what did willie mcginest say?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what did willie mcginest say?

Does anyone know or have a link to the comments made by willie mcginest about Brock Osweiler?

Supposedly he made some comments yesterday afternoon (2-17-16) that has caused a stir.

Dont know if it was good or bad but the reaction by Ed Drotar was "not even those closest to Brock would make this statement".

Ed didnt disclose the comments because wanted his listeners to remain tuned into the station in suspense. Most likely nothing that extreme but id still like to know!
    Last edited by Sam_Z; 02-18-2016, 12:47 PM.
    sigpic

maybe this?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos...to-the-Broncos

a few minutes after the intro there Nate B & Willie go into a back and forth about Brock...

Comment

I've heard the team has stopped contract talks with him but don't know if that's what Willie was talking about. I can't imagine what else he would have to say that would be in context with someone feeling they need to say not even those closest to Brock would make that statement.

I would imagine that would be Brock saying he won't play for us for a dime under $15m. But again without having seen or heard it I have no clue. So I'm not being helpful.
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
        I've heard the team has stopped contract talks with him but don't know if that's what Willie was talking about. I can't imagine what else he would have to say that would be in context with someone feeling they need to say not even those closest to Brock would make that statement.

I would imagine that would be Brock saying he won't play for us for a dime under $15m. But again without having seen or heard it I have no clue. So I'm not being helpful.
        No team should ever pay a QB with 7 career starts $15 million per year, if Osweiler truly wants that and someone will pay him that, good luck and thanks for those 7 starts.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
          No team should ever pay a QB with 7 career starts $15 million per year, if Osweiler truly wants that and someone will pay him that, good luck and thanks for those 7 starts.
          Yeah anything over 10 million is too much Brock is still unproven player we don't how good he will end up being. If he wants 15 million a year I would say thanks but no thanks and let him walk.
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Chillez View Post
            Yeah anything over 10 million is too much Brock is still unproven player we don't how good he will end up being. If he wants 15 million a year I would say thanks but no thanks and let him walk.
            Even $10 million is way too high for his actual resume, 7 games is a small sample size, even Matt Cassel played well for 15 games. I'm thinking that Osweiler is going to get a massive pay day, and people on here will freak out that the Broncos didn't pay it, but based on what he's done so far, it's the right call.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
              Even $10 million is way too high for his actual resume, 7 games is a small sample size, even Matt Cassel played well for 15 games. I'm thinking that Osweiler is going to get a massive pay day, and people on here will freak out that the Broncos didn't pay it, but based on what he's done so far, it's the right call.
              Yeah that's true in some aspects 10 million is a lot.
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
                maybe this?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos...to-the-Broncos

a few minutes after the intro there Nate B & Willie go into a back and forth about Brock...
                Thanks rich. CP when I get to my pc.

I think that was it, McGinest says in that video that Brock Osweiler has all the tools to run Gary Kubiak offense and he specifically said mobility. I don't think any of us would agree that Brock Osweiler has the mobility to run Gary Kubiak offense.

No offense to Brock but I think mcginest took it a little overboard with that comment.
                Last edited by Sam_Z; 02-18-2016, 02:20 PM.
                sigpic

Comment

Guys keep in mind this is the same NFL where the Seahawks awarded Matt Flynn $20 million after 1 career start that was in week 17.

He has only started 7 games ever in the NFL and earned $20 million.

I don't think it's too far fetched to believe a team would pay Brock $15 mil+ for his 7 starts. That were better than Flynn's.

I mean contracts have only gotten worse. Tannehill has more experience than Brock but isn't worth the $16 mil a year he gets. Yet the Dolphins still gave it to him because that's what the NFL does now for starting QB's.

I don't think we should pay him that much. But don't be surprised if his agent thinks he can get that much elsewhere. So he would obviously ask Elway for that much.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
                    Thanks rich. CP when I get to my pc.

I think that was it, McGinest says in that video that Brock Osweiler has all the tools to run Gary Kubiak offense and he specifically said mobility. I don't think any of us would agree that Brock Osweiler has the mobility to run Gary Kubiak offense.

No offense to Brock but I think mcginest took it a little overboard with that comment.
                    I don't agree with you. There's different types of mobility.

Usually, when people speak of QB mobility they are envisioning Russell Wilson or Mike Vick, guys who make and extend plays with their legs, or who routinely throw on the run and can do so outside the pocket consistently. Certainly, Brock cannot do that as a routine part of his game. At most, you get a handful of seven yard runs up the middle if there's a lane to run in.

Putting aside all the other reasons people had, some people thought Brock would be the better option this year because his "mobility" would help mask a very bad o-line by extending plays, but of course that was a confused argument...what we needed was a QB who could shorten plays with quick decisions-- we did not have a QB on our roster who could "extend plays" in the way people were thinking.

But "mobility" in Kubiak's system means something else. The mobility in this sense is not about when plays break down, or even running very much. It's about "mobility by design" for bootlegs, rollouts, play action fakes, and just enough threat to run that you actually force the defense to contain the backside of runs instead of over-pursuing to one side...that in principle should make one defender in the box irrelevant

Certainly, I think Brock is mobile enough to run what Kubiak wants. It's not like Flacco or Schuab were that mobile. Even Peyton could boot and was almost at that level of mobility, but they are both statues for the purposes of pocket throwing.

The one area Brock needs to improve at with respect to "extending the play" is stepping up in the pocket. Those 1-2 seconds are critical for a vertical passing game and for the success of any pocket passer. This year, Brock tended to stand still or drift a bit side to side and made it even more difficult on the already-struggling tackles.

Having said that, I still don't think Kubiak's system is right for Brock. He has a big arm and can throw darts in that intermediate range (say 8-20 yards) rather consistently, and he is poised in the pocket. I don't think he executes the horizontal game very well. But I do agree with McGinest that he can run the system and that there's tons of value in just the mere fact that he does not need to be developed in the system or in NFL life in the way a rookie does.
                    Last edited by cmc0605; 02-18-2016, 02:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post

Bullet dodged... I was afraid we'd overpay him at the expense of our defensive stars. I've said all along that I'm not sold on Oz as a starter and really didnt want us to pay him starting qb money. Let it ride with Siemian, Elway! If it doesnt work out after a season, we will have a high draft pick that we can use to draft our franchise qb (next years qb class looks like it will be way better than this year's)

Comment

Can't they make a contract that is incentive based. Start him at 8 million a yr with chances to add to it.

Comment

I agree that 10 mill is too much money for seven starts!!

I keep saying Trevor will be our guy next year at a fraction of the price.

Plus he already has one year in Kubes O.

For those who have not read up on TS, here is a little of what he would bring to the table.

http://www.todayspigskin.com/afc-tod...revor-siemian/

Comment

Originally posted by hawaiiiancrush View Post

For those who have not read up on TS, here is a little of what he would bring to the table.

Please ! talk about Unproven ! Gimme a break with the TS love. Let's see him actually play in the pros for a couple of quarters before we anoint him the next Hall of Fame slot.

Comment

Originally posted by hawaiiiancrush View Post

Average QB in college, not drafted until round 7, played sparingly in the preseason and only with and against 3rd and 4th stringers. Would have gotten very very few reps in this system in practice during the season and spent the majority of that time running a scout O, trying to look like the other team's QB.

There is no chance he's ready to start in the NFL right now, they're looking at the 32nd best offense in the NFL next year if they choose him to be the starting QB. Although that won't happen because they'll bring in a veteran backup who will beat him out during TC, or will be used continuously to replace Seimian during games due to ineffectiveness during the season.

Comment

Working...
                              X