Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When it's said and done: Elway will be seen as greater GM or QB?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
    Good to know Dr. Lynch. I still stand by my case that Elway will get over looked because he's a Bronco, just like TD and Atwater will.
    Elway is in the HOF already, he's one of the four (technically there's six, two who played for the Broncos but are primarily counted with other teams, like ex-Cowboy and Bronco Tony Dorsett).

I'm looking through the list right now trying to find a better example. The only ones which would be fair are other former AFL teams also founded circa 1960 or after. The P*triots also have only 4 primary players in there, BTW.

Superbowl 50 MVP Von Miller on February 7th, 2016

Comment

My favorite athlete of all time (followed by Dr J and the Babe) I consider him the GOAT as QB for his physical accomplishments, impossible Q4 comebacks, leadership ability to make average teams great, The Drive, The Drive II, AFC conference championships, SB victories, retiring as SB MVP and of course his 11 - 0 record against the pats...just had to throw that in there

As far as GOAT GM, what he's accomplished since taking over has been absolutely incredible. But honestly, I don't really know what other GM's to compare him to? I never really paid much attention to NFL front office personnel until Elway got the job...who would people say is his competition for the title of GOAT GM?
      "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
      PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
      LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis.1960 View Post
        My favorite athlete of all time (followed by Dr J and the Babe) I consider him the GOAT as QB for his physical accomplishments, impossible Q4 comebacks, leadership ability to make average teams great, The Drive, The Drive II, AFC conference championships, SB victories, retiring as SB MVP and of course his 11 - 0 record against the pats...just had to throw that in there

As far as GOAT GM, what he's accomplished since taking over has been absolutely incredible. But honestly, I don't really know what other GM's to compare him to? I never really paid much attention to NFL front office personnel until Elway got the job...who would people say is his competition for the title of GOAT GM?
        I think some might say Ozzie Newsome or Bill Belicheck
        Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
          I think some might say Ozzie Newsome or Bill Belicheck
          What, not Jerry Jones?

Comment

I would say Belichick (drafting Brady, not overpaying, 6 super bowl appearances and 4 wins).. has the set bar for front office decisions. He basically laid out the blueprint for how to succeed in a salary cap restricted league. Nearly every team in the NFL (including the Broncos, at first) is trying to copy him.

While Belicheck has shown how to build a yearly contender from having a great qb, John Schneider from the Seahawks has shown you can winw/a great defense and solid qb play.

Ozzie Newsome from the Ravens has a similar formula as Elway by getting free agents, developing draft picks, and winning championships from defense.

Polian is the only Hall of Fame GM I can think of. He led the bill to their 4 super bowl appearances, led the expansion carolina panthers for a while, and of course got the super bowl ring with Manning.

I think what separates Elway from all of them right now is he has had sustained success from the very beginning and has only gotten better. Nearly all of his moves have panned out. Although Belichick didn't have front office control in Cleveland so I'm not sure how much of his failure there you can hold against him.
            Last edited by noflyzone23; 02-23-2016, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dennis.1960 View Post
              If Elway can sustain his "GM EXCELLENCE" for another 10-15 years I think it would mean he was more successful as a GM than he was even as a quarterback. Even a couple more super bowl victories early would make you seriously consider it.

Comment

Originally posted by noflyzone23 View Post
                I would say Belichick (drafting Brady, not overpaying, 6 super bowl appearances and 4 wins).. has the set bar for front office decisions. He basically laid out the blueprint for how to succeed in a salary cap restricted league. Nearly every team in the NFL (including the Broncos, at first) is trying to copy him. ....
                Until Belichick has the same success without Brady, I'm not quite buying into this. I wonder what it would've been like had Elway was 10 years younger with the team that won the SB. Could Shanny have had many more SB contentions/wins? Possibly. Although I agree that Bellichik has done well with cap space and getting in guys who either over-perform or at least live up to what was expected, I'd argue so has Elway (in the GM capacity). Elway's first year was with a patched team from the Little Hoodie debacle, and they still managed their way into the playoffs. They did it again last year, even with a hobbled defense and a meh Manning. And, they iced it with a Manning who was more like Flacco on a bad day this year. Of course we'll have to see how this plays out, but all indicators are good.

Bellichik without Brady...hmm....

Comment

Originally posted by TheManningMelon View Post
                  Until Belichick has the same success without Brady, I'm not quite buying into this. I wonder what it would've been like had Elway was 10 years younger with the team that won the SB. Could Shanny have had many more SB contentions/wins? Possibly.
                  I think with a 10 yr younger Elway the Shanahan/Elway combo could have equaled what the Belicheck/Brady combo has done...in other words, remain in the discussion of top AFC teams and make multiple SB appearances over many years. Look how many years Shanahan's 1st 20 scripted play strategy and ability to put almost anyone in the backfield and churn out 1000 yrd rushers remained effective after Elway's last SB. I think we definitely could have bagged more SB's between '99 and '05.

OTOH, would a 28 yr old Elway have accepted the run first strategy and dink-and-dunk west coast offense as compared to being the strongest cannon armed gunslinger the league had ever seen? We'll never know

Then again, I always wonder how many SB's Elway would have bagged in the 80's if the Broncos had Bill Walsh rather than Dan Reeves behind the controls
                  Last edited by Dennis.1960; 02-23-2016, 12:48 PM.
                  "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
                  PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
                  LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

It will be said that John Elway was the greatest football competitor who ever lived. He excelled on and off the field. Never gave up, and had no tolerance for not going down kicking and screaming. He makes the Denver Broncos the best franchise in the NFL. His legacy will be based on wins in total by a player and a GM. There is no other man I would rather have leading this team. We have been blessed to have him for decades already, and I thank him for a lifetime of Bronco Dominance. The only years I ever felt like we couldn't go to a Superbowl were the years that he was absent.

At least it's how it'll be told in my house for the rest of time.
                    2016 GM for the Buffalo Bills.

Comment

#7 has been in 7 SB's as GM or QB.
                      He's in the discussion for GOAT of QB... but needs to win another SB with another QB to get up to that level on GM.
                      Glad he's on our side.
                      sigpicWe da Champs... you da Chumps.
                      Super Bowl XXXII, XXXIII and 50 Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                        I think Elway is one of the best QBs all time.

Thing is when you hear people talk about best all time almost no one mentions Elway anymore.

I think the general public will remember Elway more as a GM then as a QB because I do not think he is done yet and he already have won the div every year as a GM, signed maybe the best free agent all time, his free agent signings have been masterful and his drafts have been pretty darn good.

Elway dropped a coach who won the div every year...not a easy move...got a new coach and was immediately proven right with a Championship.

And he is just getting started...
                        Actually here in philadelphia all the major radio jocks have elway rated anywhere from 1 to 3 all time. The topic comes up alot and his name is without hesitation always brought up in the goat topics here in philly.

Comment

He's already a HOF QB. It would take a very productive and a very long career at the GM position to do that. It's not impossible but I'd say it's way too far off to even consider at this point.
                          Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

Elway is already on Mount Rushmore of greatest QB of all time or at least close to it. I think he will prove in time to be one best GM's in recent memory he is already off to terrific start.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X