CJ staying in Denver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hate to play contrarian.

I think this was a "have to make this move to show that players on rookie contracts mean something to me when it comes to an end" action on part of Elway. Elway gambled and lost, this is his way of admitting it.

If he had placed a 2nd round tender on C.J.Anderson, nobody touches him, I repeat nobody. Adam Gase called his bluff and Elway lost, either by having to re-sign C.J.Anderson at a higher price than a second round tender or by losing CJ, the former of which happened, IMO.
    Last edited by chad72; 03-15-2016, 06:18 PM.

Comment

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multime...f-007cc2ef0c12

Elway on CJ
      My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

Originally posted by chad72 View Post
        Hate to play contrarian.

I think this was a "have to make this move to show that players on rookie contracts mean something to me when it comes to an end" action on part of Elway. Elway gambled and lost, this is his way of admitting it.

If he had placed a 2nd round tender on C.J.Anderson, nobody touches him, I repeat nobody. Adam Gase called his bluff and Elway lost, either by having to re-sign C.J.Anderson at a higher price than a second round tender or by losing CJ, the former of which happened, IMO.
        But did he really lose? Yeah we are paying him more this year but what happens if we put a 2nd on him and he has a complete season without getting banged up? He's looking at making at least what Doug Martin just got. This is the only expensive year because of the signing bonus.

I do believe that Elway had no idea what the market for CJ was and had Miami or Chicago threw even more at him he'd be there. But this is a great contract for us and Elway didn't even have to negotiate.

Comment

Hate to play contrarian.

No. Elway put the lower tender on him to let him find his market value, and we ended up signing him to a team friendly long term deal at a lower cap hit than the higher tender would have been. We have him for a touch over $2 MIL and the higher tender would have been $2.4 MIL.
          Adopt-A-Bronco: Jonathon Cooper

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
            But did he really lose? Yeah we are paying him more this year but what happens if we put a 2nd on him and he has a complete season without getting banged up? He's looking at making at least what Doug Martin just got. This is the only expensive year because of the signing bonus.

I do believe that Elway had no idea what the market for CJ was and had Miami or Chicago threw even more at him he'd be there. But this is a great contract for us and Elway didn't even have to negotiate.
            His signing bonus is prorated through the length of his contract. For 2016: Base salary is $675,000. Work out bonus is $100,000. This year's segment of his signing bonus is 1,306,250. For a cap hit of 2,08,1250. We aren't paying more for him this year. We're paying less.

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post

I feel you would draft CJ's replacement anyways for insurance.

Do you really believe CJ goes an entire year without being banged up? I don't think so.

Only time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by listopencil View Post
                No. Elway put the lower tender on him to let him find his market value, and we ended up signing him to a team friendly long term deal at a lower cap hit than the higher tender would have been. We have him for a touch over $2 MIL and the higher tender would have been $2.4 MIL.
                One year benefit, but the contract is for 4 years and with it comes dead cap too if he is cut, right? The dead cap in the future, should he be cut, is offset by the extra amount you fork out for this year with a 2nd round tender, IMO. A little bonus for a guy who scored the winning TD vs the Steelers and the Panthers .

Comment

I feel you would draft CJ's replacement anyways for insurance.

Do you really believe CJ goes an entire year without being banged up? I don't think so.

Only time will tell.
                  Off the top of my head we have Juwan, Bibbs and Cyrus Gray under contract. We should grab another RB anyway and let Hillman walk.

Comment

One year benefit, but the contract is for 4 years and with it comes dead cap too if he is cut, right? The dead cap in the future, should he be cut, is offset by the extra amount you fork out for this year with a 2nd round tender, IMO. A little bonus for a guy who scored the winning TD vs the Steelers and the Panthers .
                    Only the first two years of his contract have guaranteed money. So if they cut him this year or next year that would create dead money. I doubt that they will cut him this year or next. After that if we cut him then his signing bonus would accelerate that year. Anyway: He just turned 25. So we have him under contract at 25, 26, 27 and 28 years old. The guy shouldn't be breaking down before his contract is up, I doubt that he gets cut at any point during this contract.

Comment

Unless I'm mistaken this is Anderson's 2nd contract, correct? He signed as an UDFA back in 2013. Generally speaking a player's 2nd contract is the biggest one they'll ever get. This was part of the problem with Oz. This was supposed to be his "pay me" year as well but Elway was saying they wanted to sign him to a short term deal to give him a chance to prove himself. So...this is kind of a big deal for Anderson because this represents what should be his biggest payday. And as far as overall money goes we got him for an average of $4.5 MIL a year during his gravy period. Again, not bad at all. That puts him currently at number 11 out of all RB's in the NFL. The current salary cap is $155,270 and it goes up every year. So we are investing slightly less than 3% of the team's financial resources in the guy's contract. Is CJ Anderson not worth slightly less than 3% of the available resources?

Comment

Im really hoping we stick with the RBs we have. I want to see what CJ can do with the workhorse carries. I feel like the split carries ruined his momentum, but I could be wrong. Hopefully he can stay healthy and carry the workload

Comment

Hate to play contrarian.

I actually somewhat agree with this. I think Elway matched the offer partly as a show of good faith to players and fans and so he didn't lose EVERY SINGLE ONE of our free agents, aside from Von. I love CJ. The guy plays with a lot of heart and, in my opinion, plays above and beyond his expected potential. That said, he really is a slightly better than average running back and was probably mostly replaceable. I was only slightly less surprised that Elway matched Miami's offer to keep CJ here than I was when he traded for Mark Sanchez. I hope he has a great career here.

Comment

Only the first two years of his contract have guaranteed money. So if they cut him this year or next year that would create dead money. I doubt that they will cut him this year or next. After that if we cut him then his signing bonus would accelerate that year. Anyway: He just turned 25. So we have him under contract at 25, 26, 27 and 28 years old. The guy shouldn't be breaking down before his contract is up, I doubt that he gets cut at any point during this contract.
                            There is dead money year 3 and year 4. $2.6 mil after year 2, 1.3mil after year 3.

It's still a good deal. It's a slight over pay. But Elway stated he wants players who wants be Broncos. By year 3 or 4 Broncos could restructure and CJ could move into more of a part time role. Like a 3rd down/backup guy. He gets his $10 mil now. Like any player you sign to good $$ only a major injury can make it a bad deal. if no major injury occurs this is a great deal organization wise. If you want to be picky only negative part his of deal is the $1.7mil gtd of his $2.9 base 2017 salary.

Comment

Originally posted by vanpelt4prez View Post
                              There is dead money year 3 and year 4. $2.6 mil after year 2, 1.3mil after year 3.

It's still a good deal. It's a slight over pay. But Elway stated he wants players who wants be Broncos. By year 3 or 4 Broncos could restructure and CJ could move into more of a part time role. Like a 3rd down/backup guy. He gets his $10 mil now. Like any player you sign to good $$ only a major injury can make it a bad deal. if no major injury occurs this is a great deal organization wise. If you want to be picky only negative part his of deal is the $1.7mil gtd of his $2.9 base 2017 salary.
                              Yeah, that is the acceleration of his signing bonus:

After that if we cut him then his signing bonus would accelerate that year.
                              His signing bonus is $5.25 Mil spread over 4 years at $1.3125 MIL a year. If we cut him before the four years are up then the remainder of his bonus hits immediately because it isn't spread across 4 years anymore. That's what I was saying. I'm OK with the 2017 set up even though the 1.7 seems a bit odd to me. Like you said, it's a good deal overall.

Comment

Hate to play contrarian.

1. Put the dagger in the patriots which provided a later needed tie breaker for the 1 seed
                                2. On the coat tails of Miller, put the dagger in the panthers for a SB win.
                                And many more to mention...all behind a bad OL.

If you want quality you gotta pay for it

Comment

Working...
                                X