Gary Kubiak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Livinthelife View Post
    I guess if that culture included lack of discipline, no accountability and settling for division championships, none of which a dominant Super Bowl winning team has. If anything, Kubiak cleansed the locker room of John Fox, again of which, Elway is on record stating.
    Good was to nitpick one snippet and create a context that wasn't there. When he took over the head coaching job, the team and franchise were in complete disarray. And Elway coming in was seen as a last gasp effort to try to save a sinking ship. NO ONE in football took the Elway hire seriously. Everyone figured he would be no better than Dan Marino or Jim Kelley as just HOF figureheads of their respective team. Then word got out that Elway was consulting with Accorsi and eyebrows perked up. Now all through this process, he was interviewing a number of candidates. But Fox was the brightest star, because he wasn't going to make waves, everybody likes him, and he's very well respected. He brought a stability that we hadn't had in almost a decade.

That's why Fox was a major piece in what we are now. How things ended with him were a far cry from where they started in the spring of 2011. We can rabble, rabble after the fact hearing how things went sour. And talk how much we disliked him. And I'm sure that blurb had more to it. But Elway hired him for one reason and he did that until it was obvious to all parties that he couldn't take us any further.

I'm not saying he should go down as one of the greatest coaches in Bronco history. But he did a heck of a job working us from the 4-12 dumpster fire to 8-8 and winning the division with Tebow. You can't selectively take credit away from someone when it fits your opinion.
    #swapping

Comment

I still do not think Kubes gets enough credit for what he did last year. Worth the Wait talks about a lot of the coaching challenges. To be fair it was not just Kubes but his other coaches as well.

Evan Mathis said the personalities in the locker room in 2015 would have eaten Chip Kelly alive. That is another thing about Kubes... he lets players and coaches be themselves yet still gets them all on the same team path.

I had little doubt the offense would be a lot better in 2016. Time will tell how much better it is.

Kubes was definitely made to be a Denver Bronco head coach. Lot of HCs do not do very well their first time as HC. Read Kubes say he learned a lot in Baltimore....which speaks volumes if you consider all the places Kubes has been...all the success he has had...yet he is still learning even as OC in Balt.

Kubes resume as a player and coach is pretty darn impressive.
      Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Originally posted by flosstein View Post
        Good was to nitpick one snippet and create a context that wasn't there. When he took over the head coaching job, the team and franchise were in complete disarray. And Elway coming in was seen as a last gasp effort to try to save a sinking ship. NO ONE in football took the Elway hire seriously. Everyone figured he would be no better than Dan Marino or Jim Kelley as just HOF figureheads of their respective team. Then word got out that Elway was consulting with Accorsi and eyebrows perked up. Now all through this process, he was interviewing a number of candidates. But Fox was the brightest star, because he wasn't going to make waves, everybody likes him, and he's very well respected. He brought a stability that we hadn't had in almost a decade.

That's why Fox was a major piece in what we are now. How things ended with him were a far cry from where they started in the spring of 2011. We can rabble, rabble after the fact hearing how things went sour. And talk how much we disliked him. And I'm sure that blurb had more to it. But Elway hired him for one reason and he did that until it was obvious to all parties that he couldn't take us any further.

I'm not saying he should go down as one of the greatest coaches in Bronco history. But he did a heck of a job working us from the 4-12 dumpster fire to 8-8 and winning the division with Tebow. You can't selectively take credit away from someone when it fits your opinion.
        IIRC two of the finalists for the HC job in 2011 were John Fox and Rick Dennison. If I'm not mistaken, Pat Bowlen was still involved in the process at that time. Of course, Gary Kubiak was not available at that time because he was HC in Houston.

When Kubiak was fired after the 2013 season I thought Elway might get him then, but he went to Baltimore as OC with Dennison (QBs) and Pariani (TEs) as offensive assistants for 2014. Wade Phillips was out of coaching in 2014.

NFLN's Worth the Wait was pretty cool as it included the assistants Kubiak had in Houston who ended up with him in Denver (Dennison, Phillips, Kollar, Herring, Knapp, Pariani).
        "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Originally posted by dizzolve View Post
          I think John Fox is too nice a guy to put foot to throat. He was really kind of fun to have around for a couple years. And the players liked him.

Seems to me though, to win your last game of the season, you gotta keep everyone pointed in the right direction - not sure any Mr Nice-guy would be capable of that. Not when we're talking about a world championship. Gotta be willing to do what needs to be done even if it pisses people off around you. And even if you're asking people to do something they may not want to. Can you imagine John Fox benching Manning? No Way

So when it comes to being a great guy John Fox is delightful. It's just not enough to win it all.

Now it could be possible that in like it took Kubiak to get a GM like Elway, maybe Fox needs his GM that he's compatible with - who knows. A lot of stars have to align to win it all. It's amazing to me how John and Kubiak are able to move stars around [pun intended ]
          Totally disagree that you can't be nice but also have the right mentality when it comes to coaching and pointing you guys in the right direction. Do you know who Tom Osborne is?

Disregard if I misunderstood your message. If you only meant too nice to the opposing team. Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Hadez View Post
            I still do not think Kubes gets enough credit for what he did last year. Worth the Wait talks about a lot of the coaching challenges. To be fair it was not just Kubes but his other coaches as well.

Evan Mathis said the personalities in the locker room in 2015 would have eaten Chip Kelly alive. That is another thing about Kubes... he lets players and coaches be themselves yet still gets them all on the same team path.

I had little doubt the offense would be a lot better in 2016. Time will tell how much better it is.

Kubes was definitely made to be a Denver Bronco head coach. Lot of HCs do not do very well their first time as HC. Read Kubes say he learned a lot in Baltimore....which speaks volumes if you consider all the places Kubes has been...all the success he has had...yet he is still learning even as OC in Balt.

Kubes resume as a player and coach is pretty darn impressive.
            I went to a UNM coaching clinic when Rocky Long was HC and Brian Urlacher was playing there. Rocky invited Brian's HS coach, Speedy Faith, to be a presenter. His topic was coaching staff chemistry. He used personality types and related how it's necessary to balance those of assistant coaches. It was a cool presentation with lots of laughs along the way.

I thought of that when I watched Worth the Wait. That's a pretty cool bunch of assistant coaches Kubiak has assembled. I think Bill Kollar had to be released from Houston to come to Denver. They seem to work well together, and Kubiak seems to have their loyalty. Football coaching is staff intensive from HS on up, and success depends on it. Denver seems to be very stable in this area. I don't see any of them leaving soon.
            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Kubiak is a great head coach! He has always been good at the game of football, as a player he just didn't have the superstar athletic ability and was Elway's backup. It seems his natural fit is coaching more so than being a player/QB and he has a very good START for a superstar resume.
              sigpic

Comment

I full heartedly believe Kubs is more involved with the Front Office decisions than he was in Texas also. I'm glad Texans let him go so we could scoop him up. I never thought Fox was bad, but I didn't like a lot of things he did. I don't know, just something about his persona. That and he reminds me a lot of Rodney Dangerfield, so I could never take him serious. Hopefully he can mange this team a lot longer than our prior coaches.

Last edited by BroncosIsWin; 09-13-2016, 07:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncos-R-Great View Post
                  Oh lord, when will you guys stop quoting drunken Jim Irsay's Star Wars comment???

The guy was just pissed the Broncos built a better team around Manning than he ever could. And now we quote it likes its some kind of real thing, and not just the ramblings of a drunk fool.
                  Uh...no. I was using what has become a sarcastic slang term. Kick back, drink a beer, relax, and try not to take yourself so seriously. I can promise you that no one else does.
                  Adopt-A-Bronco: Jonathon Cooper

Comment

Working...
                  X