Can the O-Line get it done?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can the O-Line get it done?

It seems for many years I have not felt confident in the offensive line. That being said, they got it done last year. As much as it pained me at times to watch Manning, his mastery of the game help the Broncos to do enough to win. Whether it's a turnover prone Sanchez, or either 1st time starter, I'm seriously concerned the offense can put up enough points.

The line play has been very spotty at best in the preseason, and the QB situation isn't going to be an easy road. I hope that the line can gel and give whoever is taking snaps upright.

Originally posted by Buckeye Bronco View Post
    It seems for many years I have not felt confident in the offensive line. That being said, they got it done last year. As much as it pained me at times to watch Manning, his mastery of the game help the Broncos to do enough to win. Whether it's a turnover prone Sanchez, or either 1st time starter, I'm seriously concerned the offense can put up enough points.

The line play has been very spotty at best in the preseason, and the QB situation isn't going to be an easy road. I hope that the line can gel and give whoever is taking snaps upright.
    On paper it should be better. Both RT and LT have been upgraded. Paradis and Gacia are more experienced. The O-line isn't a strength of the team, but I don't think it will be a huge liability the way it was last year.

Comment

All three guys have about a games worth of stats so far in the preseason

Lynch has been sacked 6 times, Sanchez 3 times, and Siemian 0 times. Siemian has a quick release and doesn't hold the ball too long, these are 2 things that can greatly help on o-line. Also why he the best choice to start at least until Lynch is ready or the o-line gels (the starting unit has barely played together thanks to injuries).

Look at last year as an example, Manning with all of his struggles was sacked 16 times, with less starts (7) Osweiler was sacked 23 times. Osweiler was on pace to be sacked 50+ times had he started all 16 games. Manning historically has made his o-lines look better than they were.

Comment

The starting O-Line is an upgrade over last year. There is even good depth at every spot except LT where it is average.

Kubiak said today that Ty Sambrailo may be able to return to practice next week. James Ferentz will be out a while after his knee scope. They may be inactive for the season opener. If Denver keeps nine O-Linemen, that would just leave them with the seven for game day. Connor McGovern has been practicing at Center and played the fourth quarter at that spot against the Rams.

Except for Russell Okung at Left Tackle and Matt Paradis at Center, all the others play multiple O-Line positions.

If Okung and Virgil Green can start every game this season, Denver's chances of winning the division go way up IMO.
        Last edited by samparnell; 08-30-2016, 09:02 PM. Reason: typo
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
          The starting O-Line is an upgrade over last year. There is even good depth at every spot except LT where it is average.

Kubiak said today that Ty Sambrailo may be able to return to practice next week. James Ferentz will be out a while after his knee scope. They may be inactive for the season opener. If Denver keeps none O-Linemen, that would just leave them with the seven for game day. Connor McGovern has been practicing at Center and played the fourth quarter at that spot against the Rams.

Except for Russell Okung at Left Tackle and Matt Paradis at Center, all the others play multiple O-Line positions.

If Okung and Virgil Green can start every game this season, Denver's chances of winning the division go way up IMO.
          If you had to with what you know of this O line as of now, where would you rank them in the league?
          Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post

Lynch has been sacked 6 times, Sanchez 3 times, and Siemian 0 times. Siemian has a quick release and doesn't hold the ball too long, these are 2 things that can greatly help on o-line. Also why he the best choice to start at least until Lynch is ready or the o-line gels (the starting unit has barely played together thanks to injuries).

Look at last year as an example, Manning with all of his struggles was sacked 16 times, with less starts (7) Osweiler was sacked 23 times. Osweiler was on pace to be sacked 50+ times had he started all 16 games. Manning historically has made his o-lines look better than they were.
            Siemian is used to playing behind a porous front line. I'm an NU alum and have seen all of his games. The NU coaching staff simply wasn't adjusting their play calling to match reality. They also got him injured. I saw his first game at Cal in person and he made some impressive long passes.

The NU offense did have a number of pass plays where he would throw before the receiver made his final cut. That worked well at times, not so much at other times. I expect the the Bronco staff will work that into the play book after he has more experience with the receivers.

He is not going to be an overpowering QB, but he could be an improvement over last year. One knock against him in college play was that he never got overly emotional during the game. That helps when things go badly, but it doesn't serve to rouse the rest of the team.

I think he could be a good QB for the Broncos. I sure hope so.

Comment

As bad is the line was last season I have to believe that the coaches know it was an area desperately needing improvement. With cuts coming up it will be interesting to see if they add another player and who they swap out. I would think Dillon Day may be the focus of upgrade. He seems to get beat more than a recycled pinata.
              sigpic

Comment

I share some of your concern. Good on you for posting this.

I have said this a few times this offseason, that our O is going to either be effective or slightly ineffective depending on our Oline. Sure, the talk is always going to be about QBs, especially this year, but when I factor everything in, if our Oline has improved, we have a decent shot at scoring at least average points, and with our D, average points will translate to lots of wins.

But I do feel like we have made some improvement, and it will all come down to the health of these men, including Okung and Sambrailo. But I like what we did in the offseason, acquiring Okung and Stephenson and drafting McGovern. So the parts are all there, and it's the old, "time to gel" period.

Again, I am not overly confident in our QB situation, because you can not hand the ball to these young dudes and expect them to be overly proficient at one of the hardest jobs in all of sports. We would be foolish to believe that it's that easy. It's not. There are only so many good NFL QBs around, and most are not that young.

But good protection, and strong blocking for a decent group of RBs will go a long way to making us successful.

All in all, I will be a little more comfortable watching our D take the field initially......and hey, nothing wrong with loving some great Defensive ball!!
                Last edited by CanDB; 08-30-2016, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
                  If you had to with what you know of this O line as of now, where would you rank them in the league?
                  I don't know enough about all the other O-Lines to make that judgement. Chemistry make take a while. When the season is over, rushing ypa and sacks allowed will provide a basis for ranking.

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
                    As bad is the line was last season I have to believe that the coaches know it was an area desperately needing improvement. With cuts coming up it will be interesting to see if they add another player and who they swap out. I would think Dillon Day may be the focus of upgrade. He seems to get beat more than a recycled pinata.
                    I can recycle those? :doh:

Comment

Darn well better get it done. >:

Comment

We haven't had a good OL since 08. McDummy's transition to his power scheme messed everything up. Also, Manning's quick release really did make average players look good.

Comment

Former Bronco practice squad G Vinston Painter just got cut. Many were upset when he was plucked off our practice squad. Maybe a reunion, we could use the help?

Comment

Originally posted by kona bronco View Post
                            Former Bronco practice squad G Vinston Painter just got cut. Many were upset when he was plucked off our practice squad. Maybe a reunion, we could use the help?
                            Erik Pears was released by the Niners, too. If Sambrailo doesn't go on IR, Denver may not sign another O-Lineman. Weems has been cleared on the concussuion protocol.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post

Agree on the Manning comments but on the Lynch ones he has yet to play with the better WRS, RBS and oline...all factor into sacks. I understand why Kubiak did what he did but it didn't allow for a good evaluation of Lynch...Imo

Comment

Working...
                              X