X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Al Wilson 4 Mayor
    replied
    Originally posted by samparnell View Post
    Before Elway traded for Mark Sanchez and it looked like C.J. was going to Miami, the offensive backfield was looking pretty empty. Having those two on the team is a big step toward putting together the 2016 O.

Another QB is needed who might be a rookie. Another RB is needed who could also be a rookie. The Ryan Clady situation might be clear soon. A couple of rookie O-Linemen will probably be drafted.

C.J. Anderson staying in Denver is a big deal IMO.
    It is a big deal. CJ is a playmaker. Let's hope he doesn't have ankle/foot issues this year.

Leave a comment:

• FR Tim
    replied
    Originally posted by sendacash View Post
    Keeping CJ leaves drafting an early round QB still an option for the upcoming draft and less likely to take an RB in the first 3 rounds, although I still expect some sort of flier on a mid round RB , trying to uncover some hidden gem. Obviously the Broncos need to bring in some additional o-line help in as well.
    I still would like to see a RB added by the 3rd round. Broncos have four picks, one should be a RB IMO.

I am thrilled to see Anderson re-signed. He is an emotional leader on the field. The contract is justified for the intangibles as much as his production IMO. But a quality RB is needed to create a solid tandem. Several good choices depending on what Kubiak wants to add to the backfield. Power, speed or all-purpose.

Still a lot to be worked out in free agency before draft "needs" can be determined. QB is still up in the air. If this Kaepernick deal goes through the Broncos are essentially giving him the job for a couple years. He is their guy. After using a draft pick and re-structuring a significant contract I doubt he will be considered a short term solution. Would be surprised if a high round rookie is added at that point.

Same with o-line. Going to be interesting to see the outcome of Okung and Clady. If neither are a Bronco leaves an early round pick for a o-lineman almost a certainty.

Leave a comment:

• chad72
    replied
    Originally posted by vanpelt4prez View Post
    Elway didn't win but he didn't lose. Broncos are up against the cap. Saved $500k this year by not putting a 2nd round tender on CJ. Slightly over paid overall but come year 3 or year 4 could ask CJ to take a paycut and be more of a 3rd down back if he isn't producing or can't be the "bell cow RB" anymore.
    This, I can agree with, hopefully you won't have to cut him the first 2 years like listopencil replied before. Loved CJ in 2014, Hillman and the OL both were factors in CJ's lack of production in 2015, IMO. Mark Sanchez or Kaepernick, both have needed good rushing attacks to succeed when their teams have had their best years, so CJ and the OL will be THE biggest factors in 2016 for the Broncos' offense to be efficient. If you ask the above 2 to throw 30+ times a game, you are asking for trouble based on their history.
    Last edited by chad72; 03-17-2016, 07:33 AM.

Leave a comment:

• vanpelt4prez
    replied
    Originally posted by chad72 View Post
    You said it. Why overpay when you can draft his replacement? Heck, Edgerrin James was replaced with Addai more than adequately. Most good teams run RBC. Unless your back is a game wrecker like the Adrian Peterson kind that are few and far between, it was easily worth the chance to put a 2nd round tender on CJ, IMO. RBs' longevity in this league is around 4 years of peak performance, or maybe even less.

Arian Foster burst on to the scene in 2010 as an UDFA, lit the league up (I know well because I drafted him in FF), maintained a high level for at least 4 years but having a lion's share of the carries caught up to him the last 2 years with injuries. CJ2K, it was 2 years of great performances followed by a few mediocre ones that continued once he got his big contract. Besides, RBs are a big product of the OL (unless you are AD or Barry Sanders). Denver fans should know that when they used to churn out those 1000 yard rushers under Shanahan when their OL was cooking for the most part.

Elway did not win by any means. He may have won more than lost in the past 4 years, but in this situation, he took a gamble and it did not pay off, clearly. I strongly agree to disagree here. He may not have lost everything here but let's not act like Elway came out on top in this situation, it was CJ that did. The only way this works is that CJ works his butt off to show he was worth the 4 year trust, only time will tell that. Your OL reconstruction will end up being a bigger factor, all said and done.
    Elway didn't win but he didn't lose. Broncos are up against the cap. Saved $500k this year by not putting a 2nd round tender on CJ. Slightly over paid overall but come year 3 or year 4 could ask CJ to take a paycut and be more of a 3rd down back if he isn't producing or can't be the "bell cow RB" anymore.

Leave a comment:

• chad72
    replied
    Originally posted by bigdog1002 View Post
    Elway didn't lose anything. He won in the end. Nobody was giving up a 2nd round pick to sign CJ. CJ has a big year next year and gets to become UNRESTRICTED. Then we would've had to REALLY break out the checkbook to re-sign him or risk him going to another team who overpaid (and someone would).
    You said it. Why overpay when you can draft his replacement? Heck, Edgerrin James was replaced with Addai more than adequately. Most good teams run RBC. Unless your back is a game wrecker like the Adrian Peterson kind that are few and far between, it was easily worth the chance to put a 2nd round tender on CJ, IMO. RBs' longevity in this league is around 4 years of peak performance, or maybe even less.

Arian Foster burst on to the scene in 2010 as an UDFA, lit the league up (I know well because I drafted him in FF), maintained a high level for at least 4 years but having a lion's share of the carries caught up to him the last 2 years with injuries. CJ2K, it was 2 years of great performances followed by a few mediocre ones that continued once he got his big contract. Besides, RBs are a big product of the OL (unless you are AD or Barry Sanders). Denver fans should know that when they used to churn out those 1000 yard rushers under Shanahan when their OL was cooking for the most part.

Elway did not win by any means. He may have won more than lost in the past 4 years, but in this situation, he took a gamble and it did not pay off, clearly. I strongly agree to disagree here. He may not have lost everything here but let's not act like Elway came out on top in this situation, it was CJ that did. The only way this works is that CJ works his butt off to show he was worth the 4 year trust, only time will tell that. Your OL reconstruction will end up being a bigger factor, all said and done.
    Last edited by chad72; 03-17-2016, 07:09 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Jim Mora
    replied
    Originally posted by Freyaka View Post
    Pretty big difference between paying a RB 4.5M per year and paying a QB 18M....pretty massive difference.
    I agree...............

Leave a comment:

• samparnell
    replied
    Before Elway traded for Mark Sanchez and it looked like C.J. was going to Miami, the offensive backfield was looking pretty empty. Having those two on the team is a big step toward putting together the 2016 O.

Another QB is needed who might be a rookie. Another RB is needed who could also be a rookie. The Ryan Clady situation might be clear soon. A couple of rookie O-Linemen will probably be drafted.

C.J. Anderson staying in Denver is a big deal IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Fantaztic7
    replied
    Originally posted by OrangeFanatic View Post
    Cj is an average to below average back. This is terrible news.

EDIT: We overpay this guy but wont pay a semi proven QB, LOLZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
    Take away the plays CJ made in the regular season game vs. New England and we likely lose that game. I'm not saying the guy is special on every play - but he made some very special plays.

Leave a comment:

• Freyaka
    replied

Pretty big difference between paying a RB 4.5M per year and paying a QB 18M....pretty massive difference.

Leave a comment:

• Blanket24
    replied

Or the narrotive could be, oz is an average to a below average qb while cj is a fantastic zbs running back. This is great! We don't know until we play!

Leave a comment:

• MHOC
    replied
    Is there a video or something of Stink dogging CJ and his signing? Heard about it but can't find it.. Link would be great thanks

Leave a comment:

• OrangeFanatic
    replied

Last edited by OrangeFanatic; 03-16-2016, 12:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• sendacash
    replied
    Keeping CJ leaves drafting an early round QB still an option for the upcoming draft and less likely to take an RB in the first 3 rounds, although I still expect some sort of flier on a mid round RB , trying to uncover some hidden gem. Obviously the Broncos need to bring in some additional o-line help in as well.

Leave a comment:

• vanpelt4prez
    replied
    I'm pulling my hair out listening to the radio guys talk about CJs contract. These guys are clueless.

Leave a comment:

• broncoslover115
    replied
    Originally posted by sheenabobeena View Post
    LOL well Adam Gase feels the same. “In Denver — C.J. (Anderson) would hate me for saying this — but he got tired and was a little chubby sometimes. I mean, he got worn down quick and then we had to rotate backs in last year.”
    Yup and this was sort of addressed in Elway's conference call. The question came up about him being injury prone, his health and coming to TC out of shape. Elway said he spoke to CJ about this and that he expects him to do something about this. He expects him to change his workout routines, to maintain his health and to assume more of a leadership role and increased role on the field. CJ said he understands this.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X