QB Comparison Lynch / Roethlisberger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QB Comparison Lynch / Roethlisberger

I was watching Lynch's pro day, some of his high lights on tube and also a talk with the NFL Network crew, when the similarities to Big Ben started to show up:

6' 7" TALL. Can see the field clearly.

BIG HANDS that make the ball disappear. Ben is the only QB I've seen wind completely up and stop the motion at the last second, pull it down and throw to another receiver.

Moves and slides in the pocket keeping his eyes down field, looking to make a play - a PLAY EXTENDER.

Big Ben on his pro day stood on his own 20 and (flat footed) threw the ball 60 yards. Watching Paxton's pro day I saw him throw from his own 35 and hit a receiver 5 yards into the end zone.

Ben accuracy has really developed and Paxton's should to with the receiving core Denver has he has a great chance to protect the ball hitting mainly wide open receivers at first.

GAMER / Playmaker. Both find ways to extend and finish positive plays - with their feet if necessary.

Both come from unknown schools looking to prove themselves. Miami of Ohio and Memphis.

Paxton has the right physicality and skill set to progress nicely in Denver. Both walked into great defenses, which have great coaches. Not to much pressure to make every down count knowing more opportunities will come. Good D gives QB's more opportunities.

I really like this comparison. I think it fits. Kubes is the key to what Paxton will be ands that is not bad.
    This is the NFL!!

Don't sing it... Bring It!!!!!

Go Broncos!!!!!!!

Originally posted by JED Bronco View Post
    I was watching Lynch's pro day, some of his high lights on tube and also a talk with the NFL Network crew, when the similarities to Big Ben started to show up:

6' 7" TALL. Can see the field clearly.

BIG HANDS that make the ball disappear. Ben is the only QB I've seen wind completely up and stop the motion at the last second, pull it down and throw to another receiver.

Moves and slides in the pocket keeping his eyes down field, looking to make a play - a PLAY EXTENDER.

Big Ben on his pro day stood on his own 20 and (flat footed) threw the ball 60 yards. Watching Paxton's pro day I saw him throw from his own 35 and hit a receiver 5 yards into the end zone.

Ben accuracy has really developed and Paxton's should to with the receiving core Denver has he has a great chance to protect the ball hitting mainly wide open receivers at first.

GAMER / Playmaker. Both find ways to extend and finish positive plays - with their feet if necessary.

Both come from unknown schools looking to prove themselves. Miami of Ohio and Memphis.

Paxton has the right physicality and skill set to progress nicely in Denver. Both walked into great defenses, which have great coaches. Not to much pressure to make every down count knowing more opportunities will come. Good D gives QB's more opportunities.

I really like this comparison. I think it fits. Kubes is the key to what Paxton will be ands that is not bad.
    Nicely put. Cp coming when I'm at my pc.

Lynch also threw the ball very accurately in high wind situations, so in itself should speak volumes for his accuracy!

We've got a fine young athlete here in Denver and it's looking like the loss of BO to Houston is a blessing in disguise.

Comment

I'm excited. Seems like a great pick. Perfect for our offense, I think he can do wonders here.

Oh, and he needs to eat some cheeseburgers and hit the weight room a little more before he's physically that much like Big Ben.
      :lombardi:2019 Adopt-A-Bronco: Dr. Dre'Mont Jones
      sigpic

Comment

Well, Ben was never really that good early on, but walked into a gold mine in Pittsburgh.

Lynch seems to be a bit more polished out of the gate, and also walks into a great situation.

Here's hoping the o-line gets a little better tonight!

Comment

I think Lynch would be a little more comparable to Flacco than Big Ben.

Comment

Originally posted by ELWAY421 View Post
            Is not the size that is comparable to Big Ben (although if he fills in another 20 pounds he will be a beast). It's the big hands and the way his instincts in the pocket can:

1. Move around with poise knowing he can break a tackle if need be while keeping eyes downfield.
            2. Or scramble and throw those beautiful balls Ben throws on the run.
            3. With those big hands, he can be doing some serious pump fakes that to me make Big Ben a real difference maker compared to most Qb's.
            "He's going to be the #1 receiver, and is going to be a star in this league for a long time" Todd Mcshay on Jerry Jeudy

Comment

Originally posted by ELWAY421 View Post
              I thought so until I started watching college highlights of Flacco. Pax is more mobile and throws better on the move than Flacco did in college.
              Adopt-A-Bronco: Jonathon Cooper

Comment

A few years ago someone asked John Elway if any of the QB's playing were similar to him in style of play. He said that Big Ben was.
                Adopt-A-Bronco: Jonathon Cooper

Comment

Good to have a QB appropriate for Kubiak's system. Peyton wasn't and Brock wasn't but they ran it anyway. Hopefully he develops nicely, another big Ben or Flacco would be acceptable.

Comment

If he has a career like Roethlisberger has had (on the field, not off) then this is a great pick for the Broncos.

Comment

Originally posted by cmc0605 View Post
                      Good to have a QB appropriate for Kubiak's system. Peyton wasn't and Brock wasn't but they ran it anyway. Hopefully he develops nicely, another big Ben or Flacco would be acceptable.
                      I think the giddiness in Elway and Kubes comes from that...they finally have a QB who is perfect for what they want. No more adapting. Being young and humble they can just mentor him into what they want, much like Belicheat did with Brady. The true legendary Broncos offense is coming back to Denver baby!
                      "He's going to be the #1 receiver, and is going to be a star in this league for a long time" Todd Mcshay on Jerry Jeudy

Comment

Originally posted by MarshallMoss View Post
                        I think the giddiness in Elway and Kubes comes from that...they finally have a QB who is perfect for what they want. No more adapting. Being young and humble they can just mentor him into what they want, much like Belicheat did with Brady. The true legendary Broncos offense is coming back to Denver baby!
                        I prefer the 40 pts/game offense over the bootlegs people romanticize so much, but at least we've finally figured out how valuable a #1 defense is. That, I expect will be a priority for many a future season. Getting a QB from the draft wasn't just about a QB, but a cost strategy for keeping the current roster intact.

Comment

Originally posted by cmc0605 View Post
                          I prefer the 40 pts/game offense over the bootlegs people romanticize so much, but at least we've finally figured out how valuable a #1 defense is. That, I expect will be a priority for many a future season. Getting a QB from the draft wasn't just about a QB, but a cost strategy for keeping the current roster intact.
                          I agree with what you're saying here. Assuming Lynch works out, the Broncos now have a QB that they can keep for relatively cheap cap numbers for the next 5 seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by listopencil View Post
                            A few years ago someone asked John Elway if any of the QB's playing were similar to him in style of play. He said that Big Ben was.
                            I don't see it.

Ben doesn't break from the pocket... John did and threw rather well on the run. Ben rarely throws on the run.

Ben doesn't throw bullets into tight coverage... John did and got away with it... regularly.
                            "Mike Harden, meet Steve Largent." KA-BOOM!!

Comment

Doogansquest:
                              Still hoping for Whitehair, but that dream is a little long in the tooth now considering the distance between now and our pick.
                              To be honest I wouldn't be upset if D Henry was there.
                              They'll probably trade down to get something back from giving the third to Seattle.
                              Last edited by Holger_Danske; 04-29-2016, 02:05 PM.
                              Canadian Denver Bronco Fan Club #60

Comment

Working...
                              X