Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many QB's WANT to play in Kubiak's offense?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chrissy View Post
    Oh ..I didn't know that..
    I can't speak for everyone, but I think Elway and his scouting team have been better at draft picks and FA then just letting the Denver coaching staff make all the decisions, we use to do that you know, let the coaches make all the decisions LOL.
    sigpic

Comment

I'm not a person that understands drafts I admit it..I get that they can pick when their number is called or trade up or down but it has to be hard to pick if lot of holes are missing.. And more times then not unless they are high picks their a bust for most teams anyway..not always but imo drafts are more for building teams then competing teams.. I could be way off but I just think this is really not a good sign..its piecing milling a piece mill from what I see. but maybe it wont be as bad as I am thinking.
      He missed on a lot of high picks. Names like Dorsett Davis, Marcus Nash, Willie Middlebrooks, Deltha O'Neal, George Foster, were just a few of the guys who were complete busts in Denver. Although Deltha O'Neal was actually a pretty good returner, but not a very good corner.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
        The only complicated thing about Kubiak's offense is the verbose play calls. It dictates to defenses through the use of formations which gives an opportunity to observe how the defense aligns to and covers each. It is an offense that is fond of running the same play from as many different formations as possible. The game plan produces a script of c. 20 plays which is practiced in order and run in order during the game. How the defense reacts to each informs playcalling later in the game.

During the time Peyton Manning was healing up, I think Osweiler was given a play to execute. This was evident when he would cover the earholes of his helmet to hear the play. Now, Brock is going to a new offensive system which may require him to make more decisions than before. We'll see how that works.

Colin Kaepernick wants to play for Hue Jackson whom he seems to trust. If he gets the opportunity, he will probably try to do what Hue tells him within his own capabilities such as they are.

The production Denver got from the QB position in 2015 wasn't particularly impressive. 2016 will see the full Kubiak offense. In it, the QB, RBs and receivers need to execute the play and take care of the ball. If they do, the defense will win the turnover battle.
        Another curious question..is anybody concerned about the defense? They have lost a lot of them already and Von is doing Dancing w/ the Stars..lol Just saying.. I'm still scratching my head on that one..

Comment

Originally posted by Giddy'up View Post
          I can't speak for everyone, but I think Elway and his scouting team have been better at draft picks and FA then just letting the Denver coaching staff make all the decisions, we use to do that you know, let the coaches make all the decisions LOL.
          This is the best Front Office we have had in a very long time.
          Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
            He missed on a lot of high picks. Names like Dorsett Davis, Marcus Nash, Willie Middlebrooks, Deltha O'Neal, George Foster, were just a few of the guys who were complete busts in Denver. Although Deltha O'Neal was actually a pretty good returner, but not a very good corner.
            Until I read your last few words after their names I was getting ready to say that I have never heard of anyone of them I see why..lol So is their guys that they can obtain NOW in the drafts that wont cause them to skip a beat or is it start over ?

Comment

Another curious question..is anybody concerned about the defense? They have lost a lot of them already and Von is doing Dancing w/ the Stars..lol Just saying.. I'm still scratching my head on that one..
              They'll return 9 of 11 starters on D, the player replacing Trevathan is likely already on the roster and played in the rotation that Denver used on defense this year. The defensive end might be a new pickup but Denver has one of the best d-line coaches in the league.

The defense will be just fine.

Comment

The only loss I regret is Trevathan. Other than that they were either easily replaceable or going for the payday.

Comment

Oh God, no, please - don't make me relive those years.

Comment

I have a question and its legit..not being here before Peyton but doing a little research this seems to be exactly what happened after Elway retired..am I right? Elway brought success and then he retired they kept the same system, it didn't work well and Peyton came in brought success he retired and now its not looking good.. is this a cycle maybe?
                    On and to the OP .. I have said all along that the Kubiak offense limits the type of QB and we are seeing it. but that's me.

Not really. Elway and the offense was playing pretty good. I believe the offense was considered better than the defense. So, the team struggling now as it did post-Elway might not be the same.

The QB's they tried came in with much more hype (Griese was claimed to be another Elway claimed Shanny...or that could've been coach-speak). I don't know if it's a sign of the times, but there seems to be much more financial restriction these days than back then.

That Kubiak offense (the Elway one) was a powehouse. There was still passing, though. In fact, the passing/run ratio actually didn't change much from the year prior. So, that's one claim that I think is baseless.

The problems we saw with last year's offense was primarily a broken o-line that couldn't establish a run or pass protect, a hobbled QB playing in an unfamiliar system who also didn't possess the athleticism to perform some key elements of that system, and a young QB who was erratic and making bad decisions on the field. It really wasn't Kubiak's strategy.

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
                      The only complicated thing about Kubiak's offense is the verbose play calls. It dictates to defenses through the use of formations which gives an opportunity to observe how the defense aligns to and covers each. It is an offense that is fond of running the same play from as many different formations as possible. The game plan produces a script of c. 20 plays which is practiced in order and run in order during the game. How the defense reacts to each informs playcalling later in the game.

During the time Peyton Manning was healing up, I think Osweiler was given a play to execute. This was evident when he would cover the earholes of his helmet to hear the play. Now, Brock is going to a new offensive system which may require him to make more decisions than before. We'll see how that works.

Colin Kaepernick wants to play for Hue Jackson whom he seems to trust. If he gets the opportunity, he will probably try to do what Hue tells him within his own capabilities such as they are.

The production Denver got from the QB position in 2015 wasn't particularly impressive. 2016 will see the full Kubiak offense. In it, the QB, RBs and receivers need to execute the play and take care of the ball. If they do, the defense will win the turnover battle.
                      Hue Jackson might actually be the person who can end the Cleveland Browns QB curse. That is if he doesn't get too power hungry. Great QB coach, great offensive coordinator, but showed himself to be a man of horrible timing when as in his first head coaching gig, immediately after the iconic owner dies he goes in front of the media and talks about how now he's going to use his influence to get things done his way. Not a surprise he was fired after that season, nor that it took him a few years to even get a serious look again. If he can stay out of his own way, he might have a chance to be successful.

Comment

Kubiak's system is responsible for career years statistically for Jake Plummer, Joe Flacco and Matt Schaub and superbowl rings for Steve Young, Elway x2, and Peyton.
                        The defense helped Peyton out a lot more than he helped them but still the system is good enough to win titles 4 total up to this point.
                        sigpic

Comment

I appreciate all the good answers. Believe it or not, it was really just a question. I'm certainly not trying to impugn Kubiak's system or anything like that. We just won a SB!! Just curious what people are thinking.

Comment

Denver went through I believe it was, 7 different defensive coordinators in 7 years. They would come in and be terrible and immediately be made the scapegoat. Ironically one of the worst Bob Slowick*, was the last DC that Shanahan had here, and when he refused to fire him that's when Bowlen made the decision to fire Shanahan.

*Many people believe Slowick was the worst but I firmly believe that Wink Martindale (yeah he went by Wink) was the worst. The Chargers coaches were openly joking with the CBS guys the night before about how the Martindale defense wasn't even fundamentally sound.
                            Yeah I thought there could never be a worse defense than the Slowick defense then came Martindale.

Comment

Denver went through I believe it was, 7 different defensive coordinators in 7 years. They would come in and be terrible and immediately be made the scapegoat. Ironically one of the worst Bob Slowick*, was the last DC that Shanahan had here, and when he refused to fire him that's when Bowlen made the decision to fire Shanahan.

*Many people believe Slowick was the worst but I firmly believe that Wink Martindale (yeah he went by Wink) was the worst. The Chargers coaches were openly joking with the CBS guys the night before about how the Martindale defense wasn't even fundamentally sound.
                              Since Super Bowl XXXIII, there was: Greg Robinson; Ray Rhodes; Larry Coyer; Jim Bates; and, Bob Slowik. Five under Shanahan. McDaniels had: Mike Nolan and Don Martindale.
                              "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Elway brought success and then he retired they kept the same system, it didn't work well and Peyton came in brought success he retired and now its not looking good..
                                No.

The Broncos had the #2 offense in 2000, two seasons after Elway retired... #3 offense in 2002... #7 offense in 2003... #5 offense in 2004... #5 offense again in 2005...

"Didn't work well"? Why do you think Kubiak got the head-coaching job in Houston? Even when Kubiak left, the Broncos kept the system because it was Shanahan's system after all and the offense was not the problem. When Plummer and Cutler were the QBs, the offense was not the problem. The DEFENSE was an issue, especially by the time Shanahan was fired.

The offense worked pretty well with Kubiak and Shanahan even after Elway retired.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X