Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How Are Players Viewed?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #46
    Originally posted by andrewmlb View Post
    I don't doubt they did a very honorable thing in signing at a reduced rate. As a fan I appreciate it. But to chastise (not referring to you) a player for getting as much as they can is not fair and quite ignorant to what professional athletes go through.
    Your right about chastising especially when we don't know the whole story, I have to admit from what Brock was being offered and what he would inherit I was surprised he turned it down. So many guys Brock played with since he was a rookie and had great chemistry with guys like Virgel Green, & Cody Latimer.
    In my opinion he was getting the keys to a Mansion and he settled for a tract home with a pool.
    sigpic

    Comment


    • #47
      Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
      Your right about chastising especially when we don't know the whole story, I have to admit from what Brock was being offered and what he would inherit I was surprised he turned it down. So many guys Brock played with since he was a rookie and had great chemistry with guys like Virgel Green, & Cody Latimer.
      In my opinion he was getting the keys to a Mansion and he settled for a tract home with a pool.
      Yeah but that's only your singular point of view.

      People rag on him for it, but he wanted a fresh start. People talk business and loyalty out of both sides of their mouth until they are blue in the face. The benching in SD wasn't the first time this has happened with Brock. We all remember him trying to run on the field in a blowout against the raiders, and instead watching Manning take his place.

      Ego's in the nfl are huge, especially at the QB position, and they have to be. That's how they become great, believing in and betting on, themselves. Brock didn't feel he was "the guy" here, and he's probably right. He went somewhere that wanted him to be "the guy". Now let's see how he handles getting exactly what he asked for.
      sigpic

      Hooray, beer!

      Comment


      • #48
        Every player is in a unique situation and comes from a very different background. We can't judge players for the decisions they make. For every player that says they are taking a big deal for their family, there is one that will say the same staying in their current situation for less (not uprooting). The truth of these big FA deals is that very few of them actually earn much more than the guaranteed money - but that is hard for any person/player to realize up front - Malik/Brock need to be convinced they can earn that money and make a difference. Playing for a great organization in a great city on a team that is built to win over the next several years is something that Harris/Wolfe see as worth something more than just a big splashy number. I would bet that Wolfe earns more money over his career than Malik... Someone like Ware has been in a bad organization (Dallas) and realizes at this point of his career that he is part of something special. It does take that experience and having already had those big deals before many can recognize that.

        I am sure we all see this in our workplaces - I have been happily employed since I graduated and have seen many people leave for start-ups/etc. and they quickly find out they made a huge mistake. Could I make more elsewhere, yes, I stay where I am for my sanity/family/friends.

        Comment


        • #49
          Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
          Elway could have cut Clady and Ware and automatically had $20 million freed up, but he showed loyalty and tried to work with them. He cut Vasquez because he didn't fit the new Kubiak system and he had a high cap hit, he originally was brought in to pass protect for Manning, he was a hired gun and they are always the first to go.
          So what you're saying is Elway wants the Broncos to have more money back when a player's market value doesn't justify it? How's that different than players wanting to get more money on their end when they've outperformed a contact?

          I'm not complaining about what Elway does, just showing you its a business that works both ways.
          Last edited by Mattieflo; 03-18-2016, 12:04 PM.

          Comment


          • #50
            Its our right as fans to look at them however we want.

            Just like it is there right as players to take care of their families on 6 fig a year salaries, 7 fig a year or 8 fig a year.

            Me personally I like the guys who work for more money then I will ever know but still take less so the team can win.

            It is no fun being a fan of a losing team so I appreciate the guy who only takes 9 mil, 15 mil, 30 mil or 60 mil so that other friends and team mates can also get paid a seven fig salary and not have to change teams to do it unless they really want to

            Plus they get to play for a winner and we get to cheer for a winner. This is not a guarantee but much more likely if proven players stay in the scheme they already shown they can be successful in.
            Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

            Comment


            • #51
              Originally posted by Mattieflo View Post
              So what you're saying is Elway wants the Broncos to have more money back when a player's market value doesn't justify it? How's that different than players wanting to get more money on their end when they've outperformed a contact?

              I'm not complaining about what Elway does, just showing you its a business that works both ways.
              I get what your saying but using that argument Brock is being paid more than Andy Dalton, and Carson Palmer make. He has done nothing to earn that and Sam Bradford and Kirk Cousins haven't earned theirs either.
              And Malik has a contract comparable to JJ Watt.
              So it may be a business but I'm glad John Elway is our GM, because paying somebody just because someone else is stupid enough to overpay them is bad business. Unless you can give me examples of players who broke the bank and lived up to their contracts. The only ones I can think of our Reggie White and Deion Sanders.
              sigpic

              Comment


              • #52
                Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                Its our right as fans to look at them however we want.

                Just like it is there right as players to take care of their families on 6 fig a year salaries, 7 fig a year or 8 fig a year.

                Me personally I like the guys who work for more money then I will ever know but still take less so the team can win.

                It is no fun being a fan of a losing team so I appreciate the guy who only takes 9 mil, 15 mil, 30 mil or 60 mil so that other friends and team mates can also get paid a seven fig salary and not have to change teams to do it unless they really want to

                Plus they get to play for a winner and we get to cheer for a winner. This is not a guarantee but much more likely if proven players stay in the scheme they already shown they can be successful in.
                This is a much better version of what I have been trying to say.
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #53
                  Originally posted by 58Miller View Post
                  Malik and Brock got paid can't blame them for taking care of their family's right?
                  Well what does that make Derek Wolfe, and Chris Harris? Should they have taken care of their families and not settled for Denver's offer?
                  What is the difference between these players?
                  Demarcus Ware could have left when asked for a paycut but stayed is he different because he's already been paid?
                  Where do we draw the line with loyalty to the team and doing what's best for yourself ?
                  There are guys that let the promise of pay overshadow the dream of being a champion. Then there are wiser ones that recognize how wealthy they already are and that a few more million won't make them as happy as being part of a winning, championship team.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X