel better, and it must be situational. Just like all those people that want to double every receiver and still spy the quarterback. We only got 11.
    Or you don't adjust or change your scheme, and get destroyed like they did. It's all about adjustments, and not everyone is going to win their assignment every play. Everyone has strengths and weaknesses. Play to them.

Leave a comment:

• stick77
    replied
    244 total yards against NE
    194 total yards against the Panthers

Once again...no idea what offense you've been watching, but they had trouble with yards AND points all year.
    That had absolutely nothing to do with the D's they played against huh? They clearly got leads in those games and rode the coat tails of the Defense. MANNING WAS LIMITED!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X