Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So Why Weren't They All Just Simply Extended???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's very easy for Malik to make statements like that in hindsight. For all we know, even if Broncos did approach him during the season, he and his agent would have said they wanted to wait.
    sigpic

Comment

Just stop.

Jackson spicifficly said he needed to feed his family. With remarks like that he's playing for who ever opens their pockets the most.

You can't give everyone huge inflated contracts and I guess to Malik, brocks new 72m contract is "next to nothing"

These guys have zero knowledge of the bussines side of football. I can bet they also have zero idea of what a salary cap implications are as well.

Comment

I was listening to the update on NFL radio when Malik's interview said he really likes the direction of Jacksonville and the city... blah, blah, blah and the announcer had to chuckle on air. Come on... Does he want us to believe that we could have had him for "next to nothing" and that has what to do with hi obvious huge pay day that he got after one good year. It was obvious in the 2 weeks leading up to the SB that Wolfe, Miller and Ware were the group in all the interviews together that they are the core. This was Jackson's first year as a starter in the best D in the NFL and he had a good season - do we really think he would have taken the deal that we gave Wolfe (who I think is a better player) or Harris? It is reported that Brock wasn't even returning phone calls after the desperate Houston Texans got it in his head that 70+ was his worth for a few games. I think Danny would have taken an extension, but I am hoping that Marshall will get one and we have other ILB and if you really look at it all the big money ILB FA signings get dumped a year or 2 later when real needs rise.

I find it hard to believe that we should have done these deals last year to keep Jacksons, Brock and Tevathan. Danny was coming off injuries all year, Malik played half the snaps (maybe) at average or slightly above average, and Brock hadn't played. Guys like Harris and Wolfe came to the table wanting to resign and wanting to be Broncos - I think Elway has been clear on this. This is a business and locking guys in after one year or because we feel we have to is why the Raiders were bad all those years and why the Cowboys/Redskins/Chargers are now. The up and coming teams didn't get there by overpaying on FA or their own guys (Seattle, KC, Arizona, Patriots, Steelers).

Comment

Originally posted by Mel B. View Post
          After we extended Wolfe during the season for a lot less then letting him hit the open market I expected we'd do the same with the majority of our other key upcoming free agents.

Why the HELL didn't Elway do the same with everyone else is my question?

Per Malik Jackson:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...nothing/38829/

“I think the Broncos are kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place,” Jackson said. “They could have gotten me done, they could have got Danny done, the could have got Brock done for (next) to nothing and now we’ve all branched out…I don’t know what they’re doing. I know they let go a lot of key players but I know that defense is still going to be stout and I can’t wait to see them in the season when they come here.”
          When Malik manages teams to the Super Bowl and championships, I'll value his comments on matters like this.

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
            Also for anyone asking why Elway didn't extend Malik a year ago. You are all aware Malik was a backup who didn't produce much prior to this year right? Why would any owner extend a backup prior to actually producing? That's not good business.

A year ago Elway was probably leaning towards cutting Malik this year before Wade came in.

Brock showed nothing to deserve a contract prior to this year either.

Danny T is really the only free agent I'm disappointed to lose. He has been a stud from day one. That deal could've been done sooner.
            All of this. I am disappointed about Trevathan as well, but for two years we have seen stellar depth at ILB. We can't pay $7, or even $5 when we have two backups capable of providing nearly the same skill set. You don't develop depth for injuries, you develop depth for salary cap reasons.

Comment

Here's the deal:
              I guarantee Elway approached every single one of these guys with an extension offer that they turned down.

Jackson was always mentioned as second fiddle to Wolfe this past year, and third fiddle to him (even after the "illness") and Knighton the year before. He wanted to go somewhere (like Jacksonville) where he would be a D line star and get paid like one.

What everyone is forgetting with Trevathan is he came off a season where he had THREE...THREE injuries to the same leg. Maybe Elway never offered him an extension at all last preseason because who knew if the guy could even play with a freaking cadaver knee cap!

Everyone does realize this type of thing has happened ever since free agency became a thing right? The only difference is that now there is so much media coverage on the off season that now all the fans actually know what's going on. The end result is still the same.

I remember a time when, unless you actually lived in the host city, you had no idea how the final roster looked until you watched the first game...teams still managed to win Super Bowls then too...even when their fans didn't know enough to be happy/upset with off season acquisitions...

Comment

Jeez people act like they never herd of Willie McGinest, Larry Brown, Scott Mitchell, Matt Flynn...I am at work but the list is huge of guys who made a name for themselves on a winning team and then went to another team to get paid.

It is called a salary cap...can not pay everyone a huge contract

We have signed Wolfe, DT, Harris, Clady as our own. We have signed Ware, PM, TJ away from other teams.

It is impossible to get everyone and people need a reality check if they think other wise.

Some guys want to get paid no matter what.
                Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

One thing we all need to look at is the losses the Seahawks have had each year since they won in 2014. Starters on every side of the ball that were key pieces to that SuperBowl. How many have turned into studs on their new team? It is part of winning, good thing is we have a ton of young depth and a FO that loves to win SBs, not just games.

Comment

Apparantly, mathamatics wasnt one of Malik Jacksons strong points in college.

Comment

I believe that when you extend a player during a playing year there is cap ramifications for that current year for that player. We did not have much money in cap space until Manning retired, Vasquez and Daniels was cut. I don't think we could have extended anyone until the NFL year end.

I may be wrong and JohnT would be a better source on those manners.

I don't think you can spend money you don't have.
                      sigpic
                      Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
                      2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
                      2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Comment

- There was no cause to extend Malik last offseason because up until this season he was mostly just a serviceable player. By the time the Broncos realized his worth Malik made it clear he was going to test the open market.

- Trevathan was never a cornerstone of this defense and it was clear the Broncos were fine letting him go via free agency.

- The Broncos tried to get Brock extended during training camp but word was he wanted to wait to see Manning's future with the team. I think being benched versus San Diego, as well as the chance to "start clean", sort of speak, was more than enough to entice Brock to take the Houston deal.

So yeah, Malik isn't really speaking of great knowledge with his statements. I will say that the one thing Elway probably should have done is extend Von Miller last year so he could have saved the franchise tag. But even then it was made apparent that they didn't think Malik or Brock were worth franchise money at this time.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by sheenabobeena View Post
                          It's very easy for Malik to make statements like that in hindsight. For all we know, even if Broncos did approach him during the season, he and his agent would have said they wanted to wait.
                          I believe there were reports in December or January that the Broncos offered Jackson a contract identical to Wolfe's contract (might of been before they signed Wolfe) but that Jackson refused because he wanted to see what he was worth on the open market.

http://www.milehighreport.com/2016/2...er-he-received

Comment

Malik made it clear he was looking for salary to take "care of his family" and Osweiler would have signed an extension if he wanted to stay. They both got what they were looking for and being a bronco wasn't their first goal. I suppose as a player you only have so much time to make your money, but I would stay where I could win too, Jacksonville isn't that place at all and Texas has question marks.

Comment

Originally posted by Mel B. View Post
                              After we extended Wolfe during the season for a lot less then letting him hit the open market I expected we'd do the same with the majority of our other key upcoming free agents.

Why the HELL didn't Elway do the same with everyone else is my question?

Per Malik Jackson:

http://blogs.denverpost.com/broncos/...nothing/38829/

“I think the Broncos are kind of stuck between a rock and a hard place,” Jackson said. “They could have gotten me done, they could have got Danny done, the could have got Brock done for (next) to nothing and now we’ve all branched out…I don’t know what they’re doing. I know they let go a lot of key players but I know that defense is still going to be stout and I can’t wait to see them in the season when they come here.”
                              Except I dont buy for a moment we could have extended everyone without paying through the nose.
                              sigpic

Comment

Cuz there's a salary cap... DUH!
                                :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X