Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So Why Weren't They All Just Simply Extended???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So Why Weren't They All Just Simply Extended???

After we extended Wolfe during the season for a lot less then letting him hit the open market I expected we'd do the same with the majority of our other key upcoming free agents.

Why the HELL didn't Elway do the same with everyone else is my question?

Per Malik Jackson:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...nothing/38829/

“I think the Broncos are kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place,” Jackson said. “They could have gotten me done, they could have got Danny done, the could have got Brock done for (next) to nothing and now we’ve all branched out…I don’t know what they’re doing. I know they let go a lot of key players but I know that defense is still going to be stout and I can’t wait to see them in the season when they come here.”

If only it were that simple....

We tried working on an extension with Oz prior to last season but it never got done....there is lots of speculation as to why but I imagine it was Brock's agent figuring his worth would be increasing so he could do better if he waited.

Bottome line is, if the player and the players' agent think their value will increase by waiting and the player's primary motivation is getting paid as much as possible, extending them is difficult.

Wolfe's agent likely told him that he could probably get more if he did not extend and waited, but he obviously weighed other factors and determined that extending was the best thing for him. Same thing with CHJ. They would have commanded more on the open market, but they decided not to do it.

It's not like there is a button that Elway pushes that automatically extends a contract. These things are so much more complicated than you apparently give them credit for.

Comment

Originally posted by 4th Amigo View Post
      If only it were that simple....

We tried working on an extension with Oz prior to last season but it never got done....there is lots of speculation as to why but I imagine it was Brock's agent figuring his worth would be increasing so he could do better if he waited.

Bottome line is, if the player and the players' agent think their value will increase by waiting and the player's primary motivation is getting paid as much as possible, extending them is difficult.

Wolfe's agent likely told him that he could probably get more if he did not extend and waited, but he obviously weighed other factors and determined that extending was the best thing for him. Same thing with CHJ. They would have commanded more on the open market, but they decided not to do it.

It's not like there is a button that Elway pushes that automatically extends a contract. These things are so much more complicated than you apparently give them credit for.
      Exactly, if they want to stay they will, if they want money they will go for that. Its like Elway said we want players who want to be here. that tells me they did try and extend to those guys but they bailed anyways.
      sigpic
      BCMB Div I - AB's Etsy Shop | BCMB FF Smackdown - Cold Feet

Comment

If you were Brock and you had one of the best defenses ever and you taking the team into the playoffs and had a pretty good chance of beating everybody and winning the SB and it was your contract year, would you sign early and miss out on having leverage for the max money you can get? THAT is why.

Also, some agents know how to work the system, like Brock's (Sexton).

In general, if you are a team that is just coming off a SB win, and it was your second SB in two years I'd say you will probably get paid in Free Agency.
        ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        My new favorite Bronco - KJ Hamler Guy plays inspiring football!.

Comment

MJ and Trev should have been extended a year early, but Elway does not seem to want to lose that last cheap year. If he had I think we would have been looking at 8-9M for MJ max and 4-5 for Trev. This is the one area I think Elway needs to change his approach, what he is saving on that 4th year of rookie deals is not close to what he could save on early extensions.
          Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

At the end of the 2014 season, after seeing Peyton banged up and his performance wane down the stretch, if Elway extended Brock for 2 years at (say) $8 mil. a year, he would be sitting pretty now. It is a valid question to ask regarding the QB position because Brock would have had no inkling that he would be able to start 7 games in 2015.

Malik Jackson and Trevathan, I doubt would have taken something without testing the market. Peyton's retirement, however, was something that would not have been anticipated since Peyton was under contract through 2016. That is why I feel Elway should have gotten Brock easily. That was a botched job by Elway, IMO.

Comment

So, take this for what it's worth. I have talked to some former players about this and one thing that keeps coming up, especially under the Shanny era is that if you were extended some players tend to relax a little. When you are in your contract year you tend to ball out so you can garner interest from multiple teams and get paid. Maybe having these players hungry in a contract year was a factor in the Super Bowl run. Maybe if they get paid earlier, they aren't as hungry and that may or may not cost them a Super Bowl run. Again, just what I heard, no stats are anything concrete to back that up, just simple conversation.

Comment

Originally posted by Bronco51 View Post
                So, take this for what it's worth. I have talked to some former players about this and one thing that keeps coming up, especially under the Shanny era is that if you were extended some players tend to relax a little. When you are in your contract year you tend to ball out so you can garner interest from multiple teams and get paid. Maybe having these players hungry in a contract year was a factor in the Super Bowl run. Maybe if they get paid earlier, they aren't as hungry and that may or may not cost them a Super Bowl run. Again, just what I heard, no stats are anything concrete to back that up, just simple conversation.
                That is why you extend just the head of the snake (DC Gregg Williams referenced), the QB, and not the others
                Last edited by chad72; 03-11-2016, 09:30 AM.

Comment

Those guys were not all staying for a combined less than 15 mil. You're being naive to think this is on Elway for not getting it done during the season.

Malik would not have re-signed in say December for 3m/yr when he knew he had a good chance of getting 15/yr alone in free agency. His contract alone would eat up our entire cap space.

People need to stop kidding themselves. These guys were all leaving period because they all wanted to get paid. Not because Elway refused to pay them. But because we didn't have the money to do it.

News flash- If we paid Malik Jackson 15M/yr like Jacksonville did Von Miller would be a Raider or a Jaguar today.

Who are you taking out of those two? I'm taking Von and so did Elway.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Mel B. View Post
                    Because it's not up to Elway.

Comment

Originally posted by MHSalute View Post
                      MJ and Trev should have been extended a year early, but Elway does not seem to want to lose that last cheap year. If he had I think we would have been looking at 8-9M for MJ max and 4-5 for Trev. This is the one area I think Elway needs to change his approach, what he is saving on that 4th year of rookie deals is not close to what he could save on early extensions.
                      Love when you pretend to think you know what's going on. Lol. You don't know if he tried. It takes two you know.

Comment

Originally posted by chad72 View Post
                        That is why you extend just the head of the snake, the QB, and not the others
                        Maybe he should have extended Brock 2 years ago, that is a fair criticism. But, it's awfully easy to sit here now with the benefit of hindsight and say that. Besides, Peyton's performance "wane" down the stretch in 2014 was thought to have as much to do with injury as it was age, if not more. Besides, under your extension proposal above we would have sunk an extra 3.5 million into a backup QB for no good reason (at the time). Again, it makes tons of sense to look back on it now and say "he should have done this", but without the benefit of hindsight it is illogical. Especially if you consider that Elway has large doubts about Brock's ability to be a franchise level QB....

Comment

Repeat after me... "Can't keep everyone."

It's the reality of winning a Lombardi.
                          "Mike Harden, meet Steve Largent." KA-BOOM!!

Comment

Originally posted by Mel B. View Post
                            After we extended Wolfe during the season for a lot less then letting him hit the open market I expected we'd do the same with the majority of our other key upcoming free agents.

Per Malik Jackson:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...nothing/38829/

“I think the Broncos are kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place,” Jackson said. “They could have gotten me done, they could have got Danny done, the could have got Brock done for (next) to nothing and now we’ve all branched out…I don’t know what they’re doing. I know they let go a lot of key players but I know that defense is still going to be stout and I can’t wait to see them in the season when they come here.”
                            There are 2 sides to these negotiations. CHJ was coming off an ACL injury, and Wolfe has had injury problems and a suspension. There was a certain amount of risk in extending both players, and it offered a little leverage to Elway. With Malik, no such leverage, and I honestly believe he was hell bent on testing the market. Good for him. Elway tried to get Osweiler done earlier, and it just didn't happen. Why? I honestly believe the Broncos are not sold on Os, and they have put his value lower than he and his agent has it, throughout the process. We'll see who was more correct. As for Trev...not sure. Would've liked to have him back. Guess the front office feels he's very replaceable and doesn't want to overspend at ILB

Comment

Also for anyone asking why Elway didn't extend Malik a year ago. You are all aware Malik was a backup who didn't produce much prior to this year right? Why would any owner extend a backup prior to actually producing? That's not good business.

A year ago Elway was probably leaning towards cutting Malik this year before Wade came in.

Brock showed nothing to deserve a contract prior to this year either.

Danny T is really the only free agent I'm disappointed to lose. He has been a stud from day one. That deal could've been done sooner.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X