Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Sanchez is cut, who would you like to see signed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
    To be honest we don't know what Siemian's growth potential is until it plays out. It might be up, or it could be sideways, we don't know. And until he gets into games against first team defenses and does it, we won't know. Just assuming that because he's young he's going to continue to get better, and even grow into an actual NFL starting QB doesn't necessarily make it so.

What happens if the Broncos go out and put up 77 total yards against the Panthers? You can't keep starting Siemian if that happens, and if Lynch is going to be ready for game 2, then there's no reason he shouldn't start game 1. But until the Broncos go out and either young QB proves that they can play in this league during the regular season, the Broncos have to have a veteran QB on the roster.
    I agree with keeping a veteran on the roster and i'm fine with it being Sanchez, at a cheaper price. I may be the only one here that thinks Lynch should be starting over Siemian. If you're going to let a young QB grow it might as well be the one you traded up to get in the first round. We've seen what Trevor has done playing with the 1's and he didn't set the world on fire. It would've been nice to see what Lynch could've done had he started rather than running for his life and throwing to guys who will be looking for new jobs in a few weeks. I find it hard to believe Elway traded up for Lynch so he could sit behind Trevor Siemian.

Comment

Originally posted by RainyTX View Post
      I agree with keeping a veteran on the roster and i'm fine with it being Sanchez, at a cheaper price. I may be the only one here that thinks Lynch should be starting over Siemian. If you're going to let a young QB grow it might as well be the one you traded up to get in the first round. We've seen what Trevor has done playing with the 1's and he didn't set the world on fire. It would've been nice to see what Lynch could've done had he started rather than running for his life and throwing to guys who will be looking for new jobs in a few weeks. I find it hard to believe Elway traded up for Lynch so he could sit behind Trevor Siemian.
      The way I see it, Kubiak has determined that Lynch is significantly behind, based on what he sees every day. He won't start Lynch until he decides that's changed.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertR View Post
        The way I see it, Kubiak has determined that Lynch is significantly behind, based on what he sees every day. He won't start Lynch until he decides that's changed.
        Yep, looks like that's where we're at. I just hope whoever it is doesn't wet the bed opening night against an angry Carolina team looking for revenge.

Comment

Originally posted by RainyTX View Post
          Yep, looks like that's where we're at. I just hope whoever it is doesn't wet the bed opening night against an angry Carolina team looking for revenge.
          I think we're all nervous about that game. Starting a QB who's never played in the regular season against the team we beat in the Super Bowl? Yikes!

Comment

Originally posted by AussieBronco76 View Post
            The truth is Siemian is not currently heads and shoulders above Sanchez..The general consensus is they around the same with Siemian being a little in front.But what you must realise is Siemians growth is on an upward spiral whilst Sanchez has little if any growth to come(thought Kubes system may help his Int's but so far not so).Looking to the futurre we also have Siemian for another two years after this on a very cheap 7th round valued contract.I think this time next year we are Looking at Siemian as a very competent bckup possibly starter as Lynch grows into a starter.
            There is an assumption that Siemian will continue improving. Only time will tell as he plays more...how he performs in regular season games, adversity and the grind. I'm somewhat encouraged by some of the plays he made but also concerned with some others. He'll have ups and downs. The very best make mistakes too.

Sure hope the upward spiral will happen...by September 8th

Comment

Originally posted by Taos_Broncomaniac View Post
              So we should cut someone who knows the playbook to pick up someone who already got cut somewhere else and doesn't know squat?

Sanchez is our best option should he have to play immediately. Actually, he is still the best option to start, we cannot instill chemistry with receivers overnight as some on here seem to think. Both QB's looked mediocre at best last night, Carolina will eat them alive. :2cents:
              TJ Yates would be the only guy that would know the playbook right now since he was in Kubiak softens before that I am to understand that he is nursing a torn ACL still.

Comment

Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
                No one. I see no benefit in having a veteran QB that does not know the playbook.

Ask Sanchez to take a pay cut or carry 2 QBs.
                Right. If Mark Sanchez is released, it will probably be because Kubiak has decided to go with two QBs, that his ball security issues will hurt the defense, and that Paxton Lynch is an adequate backup.
                "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

For the folks that claim Sanchez is our best option, I wonder if you realize how poorly he's looked in training camp. A lot of this debate seems to only focus on what he's done or hasn't done in the first two preseason games, but the fact is that he's been a turnover machine even in training camp practices. Lynch is far from ready, so let's not throw him to the wolves yet. As far as Siemian, he's shown that he's competent enough to run the system and he actually (obviously) knows the playbook better than Sanchez, which makes sense since he's already spent a year in Kubiak's system.

If Sanchez wasn't weighing 4.5 million against the cap, I think keeping him would be fine. But we can cut him, recoup a lot of that in cap savings, sign a veteran FA who we can get at much closer to the vet minimum, and work on getting Sanders locked up because that guy is more important to the future of this organization than Sanchez.

Let's face facts. We all are debating about this from a standpoint of getting back to the Super Bowl. I still have confidence we can make a push, but I think at this point it's less than a 50-50 proposition that we even make it back to the big game, much less win it. Lynch is the future, but he's not ready yet. He's still very raw. Throwing him into the mix would be a disaster.
                  Fire Rick Dennison - This Signature will stay until the worst playcaller in the NFL is gone.

Comment

I do not think any of us have that much faith in Sanchez atm but going into 2016 week 1 with two qbs who have a total of 1 nfl snap and 1 year of nfl experience is a bad idea.

Looking over the list of available qbs right now...really unless we convince someone to come out of retirement I just do not see any good options.
                    Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
                      I do not think any of us have that much faith in Sanchez atm but going into 2016 week 1 with two qbs who have a total of 1 nfl snap and 1 year of nfl experience is a bad idea.

Looking over the list of available qbs right now...really unless we convince someone to come out of retirement I just do not see any good options.
                      Johnny Manziel is available

But seriously, there are some better options out there atm, here's my short list of guys I'd bring in to workout for the 3rd spot:

TJ Yates
                      Josh Freeman
                      Matt Flynn
                      Tarvaris Jackson
                      Mike Vick

Most of these guys are less turnover prone than Sanchez. All of them could be had for much less than the 4.5 million that Sanchez is currently costing us (not to mention the 7th rounder next year). If I was GM and had my pick, I'd probably lean towards Jackson or Vick, both of whom actually have very good experience in similar systems.
                      Fire Rick Dennison - This Signature will stay until the worst playcaller in the NFL is gone.

Comment

So what if Sanchez knows the playbook...

He knew the Jets playbook and was bad when it was all said and done.

He knew the Eagles playbook and was bad when it was all said and done.

Now he knows the Broncos playbook and has been bad not only in preseason games but in practice, from most accounts.

There's no advantage in holding on to a bad veteran player with a history of bad play simply because he knows the playbook.

I'm with floridabroncos...I'd bring in Mike Vick and/or Tavaris Jackson as a better veteran option.

Comment

Tarvaris Jackson hasn't been signed because he was arrested this offseason for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon after he loaded the weapon pointed it at the woman and threatened to kill her. His football career is over

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                            Tarvaris Jackson hasn't been signed because he was arrested this offseason for aggravated assault with a deadly weapon after he loaded the weapon pointed it at the woman and threatened to kill her. His football career is over
                            Oh wow I didn't know that. Scratch him off my list then.

Comment

Originally posted by beastlyskronk View Post
                              Yeah, cross him off that list then lol. Vick is a better option than Sanchez, although obviously some will automatically cross him off their list because of his past transgressions. IMO he's atoned for his crimes, been an active proponent of humane treatment of animals since returning to the NFL, and still has the talent to play in this league. I can understand that some people want to retain Sanchez purely because he's got NFL experience and it's a legit worry having two QBs who have zero NFL throws in the regular season. However, there are cheaper and (IMO) better options out there that will save Denver money and will probably have a net zero drawback in terms of winning games. Sanchez has not done anything to separate himself from the QB crowd this preseason, which is inexcusable for an NFL vet when compared to two relatively inexperienced players.

Comment

This is such a tough call. Glad it is in Kubiak's hands and not mine.

I may not be a Sanchez fan, except as a one year backup at most. But handing over the team to two inexperienced QBs and only going with the two for the season is a brutal decision to make. The Broncos don't even have a fourth QB in camp or for the practice squad.

If Siemian or Lynch get injured they can't even have a third QB that can suit up, do they? Just can not see the Broncos cutting Sanchez and leaving themselves exposed like that. Kubiak and Elway would certainly be playing a bit of Riverboat Gambler to only go with the two.

What makes it even tougher to keep Sanchez is the likely loss of another quality player at another position that has the potential to be in Denver long term but is cut due to a short term need to keep Sanchez or another cheaper version on the roster.

Comment

Working...
                                X