Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When it's said and done: Elway will be seen as greater GM or QB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When it's said and done: Elway will be seen as greater GM or QB?

The title says it all. I think he will be a HALL of Fame GM when it's all said and done. He's that good. Being a player and going through all the ups and downs, he knows what it takes to win in the NFL.

As a quarterback he had his highs but definitely did not begin with this kind of success. His GM resume

His first draft pick was just named Super Bowl MVP.

He lured the NFL's top FA in recent memory and the guy won his fifth NFL MVP.

He's been in the playoffs every year of his tenure and has been the winningest gm since he started with Denver. He's been to two superbowls and won once!

He has won the division every year of his tenure!

He fired Fox (took a lot of criticism for this due to Fox's win/loss record) and took on a coach who only won 2 playoff games and it paid off.

He won a playoff game with Tebow!

He put together an offense that went to the super bowl, and when that didn't work he got Ware, Talib, and Ward and built a defense (under the leadership of his Wade Phillips hire) that carried us to a Super Bowl win.

If you're looking at his first 5 years as quarterback it's not even close..

Discuss.

He certainly is a winner as both and he's been a great GM, no doubt.

Part of his problem is that he's a Denver Bronco. We tend to get overlooked by the media and the league for any and all rewards and accolades. I mean we are one of the winningest franchises and we only have 4 players in the HOF. The lowly Detroit Lions haven't even been to a single SB and they have 13 or 14 players in the HOF. We are still waiting on TD and Atwater to make it in to the HOF for Pete's sake.
    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

I think Elway is one of the best QBs all time.

Thing is when you hear people talk about best all time almost no one mentions Elway anymore.

I think the general public will remember Elway more as a GM then as a QB because I do not think he is done yet and he already have won the div every year as a GM, signed maybe the best free agent all time, his free agent signings have been masterful and his drafts have been pretty darn good.

Elway dropped a coach who won the div every year...not a easy move...got a new coach and was immediately proven right with a Championship.

And he is just getting started...
      Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by noflyzone23 View Post
        The title says it all. I think he will be a HALL of Fame GM when it's all said and done. He's that good. Being a player and going through all the ups and downs, he knows what it takes to win in the NFL.

As a quarterback he had his highs but definitely did not begin with this kind of success. His GM resume

His first draft pick was just named Super Bowl MVP.

He lured the NFL's top FA in recent memory and the guy won his fifth NFL MVP.

He's been in the playoffs every year of his tenure and has been the winningest gm since he started with Denver. He's been to two superbowls and won once!

He has won the division every year of his tenure!

He fired Fox (took a lot of criticism for this due to Fox's win/loss record) and took on a coach who only won 2 playoff games and it paid off.

He won a playoff game with Tebow!

He put together an offense that went to the super bowl, and when that didn't work he got Ware, Talib, and Ward and built a defense (under the leadership of his Wade Phillips hire) that carried us to a Super Bowl win.

If you're looking at his first 5 years as quarterback it's not even close..

Discuss.
        A very interesting question. First, I know I am biased, but I do think Elway is the best qb to ever play the game. However, as great as he was, he couldn't control the players or coaches around him. That's why Madden called him a one man gang. As a GM, he has far more power to form the team exactly as he wants.

The way he transformed this team in only two years was truly remarkable. He is clearly already one of the top GMs in the game even though he's only been on the job a few years. Can he be one of the best GMs ever? Yes. I think it comes down to how long he wants to keep doing this. We all know the competitive fire that is inside him. He wants to be great at everything he does. I think if he brings two more Lombardi trophies to Denver he can easily be called one of the best GMs of all time. I hope he's here as long as he wants to be.

Comment

I think the answer to that question is going to depend on how many more championships he has in him. If he gets 2-3 rings as a GM, I'd say he'll blow his QB career out of the water.
          sigpic

Comment

Good thread. Lots of Elway love going around, and rightfully so. One reason I jumped on board the Broncos bandwagon when I moved here was because of how good of an owner Bowlen was. I was afraid that when Pat was gone, the integrity of the team would decline, and I would be more of a fence-sitter fan, based on whether the Broncos were good or not. With Elway here, I'll stick with the team because I believe Elway will make the smartest moves to bring the team success.

I can't chime in, since I wasn't a fan during the Elway years...however, I recognize he was definitely one of the best QB's ever. He's trending towards being one of the best GM's I've witnessed. I can't say one way or the other...I just like where this is going!

Comment

both, but defiantly as a QB

simply because, in no order:

1. the way he retired and went out + championships on the field. he actually did them, physically.

2. you can see highlight tapes of the drive, you can't see him sealing the deal with von miller's agent on youtube and if you could, it's not that exciting.

Comment

Ole' #7 has been my hero for about 35 years!!! And Now he is BIGGER THAN LIFE ITSELF!!!!
                What a fantastic job he has done for the Broncos, I am very proud of him.

Comment

His very first act as a GM was to sign Champ Bailey to an extension. Elway understood what Champ meant to the team and to the fans. When he made that move he said that he wanted to show the fans that he understood what the fans had gone through the past few years and he wanted to show to the fans that he wanted to bring credibility back to the organization. He also told us fans that by signing Champ, he wanted us to trust him; meaning Elway. He wanted to show that he was acting in good faith as a GM and that he was going to do what was needed to make the Denver Broncos the elite organization it once was before McDaniels took over and ran us into the ground.

Thanks Elway for doing that. My heart and faith was restored when Elway made Champ Bailey the face of the Denver Broncos. It was a brilliant move.

On a side note, my heart hurts that Champ never got the ring.

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
                    He certainly is a winner as both and he's been a great GM, no doubt.

Part of his problem is that he's a Denver Bronco. We tend to get overlooked by the media and the league for any and all rewards and accolades. I mean we are one of the winningest franchises and we only have 4 players in the HOF. The lowly Detroit Lions haven't even been to a single SB and they have 13 or 14 players in the HOF. We are still waiting on TD and Atwater to make it in to the HOF for Pete's sake.
                    The Lions isn't the best example for your case. They had a 30 yr jump on the Broncos and won FOUR National Championships (the equivalent of the "Superbowl") before the Broncos even existed! Many of their HOF'ers are coaches and players from that distant era.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

Can we get a poll added to this?
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LynchMobster View Post
                        The Lions isn't the best example for your case. They had a 30 yr jump on the Broncos and won FOUR National Championships (the equivalent of the "Superbowl") before the Broncos even existed! Many of their HOF'ers are coaches and players from that distant era.
                        Good to know Dr. Lynch. I still stand by my case that Elway will get over looked because he's a Bronco, just like TD and Atwater will.

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
                          His very first act as a GM was to sign Champ Bailey to an extension. Elway understood what Champ meant to the team and to the fans. When he made that move he said that he wanted to show the fans that he understood what the fans had gone through the past few years and he wanted to show to the fans that he wanted to bring credibility back to the organization. He also told us fans that by signing Champ, he wanted us to trust him; meaning Elway. He wanted to show that he was acting in good faith as a GM and that he was going to do what was needed to make the Denver Broncos the elite organization it once was before McDaniels took over and ran us into the ground.

Thanks Elway for doing that. My heart and faith was restored when Elway made Champ Bailey the face of the Denver Broncos. It was a brilliant move.

On a side note, my heart hurts that Champ never got the ring.
                          Great example. It's been integrity since day one. It baffles me why people are rushing Elway to cut Manning. That simply isn't Elway's style. Yes, he'll end up doing what's best for the team, but not at the expense of losing trust of those he works with and for, which is very, very rare anywhere you go.

Comment

Originally posted by JerseyAdam View Post
                            both, but defiantly as a QB

simply because, in no order:

1. the way he retired and went out + championships on the field. he actually did them, physically.

2. you can see highlight tapes of the drive, you can't see him sealing the deal with von miller's agent on youtube and if you could, it's not that exciting.
                            I'm not asking if you prefer him as a QB over GM. Although that could be an interesting debate. I actually wouldn't mind watching highlights of all his top signings

I'm asking, in context, do you think he will be a considered a greater GM (when compared to other GMS in history) than he is a Quarterback (when compared to other quarterbacks in history). I think we can safely say he is a top 5 quarterback all time.

Perhaps he will be considered the greatest GM of all time at this rate?

Comment

Originally posted by TheManningMelon View Post
                              Great example. It's been integrity since day one. It baffles me why people are rushing Elway to cut Manning. That simply isn't Elway's style. Yes, he'll end up doing what's best for the team, but not at the expense of losing trust of those he works with and for, which is very, very rare anywhere you go.
                              Agreed. Elway has done a great job with balancing the business side of things while maintaining the utmost class and professionalism when dealing with his players/staff.

Comment

Working...
                              X