Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is John Elway going to set a precedent, going forward?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is John Elway going to set a precedent, going forward?

For the past decade or so, NFL Quarterbacks have had a ton of leverage at the negotiating table. The league went from a running/defense style to a "QBs league" with "newer" guys like Rodgers and Brees carrying teams to SBs with a different style than we were accustomed to seeing.

The contracts reached a new point when an above average QB like Joe Flacco got hot for a playoff run and received a contract that paid him like an elite-level quarterback.

It has become accepted that a QB is going to get paid very well, simply due to position, regardless of talent, as long as he's young enough or has shown any flashes. In Osweiler's case, he ranked poorly in virtually every metric, this season, yet was expected to receive a massive deal from the Broncos.

Is Elway going to set a precedent for front offices not caving in on giving deals to unproven players that haven't shown enough? From what we've seen in sports throughout the years, it only takes 1 person to set the tone.

He would give a deal if the QB was worth it, guessing Brock was not. Overpaying any player is bad for business...
    Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

Originally posted by HarlemHeat View Post
      For the past decade or so, NFL Quarterbacks have had a ton of leverage at the negotiating table. The league went from a running/defense style to a "QBs league" with "newer" guys like Rodgers and Brees carrying teams to SBs with a different style than we were accustomed to seeing.

The contracts reached a new point when an above average QB like Joe Flacco got hot for a playoff run and received a contract that paid him like an elite-level quarterback.

It has become accepted that a QB is going to get paid very well, simply due to position, regardless of talent, as long as he's young enough or has shown any flashes. In Osweiler's case, he ranked poorly in virtually every metric, this season, yet was expected to receive a massive deal from the Broncos.

Is Elway going to set a precedent for front offices not caving in on giving deals to unproven players that haven't shown enough? From what we've seen in sports throughout the years, it only takes 1 person to set the tone.
      That and maybe just truly did not believe Brock was the qb of the future despite some patting on the back throughout the last few years. Who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by MHSalute View Post
        He would give a deal if the QB was worth it, guessing Brock was not. Overpaying any player is bad for business...
        That's what is post's point was. That most cave in to overpaying qbs, but John did not.

Comment

Originally posted by MHSalute View Post
          That's part of my point, though.

The media kept assuming that it was a given that Elway was going to match any offer, simply because Brock plays the QB position and it's essential for any team.

Osweiler ranked poorly in virtually every metric that measures QBs, this past season. Even with that, he still had a bunch of leverage, simply because he's a QB and relatively young. It's not like he had a great season or showed massive potential, he really didn't.

Comment

Yeah, I'm starting to feel this too. I like Oz, but there is some logic to the idea that if Elway, one of the greatest NFL QBs ever, sets a price on a QB, and doesn't go higher, then maybe he knows he isn't worth more than that.
            Personal goals: GOAL WEIGHT = 250lbs
            Weight loss needed for FGW = 120 lbs
            Weight lost so far: - 24 lbs

Comment

I don't think so for two reasons.

One, we were still willing to pay $16 million.

Two, somebody still handed out the contract.

I don't think any message was sent.

Comment

Originally posted by BRich View Post
                I don't think so for two reasons.

One, we were still willing to pay $16 million.

Two, somebody still handed out the contract.

I don't think any message was sent.
                Well, to be fair, the team that handed out the contract is one of the 3 worst organizations in the NFL.

Comment

Can you imagine trying to get a deal on a Buick from this guy?

Comment

That's part of my point, though.

The media kept assuming that it was a given that Elway was going to match any offer, simply because Brock plays the QB position and it's essential for any team.

Osweiler ranked poorly in virtually every metric that measures QBs, this past season. Even with that, he still had a bunch of leverage, simply because he's a QB and relatively young. It's not like he had a great season or showed massive potential, he really didn't.
                    Which is a good lesson: never believe HALF of what the media says. Talking heads are worried about THEIR jobs, not team rosters, team/player standings, player performance, etc., except that it gives them something to talk about.

Unless I misread something somewhere, Brock made up his mind some time ago. A 3-yr/$45 million contract was put on the table and, for the next 9 days, nothing was heard from Brock or his agent. The first indication of any consideration on their part was the report that Brock is signing with the Texans. He and his agent (from what we know, there could be a lot behind the scenes that we don't know) never tried to negotiate the contract John put forward.
                    --I have 2 favorite teams - #1 Broncos, #2 whoever is playing against Dallas.

Comment

Originally posted by diesel51 View Post
                      Yeah, I'm starting to feel this too. I like Oz, but there is some logic to the idea that if Elway, one of the greatest NFL QBs ever, sets a price on a QB, and doesn't go higher, then maybe he knows he isn't worth more than that.
                      Oz was drafted to back Peyton up..thats it.. He was NEVER going to be the future.. yeah ok he won a few games AND???? Os is a decent QB but he is NOT a Kubiak type of QB.. scouring the net Elway says hes always liked Kaep..ok and???? Look the Peyton landing was a once in a lifetime opportunity ..posters have said themselves that good QB's don't get released .. Y'all have a diamond in the rough and that's Seiman.. Kaep may come ok but it doesn't mean because Elway says hes always liked him hes going to stick w/ him for an era..

Comment

Well, to be fair, the team that handed out the contract is one of the 3 worst organizations in the NFL.
                        No there not.. the Texans made the playoffs and won their division..Dont dull it down because Os picked them.. that's not right or the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Grandpa View Post
                          Which is a good lesson: never believe HALF of what the media says. Talking heads are worried about THEIR jobs, not team rosters, team/player standings, player performance, etc., except that it gives them something to talk about.

Unless I misread something somewhere, Brock made up his mind some time ago. A 3-yr/$45 million contract was put on the table and, for the next 9 days, nothing was heard from Brock or his agent. The first indication of any consideration on their part was the report that Brock is signing with the Texans. He and his agent (from what we know, there could be a lot behind the scenes that we don't know) never tried to negotiate the contract John put forward.
                          He had the chance to make money and had the chance to put his own mark on a team.. He cant be hated for that.

Comment

I think Brock was offered 16 Million a year + 30 million guaranteed....that's a pretty damn good deal for a guy whose played 7 games and in those 7 games run a pretty standard/sub-par offense. I'd bet if Osweiler wanted to stay in Denver, with that offer, he stays in Denver. Brock got his butt hurt when he got benched in the SD game and never got over it. He was going to leave pretty much no matter what they paid him.
                            sigpic

Adopted by: Andrewmlb :thumb:
                            Sig by: MHS

Comment

The Texans are one of the three worst organizations? Had not realized that.

I actually think they may be on the rise. Their defense is top 5 and the offense may have just improved enough with Osweiler and Miller to challenge for a home field playoff game.

Broncos may be lucky to even make the playoffs. Elway has a lot of work to do to fill the holes on both sides of the ball.

Comment

Working...
                              X