Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Denver Broncos 2016- 53 Man Roster Predictions Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Denver Broncos 2016- 53 Man Roster Predictions Thread

    So there was a recent link posted by ESPN about their 53 Man Roster predictions (See copied relevant text below). With their work done on an initial base-line I thought we may want to comment and make some of our own roster predictions. keep in mind that before you make a critique of anyone's predictions that there is a full roster to consider here. Just because one guy is SUPER good. Doesn't mean he'll make the 53-Man roster. particularly if the depth at his position is DEEP.

    On with the thread....


    ESPN's 2016 Denver Broncos 53-Man Roster Prediction:

    Link: http://espn.go.com/blog/denver-bronc...juwan-thompson

    Relevant Text:

    Offense:

    QUARTERBACKS (3): Mark Sanchez, Trevor Siemian, Paxton Lynch
    RUNNING BACKS (4): C.J. Anderson, Devontae Booker, Ronnie Hillman, Juwan Thompson
    FULLBACK (1): Andy Janovich
    WIDE RECEIVERS (5): Demaryius Thomas, Emmanuel Sanders, Cody Latimer, Bennie Fowler, Jordan Norwood
    TIGHT ENDS (3): Virgil Green, Jeff Heuerman, Garrett Graham
    OFFENSIVE LINE (9): Russell Okung, Ty Sambrailo, Matt Paradis, Max Garcia, Donald Stephenson, Michael Schofield, James Ferentz, Connor McGovern, Robert Myers Jr

    Defense:

    DEFENSIVE LINE (7): Derek Wolfe, Jared Crick, Vance Walker, Adam Gotsis, Sylvester Williams, Phil Taylor, Darius Kilgo
    LINEBACKERS (8): Von Miller, Brandon Marshall, DeMarcus Ware, Todd Davis, Corey Nelson, Shaquil Barrett, Shane Ray, Dekoda Watson
    DEFENSIVE BACKS (10): Chris Harris Jr., Aqib Talib, T.J. Ward, Darian Stewart, Bradley Roby, Kayvon Webster, Lorenzo Doss, Taurean Nixon, Justin Simmons, Shiloh Keo

    Special Teams:
    SPECIALISTS (3): PK Brandon McManus, P Riley Dixon, LS Casey Kreiter

    My 53-Man Projection (with commentary):

    Offense (25):

    QUARTERBACKS (3): Mark Sanchez, Trevor Siemian, Paxton Lynch

    At the QB position we simply have to much uncertainty to not keep all three. The real question will be can or will Trevor S overthrow Sanchez as our starter.....

    RUNNING BACKS (3): C.J. Anderson, Devontae Booker, Juwan Thompson

    This is the big one for me. Do we as a team value Thompson's insane versatility as a player over that of another TE/FB combo option? Then there is the question of Booker and if he can stay healthy in a real NFL environment. Assuming Booker stays healthy I think we could very well see Ronnie Hillman get cut and maintain 3 Rb's as we did last year and keep Bibbs on the PS once again.

    FULLBACK (1): Andy Janovich

    Right choice and he was drafted for this....and we move on.

    WIDE RECEIVERS (5): Demaryius Thomas, Emmanuel Sanders, Cody Latimer, Jordan Taylor, Kalif Raymond

    This is a VERY competitive space for us and I think Taylor might be making life very difficult for guys like Latimer, Fowler & Norwood. Personally I think we see Taylor taking the job from Fowler as there have been multiple reports of Fowler struggling and Taylor excelling. On top of that I am not certain Norwood makes the roster either. With the other two return men on the team right now I could easily see his job get taken away by one of them.

    TIGHT ENDS (4): Virgil Green, Jeff Heuerman, Garrett Graham (Manasseh Garner), Henry Krieger-Coble

    This is the position group where I think Kubiak will struggle to select his 3 or 4 guys the most at. Personally I think we keep Jeff and Virgil as the #1 and #2 but after that I think it is very much a free for all. Graham has some versatility as a TE/FB but so does Garner and he has been mentioned in MULTIPLE reports during OTA's and camp. Being younger (and cheaper) he could very well take Graham's spot on the roster. Same idea with Coble. While he was a bit light in college all reports thus far have indicated that he has caught the ball and done it well above average. Also in what is expected to be a 2 or 3 TE heavy offense we will need depth.

    OFFENSIVE LINE (9): Russell Okung, Ty Sambrailo, Matt Paradis, Max Garcia, Donald Stephenson, Michael Schofield, Dillon Day, Connor McGovern, Robert Myers Jr
    My thoughts are that Day makes the 53-man this season. I think he fits our mold and really did a great job during pre-season last year. I think he will also take it upon himself to cross train at his second position of Guard better and more this year to make him a more valuable asset to our team.


    Defense (25):

    DEFENSIVE LINE (7): Derek Wolfe, Jared Crick, Vance Walker, Adam Gotsis, Sylvester Williams, Darius Kilgo, Kenny Anunike.

    I am struggling to keep the balance on here of 3 NT & only 4 DE's. Wade Philips loves to rotate his guys in and out and with Crick not at 100% I cannot get myself to have the Broncos only keep 3 functioning DE's on the roster. IMO we likely release Taylor unless he wow's in Pre-season. I believe the Broncos will try and keep Kenny A. one last time and see what happens.

    LINEBACKERS (8): Von Miller, Brandon Marshall, DeMarcus Ware, Todd Davis, Corey Nelson, Shaquil Barrett, Shane Ray, Dekoda Watson

    I believe this will be our 2016 LB corps.


    DEFENSIVE BACKS (10): Chris Harris Jr., Aqib Talib, T.J. Ward, Darian Stewart, Bradley Roby, Kayvon Webster, Lorenzo Doss, Taurean Nixon, Justin Simmons, Will Parks

    I cannot see Keo making the roster this year. I think Parks takes his place. Keo also had the off-season incident which will likely be taken into account as well.


    Special teams (3):

    SPECIALISTS (3): PK Brandon McManus, P Riley Dixon, LS Casey Kreiter

    Unless Dixon makes major errors...Colquitt will not longer be on the team.



    Thoughts?

  • #2
    I still think Ziare Anderson makes the team over Watson. Also, WR is going to be the most competitive position of the entire roster.
    A healthy Kenneth Dixon is a top 5 NFL RB.

    Comment


    • #3
      Backers are valuable on STs. Last year Denver had nine of them on the roster. We'll see how many they keep this year.
      "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by crash123go View Post
        I still think Ziare Anderson makes the team over Watson. Also, WR is going to be the most competitive position of the entire roster.
        I was struggling with that one as well. Watson & Nelson are really the only two who could be fighting for that LB spot via Anderson. I was thinking we would try and stash him on the PS for one more season and then see who wins out. I am simply making this comment fro memory but didn't Watson also play Safety for a while? If so that could be a huge asset to him as he could in theory take up a spot and act as a backup player for us in a pinch at S - keeping in mind we had a number of injuries at that position last season.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by samparnell View Post
          Backers are valuable on STs. Last year Denver had nine of them on the roster. We'll see how many they keep this year.
          I agree and that is why I think we keep 10. Webster has seen work at both Safety and CB and our ST coach has specifically said in an interview that he wants to run a fast and quick to cover ST playbook on PR/KR. try and limit the number of run-backs and touch-backs when and if we can. Since the backers are quick not only would they fit his needs BUT they also fit the general look and needs of an NFL teams as passing the football is done so often now.

          Comment


          • #6
            Bennie Fowler was easily the 3rd bests WR last year. He's an absolute mismatch. 1000% he's on the roster..

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by samparnell View Post
              Backers are valuable on STs. Last year Denver had nine of them on the roster. We'll see how many they keep this year.
              Good post!!
              I too think Taylor will challenge Cody for his spot this year.
              However, with Cody ST play, it will be difficult for Kubes and company to cut Cody.
              Man I can't wait till TC begins. So much to look forward too.

              Comment


              • #8
                Oops sorry, was meant for Rich C. However I agree with your post as well Sam. ST play is mostly made up from speedy LBs. and I believe well we'll keep nine again this year.
                BTW, please get Von's contract done Elway. Thx lol

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Tarheel23 View Post
                  Bennie Fowler was easily the 3rd bests WR last year. He's an absolute mismatch. 1000% he's on the roster..
                  Originally posted by hawaiiiancrush View Post
                  Good post!!
                  I too think Taylor will challenge Cody for his spot this year.
                  However, with Cody ST play, it will be difficult for Kubes and company to cut Cody.
                  Man I can't wait till TC begins. So much to look forward too.
                  I agree with both items. Fowler last season was the 3rd best WR on the ACTIVE roster. Another thing I suppose I could see happening is that we do not keep Henry-Coble on the 53 man and instead move him to the PS to develop. That would allow for a guy like Taylor who'd height and route running are what you'd be looking for as a Pass-catching miss-match.

                  Latimer played an outstanding role on ST last season. SO yes while Fowler was perhaps the best #3 WR on the roster as a pure WR....Latimer in many respects, particularly near the end of the season really contributed to the teams success in a BIG BIG way. Now all we need form him to to take the next step at his roster position which is not ST ace.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Tarheel23 View Post
                    Bennie Fowler was easily the 3rd bests WR last year. He's an absolute mismatch. 1000% he's on the roster..
                    Bennie Fowler was a key STs player as well.
                    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by hawaiiiancrush View Post
                      Oops sorry, was meant for Rich C. However I agree with your post as well Sam. ST play is mostly made up from speedy LBs. and I believe well we'll keep nine again this year.
                      BTW, please get Von's contract done Elway. Thx lol
                      IF we were to do that then we'd need to likely take away form the other position groups. I'd suspect that the 10 DB's would then drop to 9....so by my approximation we'd then likely lose....Parks from the 53 man or we'd lose Webster or Nixon. Nixon form all accounts has made incredible leaps from his 1st year. Also of note he has wanted to be and asked to be used as a gunner because he is lightning fast. Webster is also quick and a hard hitter and has been another guy who really played well for us on ST and did pretty well when asked to play his natural position of CB.

                      The depth and how often we use these types of players on the roster is what is leading me to think we only keep 8 LB's and not 9. I think some of those DB's can fill the roles we would have otherwise used a LB for on ST. IF I may go as far as to say that I think Joe D even said as much...he wants to try and keep speed on both of his coverage units so they can start to implement plays which prevent them from simply just blasting a touch-back.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
                        IF we were to do that then we'd need to likely take away form the other position groups. I'd suspect that the 10 DB's would then drop to 9....so by my approximation we'd then likely lose....Parks from the 53 man or we'd lose Webster or Nixon. Nixon form all accounts has made incredible leaps from his 1st year. Also of note he has wanted to be and asked to be used as a gunner because he is lightning fast. Webster is also quick and a hard hitter and has been another guy who really played well for us on ST and did pretty well when asked to play his natural position of CB.

                        The depth and how often we use these types of players on the roster is what is leading me to think we only keep 8 LB's and not 9. I think some of those DB's can fill the roles we would have otherwise used a LB for on ST. IF I may go as far as to say that I think Joe D even said as much...he wants to try and keep speed on both of his coverage units so they can start to implement plays which prevent them from simply just blasting a touch-back.
                        While I agree on Cody playing his heart out on STs, he needs to step up in the position he was drafted for, I don't know if it was the PM effect on the kid or, he just couldn't grasp the playbook? We do know when Brock came in Cody was used more on the WR / slot roll and did catch a pass from Brock for a TD.
                        Then after BO got benched in the SD game, and PM came back, Cody was never to be seen except on STs again.
                        Hopefully this will be his breakout year.
                        As for Sunshine, he is a very crisp route runner, and has good hands according too PM. Along with other players on the team seem to suggest he is the real deal.

                        As for the LB position, I still think we keep 9, as Wade
                        Likes to keep his guys fresh, but I suppose you could keep 8 and accomplish keeping the LBs fresh, but should any injuries happen we would start getting a little thin in the LB department. I also agree with you on keeping Webster and Nixon, but if push come to shove, I would rather keep Webster than Nixon. As for Parks we must develop him for when TJ or Stewart leave, so I don't see him going anywhere except maybe the PS, but I'm afraid he would get pouched from there by another team.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by hawaiiiancrush View Post
                          While I agree on Cody playing his heart out on STs, he needs to step up in the position he was drafted for, I don't know if it was the PM effect on the kid or, he just couldn't grasp the playbook? We do know when Brock came in Cody was used more on the WR / slot roll and did catch a pass from Brock for a TD.
                          Then after BO got benched in the SD game, and PM came back, Cody was never to be seen except on STs again.
                          Hopefully this will be his breakout year.
                          As for Sunshine, he is a very crisp route runner, and has good hands according too PM. Along with other players on the team seem to suggest he is the real deal.

                          As for the LB position, I still think we keep 9, as Wade
                          Likes to keep his guys fresh, but I suppose you could keep 8 and accomplish keeping the LBs fresh, but should any injuries happen we would start getting a little thin in the LB department. I also agree with you on keeping Webster and Nixon, but if push come to shove, I would rather keep Webster than Nixon. As for Parks we must develop him for when TJ or Stewart leave, so I don't see him going anywhere except maybe the PS, but I'm afraid he would get pouched from there by another team.
                          I agree on the rotational part of Wade's system but we have a few guys on the roster right now who may very well fit well on the PS and we could easily pull them up onto the 53 man if need be. Elway has now finally shown that he can let go of a highish draft pick and move on. So if Taylor is playing better than Latimer then why not swap the two? Taylor in theory could also fit a role of a slot guy in place of a taller TE as well.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Anyone else think Bibbs has a chance to squeak in? I say give him all the reps in pre season and see where it goes.

                            I don't see Juwan doing a single thing that Andy Janovich can't do.
                            Last edited by Tarheel23; 07-09-2016, 10:15 AM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Tarheel23 View Post
                              Anyone else think Bibbs has a chance to squeak in? I say give him all the reps in pre season and see where it goes.

                              I don't see Juwan doing a single thing that Andy Janovich can't do.
                              Yep, I agree with you completely. I've never understood the hype for Thompson. But, at the same time, I don't really understand it with Bibbs either. However, Gary did give him some praise that he has looks like a whole new beast. So, hopefully that means he can take that third running back spot after C.J. and Booker. Then we can let Thompson and Hillman go. Unless, we keep 4 rb's on top of Andy.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X