Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else remember how strong the opinion was on these boards we could not....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else remember how strong the opinion was on these boards we could not....

Remember how strong the opinion on these boards was we could not make a 3-4 work? I remember the opinion being STRONG and not just by casual posters but by regular posters.

We did not have the NT...we did not have the ILBs...that was by far the most common response. Even after we got Wade I remember seeing this a lot.

I think by far the biggest point made was we did not have the NT...and Sly ended up rating pretty low on the NT list....was not like we had a great NT.

Our ILBs ended up rating out pretty darn good tho...so did our DEs.

Think we all knew we had the OLBs to play the 3-4 which is why you would see a thread every 2-3 months saying why don't we try the 3-4.

Guess the 3-4 is about more than a great dominant NT

Come to find out we had the players on the team which arguably lead to the best defense all time. The NT was not as important as a lot of posters made it sound. All we were missing was the coaching.

I did not know either...guess just pointing out that no one really knows.

No reason to get worked up over anyone's opinion is the lesson learned imo
    Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

I think Wade Phillips had a lot to do with why the defense was as good as it was.

It wasn't so much about having 3-4 personnel as it was having a DC that could make it work with what he had, much of which did fit a 3-4 scheme.

We'll see if they can keep up the good work though.
    My Opinion isn’t determined by what the Popular Opinion is. Sometimes I agree with the Majority, Sometimes I Don’t. If My Opinion is Different than Yours, I have to Ask One Question:
    You Mad Bro?
    Don’t Be A Mean Girl

Comment

I wasn't a part of those conversations, so I can only speak to my own opinions. When I heard Wade was going to 3-4, I was very excited. We had more talent and depth at LB than DL, so it made perfect sense for our base to utilize that talent and depth. Plus it gives you more versatile coverage and blitz schemes. I am surprised anyone would question Trevathan and Marshall (not to mention Davis and Nelson) after what we have seen in the past two years. I imagine the criticism was more an overreaction after we lost Knighton (who was awful in DC this year).

Comment

Yeah, I couldn't understand a few posters views being dead set on the 3-4 being terrible for us. I had a bit of a chuckle about it. I was a long time lurker before. I believe it was the patriots fans that brought me out into actually posting. Lol
        Last edited by ksubroncosfan; 02-18-2016, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Ever since we drafted Von Miller, I have been promoting the idea that we should switch to a 3-4. Still think we would have had a great Defense if we would have switched to a 3-4 and had Dumervil and Miller on both sides....In fact, after we drafted Miller, this is what I thought we were doing.
          New England Patriots GM

Comment

I also believed that when we drafted Miller we should of went to a 3-4. When I herd we were switching, I was excited. I felt that we had a lot of players that would be a better fit in a 3-4, especially Ware, Miller and Wolfe. The only doubt that I had was Sly, but he proved us all wrong.

Comment

I agree about Miller. It always seemed we should try the 3-4 with Miller. I do not know enough about football to have a strong opinion about it tho.

Also seemed like we had a bunch of good LBs but once again I do not know enough to predict the performance differences from 4-3 to 3-4

When we hired Wade and someone posted a video about how even within the 3-4 scheme there are different ways to play it depending on your players and what they can do....when I saw that video....I was sure our defense would be better. Honestly I did think it would take half a season....had no idea how fast it would happen nor could I dream how good we would become
              Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                Remember how strong the opinion on these boards was we could not make a 3-4 work? I remember the opinion being STRONG and not just by casual posters but by regular posters.

We did not have the NT...we did not have the ILBs...that was by far the most common response. Even after we got Wade I remember seeing this a lot.

I think by far the biggest point made was we did not have the NT...and Sly ended up rating pretty low on the NT list....was not like we had a great NT.

Our ILBs ended up rating out pretty darn good tho...so did our DEs.

Think we all knew we had the OLBs to play the 3-4 which is why you would see a thread every 2-3 months saying why don't we try the 3-4.

Guess the 3-4 is about more than a great dominant NT

Come to find out we had the players on the team which arguably lead to the best defense all time. The NT was not as important as a lot of posters made it sound. All we were missing was the coaching.

I did not know either...guess just pointing out that no one really knows.

No reason to get worked up over anyone's opinion is the lesson learned imo
                I just noticed this topic and I have to say the 3-4 v 4-3 debate is one of the most overused in football. The better debate is 1 gap D v 2 gap D, because that's what really matters. When Jack Del Rio was the DC in Denver the Broncos were playing a "40 front" but because they had 3 of the 4 defensive linemen 2 gapping, it was actually played like a classic 30 front defense. The linemen were taking on blocks and waiting for the play to develop, trying to keep the linebackers free to make plays.

With Wade Phillips, it's said the Broncos are playing a 3-4, although in reality because of the alignment of the defenders you could call it a 5-2 or really it's a slightly modified 40 under defense. Without getting into semantics though, the defense is a 1 gap penetration defense, which plays like a classic 40.

Also the Phillips defense isn't playing a 0 technique Nose tackle that needs to anchor and absorb double teams, they're playing with a 1 technique (the same as a NT would in a standard 4-3) and that NT will generally go straight through the A gap he's lined up in or slant to the A gap on the other side.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post

Also the Phillips defense isn't playing a 0 technique Nose tackle that needs to anchor and absorb double teams, they're playing with a 1 technique (the same as a NT would in a standard 4-3) and that NT will generally go straight through the A gap he's lined up in or slant to the A gap on the other side.
                  I was just going to post this, sly did what was asked of him, and pretty well imo. You can't grade him like a traditional nose tackle in a 34 because that isn't his job. I suspect the sites that gave him a bad grade did just that.

As for the topic of the thread, I was leary of the switch until we hire Wade. Once that happened I could see Johns vision and became very excited. I thought we would bring in a wade type nose tackle, but sly proved me wrong. Our linebackers were never an issue, and John saw to it that we would have one of the best defensive back fields in the NFL.
                  Anonymity is cowardice, and cowards are not known for their wisdom.

Comment

You can make any defense work you just have to plug in the right players in the right position. Most of the time you are stuck with what you have... therefore, you have to make some adjustments and change the defensive based on what works. I think for Broncos it worked because they put together every piece by piece and it all tied down well. They were in sync and well balanced in every area.
                    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC58FJxqMstDuwD8R_QIJdSA

Comment

Strange things happen in theses parts.

Some here even believed Kyle Orton was the next Messiah and Selvin Young was the next TD.

Broncos County baby! You gotta love it.

Comment

I remember a couple of years ago when Von had smoked some pot and got in trouble for it.. Oh my goodness ..people were going crazy..they were ready to ship him out on the next bus..Looks like to me it made him more focused..

Comment

Yeah whoever mentioned the 5-2 was right. It's a great set if you've great personal as it creates a lot of confusion as you can always send different blitzers. A good non sack example of that was von Miller interception on Brady.
                          You really need the personal though.

Comment

Anyone else remember how strong the opinions were about this team's playoff chances? Not just casual, or once-in-a-while posters, either. Regulars were shouting this emphatically, and telling anyone who disagreed with them that they were delusional, wearing orange colored glasses, etc. They said this team wasn't "playoff ready" and would "get embarrassed" after watching 5:00 into the 1st quarter of the Divisional Round.

Yeah...

People can't predict sports. Especially not fans, and especially not long-term.

Comment

Especially not fans? What about the "experts" they should be out of a job

Comment

Working...
                              X