Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elway has been behind 7 superbowl appearances for our Broncos!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The thing that always makes me happiest about Elway's career is that he finished the way he started, as a Bronco. In the modern NFL era where stars often chase the biggest payday or owners dump the once face of their franchises over ego power plays, I love how John and Pat Bowlen remained united...especially compared to Montana who chose to leave SF in a messy divorce. I was living in San Jose at the time and would talk smack to every 9er fan I could find

http://www.nytimes.com/1993/04/21/sports/pro-football-chiefs-and-49ers-come-to-terms-on-montana-trade-at-last.html

Some excerpts:

"Well, Kansas City to the Super Bowl," said a former 49ers linebacker, Matt Millen.

"I had a feeling when they told him he would be the starter and he turned that down he was gone," Rice said. "I plan on giving him a call this week to just wish him the best. I feel like he can still play. He'll really help Kansas City out.

"I think when he was ready to come back last year, if he had come back and if they had named him the starting quarterback then, he would still be around. But he was healthy and he was ready and they didn't activate him."

When Montana was conducting a search for a new team over the last month, there was a heavy backlash from fans in the Bay area, and the 49ers -- in an apparent public-relations ploy -- suddenly started an all-out campaign to bring Montana back.

On Sunday, they named him their "designated" starter ahead of the league's most valuable player, Steve Young. But Montana, believing the 49ers were insincere, turned them down. He had asked to be traded to Kansas City, who had already agreed with Montana on a three-year, $10 million contract -- worth $4 million in 1993 and $4 million in 1994. "Both teams are pleased that the matter has reached a conclusion on terms that they feel are fair and reasonable," said 49ers President Carmen Policy, who made tonight's deal reluctantly.
    Last edited by Dennis.1960; 03-20-2016, 08:32 AM.
    "There is no plan B. Plan A is to win the Super Bowl" - John Elway
    PLAN A ACCOMPLISHED 2/7/16!!!
    LSU 15-0 2019 BCS Champions...Geaux Tigers :dance:

Comment

Working...
    X