Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone else remember how strong the opinion was on these boards we could not....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Houshmazode View Post
    The fact that we weren't a 3-4 under Del Rio was a joke. We had all the personnel for it, and probably would have been better than his 4-3.
    They pretty much played a 3-4 under Del Rio, his system is more of a 3-4 than what they're running now. Denver runs a 3-4 in name only now.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
      They pretty much played a 3-4 under Del Rio, his system is more of a 3-4 than what they're running now. Denver runs a 3-4 in name only now.
      Del Rio ran the 4-3, 5-2 and 3-4 with the 4-3 being ran slightly more than the 3-4
      :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Houshmazode View Post
        Del Rio ran the 4-3, 5-2 and 3-4 with the 4-3 being ran slightly more than the 3-4
        It was a defense that had 3 of the linemen 2 gapping, that's what a classic 3-4 defense does. The 3-4/4-3 debate is ridiculous, because the bigger issue is 1 gap or 2 gap. That and the base coverage shell along with aggressiveness are what define a defense. Almost every single defense is a hybrid now, very few play an actual classic 3-4, almost all of them mix and match.

Comment

It was a defense that had 3 of the linemen 2 gapping, that's what a classic 3-4 defense does. The 3-4/4-3 debate is ridiculous, because the bigger issue is 1 gap or 2 gap. That and the base coverage shell along with aggressiveness are what define a defense. Almost every single defense is a hybrid now, very few play an actual classic 3-4, almost all of them mix and match.
          Right. Del Rio ran mostly a two-gap split front. Wade's base looks more like the 50 and is one-gap run D. His nickel package is usually split front. They played some prevent pass rush in the AFCCG.

I thought DeMarcus and Von were better suited as OLBs in an odd front, and that Malik and Wolfe seemed more like 4/5 techs in an odd front.

Carolina's Option rushing attack probably works better against a two-gap/funnel run D than against Wade's gap control/spill run D.
          "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
            Right. Del Rio ran mostly a two-gap split front. Wade's base looks more like the 50 and is one-gap run D. His nickel package is usually split front. They played some prevent pass rush in the AFCCG.

I thought DeMarcus and Von were better suited as OLBs in an odd front, and that Malik and Wolfe seemed more like 4/5 techs in an odd front.

Carolina's Option rushing attack probably works better against a two-gap/funnel run D than against Wade's gap control/spill run D.
            Because of the way he runs it, I'd almost consider Phillips' defense more like a modified 40 under defense than a 3-4 defense. It's not really a fit for either but I just have trouble getting my head around a 30 front that doesn't play with a 0 technique that two gaps.

Comment

What's funny though is that in the classic 3-4 the defense is read and react. The d-linemen take on blocks and read the play looking to fall off into either gap if the play comes their way. This is a lot like how Del Rio used his 40 defense in Denver.

The Broncos "3-4" under Wade Phillips is a penetration single gap cancellation defense.

When you have a good line the 2 gap is a good defense, it leaves the backers free to make the plays. When you have a good line the 1 gap defense can be outstanding, it allows players to play football and make plays.

I personally prefer a 1 gap defense.
              Yes. Collier's 3-4 was derived from Bud Wilkinson's Oklahoma 50 which funneled runs to the middle. D-Line plays two gap run D. Conventional wisdom is it's a waste of time to run outside against this style of run D.

Wade's odd front plays run D similar to the 3-3-5 where each front defender plays a gap and runs are spilled to the sideline.

Comment

Because of the way he runs it, I'd almost consider Phillips' defense more like a modified 40 under defense than a 3-4 defense. It's not really a fit for either but I just have trouble getting my head around a 30 front that doesn't play with a 0 technique that two gaps.
                3-3-5 run D is often aligned 33 Stack. When reading run, those six guys fill the A-B-C Gaps while playside Corner, Bandit and a Safety pursue to the boundary. Backside cutback lane and ball depth are covered by the two remaining defenders.

Wade's odd front run D reminds me a lot of that, or the 4-2-5.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                  3-3-5 run D is often aligned 33 Stack. When reading run, those six guys fill the A-B-C Gaps while playside Corner, Bandit and a Safety pursue to the boundary. Backside cutback lane and ball depth are covered by the two remaining defenders.

Wade's odd front run D reminds me a lot of that, or the 4-2-5.
                  Good stuff, I've never actually seen a 3-3-5 in action, but now I've got some research to do!

Edit: Check that, I just realized that the Broncos DC before Del Rio (name slips my mind) ran a 3-3-5 nickel package at times, but that wasn't very good, so I'm going to go look at what one is actually supposed to look like.

Comment

Good stuff, I've never actually seen a 3-3-5 in action, but now I've got some research to do!

Edit: Check that, I just realized that the Broncos DC before Del Rio (name slips my mind) ran a 3-3-5 nickel package at times, but that wasn't very good, so I'm going to go look at what one is actually supposed to look like.
                    Dennis Allen...

Comment

Originally posted by osfantaztic View Post
                      Dennis Allen...
                      Right, I should have just googled "Raiders head coaches" since our DCs seem to go there after here.

Comment

Interesting to read the thread - when I was young all I thought about was the Orange Crush. I wasn't thinking about Joe Collier as the DC. Thinking of how much emphasis gets put on Von and Ware as the OLBs and rightfully deserved as they are such a powerful combination. Started looking up things on Joe Collier and found his quote:

"The nose tackle and the inside linebackers, those are three guys that are very important. But when you go through it, the nose tackle is probably the single-most important guy."

I need to go back and watch the Pitt, NE and SB50 to see the impact Sly/Kilgo had on these games.

Comment

San Diego State, Arizona and New Mexico run the 3-3-5. Joe Lee Dunn Invented it and Rocky Long learned it from him. Tulsa used to run it and that's where Dennis Allen learned it. The Saints ran a lot of 3-3-5 in Super Bowl XLIV.

Comment

Interesting to read the thread - when I was young all I thought about was the Orange Crush. I wasn't thinking about Joe Collier as the DC. Thinking of how much emphasis gets put on Von and Ware as the OLBs and rightfully deserved as they are such a powerful combination. Started looking up things on Joe Collier and found his quote:

"The nose tackle and the inside linebackers, those are three guys that are very important. But when you go through it, the nose tackle is probably the single-most important guy."

I need to go back and watch the Pitt, NE and SB50 to see the impact Sly/Kilgo had on these games.
                            In an odd front that plays two gap run D, the 0 tech must command a double. I don't think that's as necessary the way Wade plays it as one gap.

Comment

Maybe someone with more time will look for it and post it but looking at the video that was posted in the forums last year I do not think Wade runs any one specific kind of 3-4.

He talks about how he has to adjust his defense to the skills his players has.

I think all of Wades defenses have been a little different. I know the most about the 90s Broncos and now but even his Buff and SD defenses were different then what he is running now.

Do not even remember Wade running as much man coverage as he did in 2015.
                              Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Sly was probably our least impactful defender on the field...when they starters were playing.

He made impacts...just saying he was nothing special and other guys were better.
                                Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Working...
                                X