How Are Players Viewed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Are Players Viewed?

Malik and Brock got paid can't blame them for taking care of their family's right?
    Well what does that make Derek Wolfe, and Chris Harris? Should they have taken care of their families and not settled for Denver's offer?
    What is the difference between these players?
    Demarcus Ware could have left when asked for a paycut but stayed is he different because he's already been paid?
    Where do we draw the line with loyalty to the team and doing what's best for yourself ?
    sigpic

It's simple. What's best for you is not what's best for me.
    sigpic

Comment

Some guys are simply settled in where they are. They don't wanna uproot their kids from school, the wife has a job that she enjoys working for, etc. Different strokes for different folks I suppose

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
        It's simple. What's best for you is not what's best for me.
        There's no right or wrong then? Leaving a group of players who you owe some of your success to and the franchise that believed in you more than any other franchise in the draft giving you your first opportunity and offered you a fair contract to stay shouldn't be treated differently than a team throwing money at you?
        I guess maybe people are loyal for different reasons. Malik said if Denver offered him anything at the beginning of the season he'd take it, and if Brock wasn't benched even if we lost and didn't make it out of the Wild card we then would have earned his loyalty.
        Harris and Wolfe both suffered season ending injuries and the way they were treated by Elway must have won them over.
        Last edited by 58Miller; 03-17-2016, 11:08 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

Of course it depends on who you ask. Obviously Elway understands the value of attitude and heart, and he believes it plays in to the "kicking and screaming", which is my guess. Can a team win on that? Dunno. Seems it can, though. I like that Elway hasn't caved to the "pay me or I leave" pressure. Had he signed Malik for that coin, what kind of message does that send to Wolfe? To Chris Harris Jr.? He did the same with CJ, letting the market set the price.

Comment

Originally posted by Blanket24 View Post
            Some guys are simply settled in where they are. They don't wanna uproot their kids from school, the wife has a job that she enjoys working for, etc. Different strokes for different folks I suppose
            My grandpa always says that line, I always think of the tv show " what you talking about willis?"
            sigpic

Comment

They're grown men with families and differing personalities. Everyone is looking for something different.

I like to poke fun at money chasers, and loyalty to a team makes me respect them.

you should

sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
                There's no right or wrong then? Leaving a group of players who you owe some of your success to and the franchise that believed in you more than any other franchise in the draft giving you your first opportunity and offered you a fair contract to stay shouldn't be treated differently than a team throwing money at you?
                . ...
                You're gonna have a tough time in our culture getting this idea of committment/teamwork to most. We're not much of a team in our regular culture (think of all the divisive behavior). It's pretty much chase the money for many, many people. An attitude of team before self exists deeply in places like Japan, Taiwan, Israel, and likely others (those are ones I have direct experience with). We're taught "me first".

Oh, I should add that I bet a lot of the pressure to chase the money comes from the agents. I'd bet they're paid based on what the player gets paid, so they're likely hyping the heck out of going somewhere whether it's really better or not in the long run.
                Last edited by TheManningMelon; 03-17-2016, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Go where you are supposed to go. Some players believe in God and they should go where God wants them to go. Sometimes reasons also involve money, location of the country, taxes, coaching staff, team atmosphere, a chance to play, job security, or getting out of a previous bad situation.

Comment

Originally posted by TheManningMelon View Post
                    You're gonna have a tough time in our culture getting this idea of committment/teamwork to most. We're not much of a team in our regular culture (think of all the divisive behavior). It's pretty much chase the money for many, many people. An attitude of team before self exists deeply in places like Japan, Taiwan, Israel, and likely others (those are ones I have direct experience with). We're taught "me first".
                    I think the same thing could be said about the owners of NFL teams or any pro sports teams.. the owners make entirely way to much money off of these athletes.. imo they are all overpaid, everyone involved but its no different then any of you going to work and your boss making money off of the work that you do..w/o you their deals don't get done or closed.. but I am willing to bet that if another company come along and offered y'all more money for doing the exact same thing that you do at your job you will take it in a heartbeat.. Money sadly is what makes the world go round , and it pay the bills.. I don't blame 1 player from any team taking more money to play on another team..

Comment

Absolutely there is no right or wrong. It's your life, and you should do what makes you and your family happy. To me, they should not make a LIFE decision based on how I or you feel.

Comment

Originally posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
                        Absolutely there is no right or wrong. It's your life, and you should do what makes you and your family happy. To me, they should not make a LIFE decision based on how I or you feel.
                        Well said.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
                          I guess maybe people are loyal for different reasons. Malik said if Denver offered him anything at the beginning of the season he'd take it, and if Brock wasn't benched even if we lost and didn't make it out of the Wild card we then would have earned his loyalty.
                          Harris and Wolfe both suffered season ending injuries and the way they were treated by Elway must have won them over.
                          When Malik said that he wasn't really worth keeping at that point. No reason for Elway to go ahead and lock him up.

You don't extend average backup players early. It's completely irrelevant to what transpired over the course of the season. And what's Malik got a little ego he wanted to get paid. Which I have no problem with.

Elway is not to blame. Malik is not to blame.

It is what it is.

And with Brock it doesn't sound like it was all about money anyway. He seemed anti Denver after the playoffs.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
                            They're grown men with families and differing personalities. Everyone is looking for something different.

I like to poke fun at money chasers, and loyalty to a team makes me respect them.

you should

I have decided not to open that video because I would have to hate you for not being able to get that song out of my head. AGAIN!
                            Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by Chrissy View Post
                              I think the same thing could be said about the owners of NFL teams or any pro sports teams.. the owners make entirely way to much money off of these athletes.. imo they are all overpaid, everyone involved but its no different then any of you going to work and your boss making money off of the work that you do..w/o you their deals don't get done or closed.. but I am willing to bet that if another company come along and offered y'all more money for doing the exact same thing that you do at your job you will take it in a heartbeat.. Money sadly is what makes the world go round , and it pay the bills.. I don't blame 1 player from any team taking more money to play on another team..

I'm not blaming the players. My first sentence said it's in our culture, which will include owners, and everyone else. And, money isn't the primary driver in all cultures, so it doesn't necessarily make the world go 'round. I know a few cultures where it takes a back seat to family, friendship, and even business. In fact, I'll be moving to one. I know...like most here tell me, don't let the door hit me in the you-know-what on my way out...lol.

I personally like those who value commitment over coin. So, I dig guys like Harris, Ware, Wolfe, CJ, etc. Just my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X