Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's nice to have optimism but...

We have problems..

#1 We have hardly any push on the interior defensive line. This is perhaps the biggest issue here, we really REALLY needed Malik Jackson to resign or bring in someone who can emulate what he did. When you don't have push on the inside but have tons of pressure on the outside you create a natural pocket for the QB. This is how Tom Brady used to destroy us prior to having Jackson all up in his grill. I am really not trying to second guess the 'bear wrestler' here but I don't think Gotsis was the guy we should have picked. When M. Jackson was a rookie you could just see he was going to be something special, he flashed even during the preseason. I haven't seen Gotsis flash anything, in any pro game... I hope I am wrong, I really do...

#2 Our run defense is suspect. I'm sorry but when a guy like Pot Roast is out there, you have to go and get him.
    Our run defense is not very good, The 49ers exposed it a little during the preseason game three, but people wanted to say it was because "It's the preseason" well last night the Panthers ran all over us as well. This will continue unless we do something to address the interior line (them again) during obvious run downs...

#3 The Offensive line was pretty good last night but Garcia, not so much... I don't know if we wanted to just move on past E.Mathis or he wanted to much money or what. But I know Mathis will be missed, Denver should have went after Sitton when he was cut by the Packers. M. Schofield even looks to be a better guard then Garcia, if Garcia doesn't step it up I look for them to turn to C.McGovern REAL soon.

Anyways these are just my observations and while I know people will be like "It's to early" and what not, I am more of a proactive person. I see issues that more then likely need to be fixed before they become major issues.. Case in point when I pointed out that we needed to insert C.Harris to replace T.Porter back in 12. And how we need to take out horrible Joe Mays and replace him with W. Woodyard back in the day as well.

I think our Offensive Line will end up being one of the better in football this year. They blew the best front 7 in football off the ball. Pretty stellar. So, I don't agree with your assessment on Garcia. I think he'll be fine once he settles in.

I do however agree with your #2. I mentioned in another thread before the game that run defense was going to be an issue for us this year and that would be the only thing that would hold the defense back. Although last night showed that not getting interior pressure is going to be a problem as well, it seems. Malik Jackson was phenomenal in both aspects. He will be missed.

Hopefully they'll get some of it cleaned up and someone like Gotsis will emerge. Not sure how I feel about Pot Roast. He doesn't fit the scheme, but maybe he can be put on an island and clog some interior gaps. I'd love to hear what Sam thinks about that potential pickup.

Comment

Originally posted by SammyWinder View Post
      We have problems..

#1 We have hardly any push on the interior defensive line. This is perhaps the biggest issue here, we really REALLY needed Malik Jackson to resign or bring in someone who can emulate what he did. When you don't have push on the inside but have tons of pressure on the outside you create a natural pocket for the QB. This is how Tom Brady used to destroy us prior to having Jackson all up in his grill. I am really not trying to second guess the 'bear wrestler' here but I don't think Gotsis was the guy we should have picked. When M. Jackson was a rookie you could just see he was going to be something special, he flashed even during the preseason. I haven't seen Gotsis flash anything, in any pro game... I hope I am wrong, I really do...

#2 Our run defense is suspect. I'm sorry but when a guy like Pot Roast is out there, you have to go and get him.
      Our run defense is not very good, The 49ers exposed it a little during the preseason game three, but people wanted to say it was because "It's the preseason" well last night the Panthers ran all over us as well. This will continue unless we do something to address the interior line (them again) during obvious run downs...

#3 The Offensive line was pretty good last night but Garcia, not so much... I don't know if we wanted to just move on past E.Mathis or he wanted to much money or what. But I know Mathis will be missed, Denver should have went after Sitton when he was cut by the Packers. M. Schofield even looks to be a better guard then Garcia, if Garcia doesn't step it up I look for them to turn to C.McGovern REAL soon.

Anyways these are just my observations and while I know people will be like "It's to early" and what not, I am more of a proactive person. I see issues that more then likely need to be fixed before they become major issues.. Case in point when I pointed out that we needed to insert C.Harris to replace T.Porter back in 12. And how we need to take out horrible Joe Mays and replace him with W. Woodyard back in the day as well.
      1. We did miss Malik, but the Panthers have some of the best interior offensive line play in the NFL. Let's see how things go the rest of the season. However, if we paid Malik, we would also have to give up other pieces.

2. Our run defense did struggle a bit, but this was the best running team in the NFL last year. Many of their yards came from the qb that you won't get against most teams and on a long end around play.

3. Garcia struggles in pass protection, but no issue with his run blocking. The panthers are not an easy front 7 to block. A few missed blocks are bound to happen.

Anyway, of course there are issues. No one on these boards said that we played a perfect game. I think most people just realize that it's the first game of the season, so things will be coached up and we'll keep getting better, hopefully.

Comment

Wolfe and Marshall got banged up. I agree we are going to miss MJ this year, knew that when he signed with Jax; however, lets remember who we were playing. Panthers were the #2 rushing team in the NFL last year for a reason. Add on top of that some poor 1st half tackling and how it improved in the 2nd half, I think we will be okay.

Not like any RB went off on us, Ginn on a trick play and Cam pretty much accounted for half their rush yards.
        Ravens GM 2016 - Ravens are looking to trade down 4-8 spots

Comment

When I see the insane amount of cap room we're gonna be having in the future, I can't help but wonder if we should have just brought Malik back. No question he is gonna be missed and I hope it doesn't end up costing us big time. We were kind of getting by by the skin of our teeth before, now we are adding a more susceptible run defense to the mix.

If he can still play, bring back Pot Roast! Whats a few cap dollars for a vet if it helps us win games.
          You've got to know when to sack em...

Comment

We have problems..

I don't think you can say we have problems yet. It was one game against probably the best offense we're going to face and probably one of the 3 best front seven's in the league. We'll be ok.
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Freestyle View Post
              When I see the insane amount of cap room we're gonna be having in the future, I can't help but wonder if we should have just brought Malik back. No question he is gonna be missed and I hope it doesn't end up costing us big time. We were kind of getting by by the skin of our teeth before, now we are adding a more susceptible run defense to the mix.

If he can still play, bring back Pot Roast! Whats a few cap dollars for a vet if it helps us win games.
              I actually wouldn't be surprised at all if we pick him up this week.
              sigpic

Comment

We have problems..

Last year Carolina had the leagues #2 best rushing attack, I would at least see how we hold up vs Indy who does not run the ball first before I would call it a problem. ( I remember KC running the ball pretty well vs. us week 2 last year).

Do you think the Carolina has issues vs the run too?
                If you only base it on that one game you would have to say the Panthers who have an elite front seven also have a problem vs the run and they didn't face an offense with a Qb who added 54 yards rushing.
                sigpic

Comment

Before the Super Bowl I thought the only chance Carolina had offensively was to run the ball. Last night they did and would have stuck with it until they fell behind on the scoreboard. They fell behind because Denver's O started taking care of the ball and ran the ball themselves with two rushing TDs.

If the coaching staff feels the run D is a personnel issue, we'll see some movement there. Losing Vance Walker was bad. Gotsis will take time to get up to speed. Wade predominantly plays gap control/spill run D. It may be an assignment/technique issue and, if so, can be corrected with no personnel change.

O-Line including Max looked good to me. They will improve as they gain cohesion.
                  "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

Comment

"First-world problems".

Originally posted by Freestyle View Post
                      When I see the insane amount of cap room we're gonna be having in the future, I can't help but wonder if we should have just brought Malik back.
                      We will miss Malik Jackson, but I think it was unreasonable to expect Elway to give Jackson $42 million guaranteed after Wolfe signed for $17.5 million guaranteed. The Jaguars had to reach the spending floor requirement to comply with the CBA and Jackson was a beneficiary.
                      sigpic

Comment

We have problems..

Keep in mind we went up against the 2nd best team in the NFL-- the Superbowl runners up, and got the win. With all the imperfections you point out, and you do have valid points, we still got the win. There are 31 other teams you could write lengthier criticisms about.
                        sigpic

Comment

I totally agree with the interior pressure part. That was a huge key for our rushers. That's exactly why Brady killed us before.....

I hope it's just becuase we played a very good team and it was the opener...
                          sigpic

Comment

It's not the worst thing in the world psychologically

When you think about it - all NFL teams preach improvement week to week. And when a team does improve there is a positive vibe that pervades throughout.

There's plenty of room to improve. And they're winning while doing it. Not bad at all so long as we do improve -which I believe with these coaches..... we will
                            The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

The interior pressure is a problem but Gotsis can help with that. He was actually pretty good at getting pressure in the preseason just couldn't anchor against the run. Maybe bring back Antonio Smith until he gets up to speed.

I disagree about the run defense. Most teams aren't going to run the read option and that's what was hurting us. Even then Stewart only had 4 ypc, even less on runs that weren't read option. Hard to contain Cam when he runs but that's probably one of the best efforts you'll see against him all season.

Max Garcia was fine. Playing against a top DT in Short and 2 first rounders in Lotulelei and Butler isn't easy but he did a good job opening holes in the run game.

Comment

Working...
                              X