No announcement yet.

it's no longer SB or bust anymore

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just did not like the idea of folks hanging SB or bust on Elway's signing of Manning, as if this fairly old dude with an injury concern had to make it happen or it was all for not. The odds of winning the SB are not that good, even if you field a solid team. It just sounded like expectations were too high given there are no guarantees with such a signing.

In the end I would prefer you build a team that stays competitive over a long period of time, therefore enhancing it's chances of winning the crown on a regular basis. But there are far too many variables involved with ultimate victory. As long as you keep giving yourself a chance, keep fixing what needs to be fixed, keep maximizing, then you are definitely worthy of a shot.

That's part of why I'm support Elway so much. He has been effective in trying to make us better. He is relentless. He is also smart in the process. There is a shrewd side and a go get 'em side, and I love what he has done to date!
    Last edited by CanDB; 03-17-2016, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkHorse26 View Post
      Sigh. I was so nice not having Manning injected into every thread there for a while ...
      The OP has it in the first post. Kind of hard to avoid it when that happens.
      Administrator

Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage

Lupus Awareness

"a semicolon is used when an author could've chosen to end their sentence, but chose not to. The author is you and the sentence is your life ; "

Comment

Originally posted by Finn View Post

Kubiak did the right thing. If he let Peyton go out there and throw it around like a gunslinger, we would not be celebrating a Superbowl. He ran a conservative offense that protected leads, and limited turnovers. ...
        Oh, I so don't agree with that. No doubt Manning was running into many physical limitations. No denying that. But, I think a lot of the turnovers that started out the season were BECAUSE of Kubiak's change to the offense. He was forcing a hobbled, old QB who for 17 years ran the Moore-style offense, and tried to force the guy into not only doing things he couldn't do, but also asking an offense to do things it was entirely incapable of. The o-line couldn't run-block. They couldn't pass block. The TE play was mediocre. One WR seemed to be on vacation. In fact, it wouldn't perform until he let Manning do things the way he wanted. Then you'd see spurts of offensive production.

No way am I suggesting that offense could've turned anything near 2014 or earlier numbers. Not even close. But, the biggest problem with it was Kubiak unable to match the game to the personnel. The only time it got better was when you had a new QB in there that teams didn't have film on, and when they got Manning back who wasn't hobbled. Then, it simply limped along in its WCO variation without turning the ball over, basically kicking field goals and hoping the defense would score.

Thankfully Wade saved the team.

Comment

Originally posted by Peanut View Post
          The OP has it in the first post. Kind of hard to avoid it when that happens.
          Yeah. He mentioned the Manning window. Now we get to see another thread turn into the same "If it wasn't for Manning..." garbage.
          sigpic

Defense wins championships

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
            I just did not like the idea of folks hanging SB or bust on Elway's signing of Manning, as if this fairly old dude with an injury concern had to make it happen or it was all for not. The odds of winning the SB are not that good, even if you field a solid team. It just sounded like expectations were too high given there are no guarantees with such a signing.

In the end I would prefer you build a team that stays competitive over a long period of time, therefore enhancing it's chances of winning the crown on a regular basis. But there are far too many variables involved with ultimate victory. As long as you keep giving yourself a chance, keep fixing what needs to be fixed, keep maximizing, then you are definitely worthy of a shot.
            But it was.. Heres what people don't understand.. Elway and Peyton both being NFL QB's were defined by SB's ..its the way that is , it doesn't make it fair because other players it doesn't matter but QB's people decide their worth by SB wins.. so imo that's why Elway kept saying SB or bust ,,it was their purpose of bringing Peyton to Denver and if people are being honest he brought success back to Denver a success that hasn't been seen in Denver consistently since Elway. However now imo its sure the goal is to win the SB as every teams goal is until things come together its more of goal is to be competitive if a SB happens then its a bonus.

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissy View Post
              Question is if they don't repeat which I don't think they will where does the blame go? lol
              No one thought we were going to win last year...yet those Bronco themed Rings are in the works. Why u already assigning the blame for next year when we have not even drafted yet?

Doom and gloom much?
              Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Yeah. He mentioned the Manning window. Now we get to see another thread turn into the same "If it wasn't for Manning..." garbage.
                This team won with the 31st out of 32 teams qb play as a team.

The qb had very little to do with winning SB50. They did have something to do with it...but losing both of the qbs we had in 2015 does not lower our chances in 2016 very much imo....maybe one of them would have an advantage as 2nd year in the system i guess....it would be against the odds to play qb for a team as bad as we saw last year.

I know that is a hard concept to grasp that this team won with something other then its qb play....prob why we underdogs every week....but it true.
                Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Every year is SB or bust. Every year. Every single year.
                  Adopt-A-Bronco: Jonathon Cooper

Comment

Originally posted by listopencil View Post
                    Every year is SB or bust. Every year. Every single year.
                    Define "bust".

My take, which may be wrong, is _____ or bust means you are throwing everything but the kitchen sink to win it all. That's not how I would approach each season. Sometimes longer term goals dictate that you do not throw everything (but the kitchen sink) at winning The SB that specific year. The downside is pretty steep if you sell the farm.

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                      Define "bust".

My take, which may be wrong, is _____ or bust means you are throwing everything but the kitchen sink to win it all. That's not how I would approach each season. Sometimes longer term goals dictate that you do not throw everything (but the kitchen sink) at winning The SB that specific year. The downside is pretty steep if you sell the farm.
                      I mean that the FO is going to make any move they can to make the team a contender for the Super Bowl every single year. Take the QB position. Years ago PFM was available. They did what they had to do to sign him and fit his salary under the cap. They sunk a ton of cap space into one position because he was worth it. Now look at this year. Osweiler wanted a big fat payday. They let him walk because he didn't show that he was worth it. They will make decisions every year to field a team that can contend for a Super Bowl. Sometimes that means signing people. Sometimes that means letting people go. It's the same goal every year and every decision is based on that.
                      Adopt-A-Bronco: Jonathon Cooper

Comment

Broncos win the Superbowl...plaint and simple. Not Peyton Manning, not Von Miller, not Derek Wolfe....the Broncos won. Story over.
                        New England Patriots GM

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                          No one thought we were going to win last year...yet those Bronco themed Rings are in the works. Why u already assigning the blame for next year when we have not even drafted yet?

Doom and gloom much?
                          Correction..you need to go back and look at ALL of my posts .. I NEVER faltered ,,I said ALL ALONG even when the threads of oh Peyton would never take another snap sillness was going on.. I SAID THAT PEYTON AND THE BRONOS WOULD WIN SB 50.. so
                          Its not doom and gloom Ii am telling you what I believe to be the way its going to go down and if you read my posts its actually taking up for Elway which I don't do a lot.. its re4building time.. the Broncos just won a SB w/ Peyton which was the SB or bust years..Peyton is now retired, players that were part of the SB team are now playing for other teams ..Elway cant not get players to take these guys when the guys are not the4re to get.. its a HUGE difference when you have a plan that has been in place for 3 years prior as opposed to replacing what isn't there to be replaced with.. In other words give Elway a pass for the next few years..its going to take some time.. Rome wasn't built in a day.

Comment

If you watched the Broncos the last 4 years and listened to Elway then you would have heard him say that players were added and deleted because of Peyton.. I hope you don't think that last year was the making of the SB..lol because it wasn't.. it took adding and deleting the players to get it done.. You should listen to some of Elways interviews , its very interesting on this subject..

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissy View Post
                              But it was.. Heres what people don't understand.. Elway and Peyton both being NFL QB's were defined by SB's ..its the way that is , it doesn't make it fair because other players it doesn't matter but QB's people decide their worth by SB wins.. so imo that's why Elway kept saying SB or bust ,,it was their purpose of bringing Peyton to Denver and if people are being honest he brought success back to Denver a success that hasn't been seen in Denver consistently since Elway. However now imo its sure the goal is to win the SB as every teams goal is until things come together its more of goal is to be competitive if a SB happens then its a bonus.
                              Well said chrissy, usually I feel you come from an overly biased manning view point (nothing wrong with that I might add, it was a pleasure watching him do his thing at the top of his game from 12 to 14) but you are spot on here. Manning wasn't brought in to sell tickets, we all know the broncos have no problem doing that. He absolutely was brought to Denver to win a Super bowl.

Comment

Originally posted by Blanket24 View Post
                                Manning wasn't brought in to sell tickets, we all know the broncos have no problem doing that. He absolutely was brought to Denver to win a Super bowl.
                                My brother told me that when we sign Manning, that he was here to sell season tickets, I told him to go try and sign up, theres a waiting period. Broncos dont need to sell tickets, WE SUPPORT OUR TEAM, even if they suck.

Comment

Working...
                                X