No announcement yet.

It's nice to have optimism but...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gotta feel good about the opener. QB play was as expected - I think Siemian will improve over the season, and we'll be fine there. Run game was significantly improved compared to our last outing against Carolina. Secondary is still great, and the defense as a whole is still nasty. The Vance Walker injury was a big one after losing Malik (who is a good player being paid like a franchise defender), and the interior pressure and run stopping will be challenged by teams like Pitt and of course Brady. But that's about all I'm worried about at this point. There are only a handful of teams that can exploit weakness in the middle, and we just beat one of them. We're in a good spot.

Comment

Since, there was a lot of pessimism about Booker, I have a thought/question on one of the plays he's being totally knocked for.

I don't understand why people are blaming Booker for the second Interception that Trevor threw. Even if he was supposed to pick up the blitzer, he was running a play action fake to the left side of the bronco formation. The blitzer came from the right side of the formation. I promise I understand that he most likely should have at least made an effort to see the blitzer, but I just don't understand how he's expected to make that block without running through Trevor during the play action process. So, I have to wonder if a different protection should be called there or if they just picked the perfect blitz for that play. But, I still don't see how it's completely on Booker there.

I just know that during my time as a running back, I was never once asked to run a fake to one side of the formation and be completely responsible for a blitzer on the right side of the formation. In college, we ran a lot of zone as well. It was a tad different, because we ran much of our stuff out of shotgun, instead of under center. But, I personally think it'd be easier to make that adjustment from shotgun, because the play action is quicker. I do know that more is expected out of NFL guys than the small level I was at though, as well. I don't know though. Just trying to give Booker the benefit of the doubt here I guess.

Comment

Originally posted by MHSalute View Post
        Wolfe and Marshall got banged up. I agree we are going to miss MJ this year, knew that when he signed with Jax; however, lets remember who we were playing. Panthers were the #2 rushing team in the NFL last year for a reason. Add on top of that some poor 1st half tackling and how it improved in the 2nd half, I think we will be okay.

Not like any RB went off on us, Ginn on a trick play and Cam pretty much accounted for half their rush yards.
        Well if we kept Malik, we wouldnt have Stephenson or Okung at T, both huge upgrades from last year.

Doubt we keep CJ.

Same with Sanders on a long-term deal, as well as Marshall.

The reason we have some extra cap space going forward is letting guys like Malik, Brock, and Danny walk. Good teams cant overpay everyone to insane contracts or they get in cap hell.

We miss Walker more so, he was poised for a huge year before going down. The DL is a major need this offseason though.

Comment

Originally posted by the0rangecrush View Post
          Looking around the league, I would see if Arizona was interested in moving Calais Campell. Both he and Chandler Jones are impending FA, and Jones will be pricey. They also just drafted Nkemdiche.
          Arizona is in win now mode, we can look at Calais this offseason if he hits the market.

Comment

Yea our interior pressure was non exsistent. I was hoping to hear Wolfe's name a little more, but I didnt. If we plan on having any type of chance at a repeat we need that presence from our DL.

On the plus side, our offense looked head and shoulders better than last year. The balanced attacked was a sight to see. We were walking the ball down the field and didn't even take deep shots. Our run game was amazing, and Siemian made some nice throws. I would, however, like to see some deep shots when DT is healthy.

I liked the fact we didn't have any unsportsmanlike penalties, but the untimely penalties were still there whether they were legit or not is irrelevant.
            Jacksonville Jaguars Broncomania GM:

Comment

Denver allowed 86 yards, 4.5 yards/run on 19 first downs. The OP noted "obvious run downs" - with Cam's ability to run or pass he is difficult to account for - not sure any play is obvious to defend with Cam.

Losing Vance Walker presents a challenge however I think Gotsis can improve - one game and he was building from torn ACL in the off-season. Gotsis started camp with individual work and still has little experience.

The first round pick was used for Paxton - had we not drafted him I think we would have drafted higher for the offensive line. There was a lot of talent at DE however we had Vance.

Not saying the defensive line doesn't need to improve - I just think it's early to judge. Expecting them to repeat SB50 performance would not be realistic IMHO. Still held Carolkna to 20 points - let's see how other defenses hold Carolina.

Comment

Originally posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
                Since, there was a lot of pessimism about Booker, I have a thought/question on one of the plays he's being totally knocked for.

I don't understand why people are blaming Booker for the second Interception that Trevor threw. Even if he was supposed to pick up the blitzer, he was running a play action fake to the left side of the bronco formation. The blitzer came from the right side of the formation. I promise I understand that he most likely should have at least made an effort to see the blitzer, but I just don't understand how he's expected to make that block without running through Trevor during the play action process. So, I have to wonder if a different protection should be called there or if they just picked the perfect blitz for that play. But, I still don't see how it's completely on Booker there.

I just know that during my time as a running back, I was never once asked to run a fake to one side of the formation and be completely responsible for a blitzer on the right side of the formation. In college, we ran a lot of zone as well. It was a tad different, because we ran much of our stuff out of shotgun, instead of under center. But, I personally think it'd be easier to make that adjustment from shotgun, because the play action is quicker. I do know that more is expected out of NFL guys than the small level I was at though, as well. I don't know though. Just trying to give Booker the benefit of the doubt here I guess.
                I'm not trying to put it all on Booker, but that's something I've seen Hillman do quite often. If he recognized the blitz (he didn't) he should've completely abandoned the fake and went straight to the gap where the blitz came from. But he didn't recognize it because he didn't make any effort to get back and protect if I remember correctly

Comment

Siemian shouldn't have thrown it. He knew he couldn't step into the throw
                  sigpic
                  Thank you to my grandfather jetrazor for being a veteran of the armed forces!

Comment

Originally posted by Al Wilson 4 Mayor View Post
                    Siemian shouldn't have thrown it. He knew he couldn't step into the throw
                    Maybe. I've watched that replay a bunch, and it looks like Siemian had plenty of arm to throw that further even on his back foot. It more looked like he tried to finesse that in over the corners head and misjudged it because it's hard to throw accurately without two feet planted.

It needed to have some velocity if it were to be a TD, because that safety was coming in and would have probably knocked that ball down if it had air on it with accuracy.
                    "He's going to be the #1 receiver, and is going to be a star in this league for a long time" Todd Mcshay on Jerry Jeudy

Comment

There are issues, but to be fair; all teams have issues and all SB winners have there issues. It is how they come together as a team that matters the most. You can bet the Broncos will be tested every week. There is not one team on our schedule that does not have us circled.
                      sigpic

Comment

http://www.denverbroncos.com/multime...d-837fcb1e3189

Comment

Originally posted by SammyWinder View Post
                          We have problems..

#1 We have hardly any push on the interior defensive line. This is perhaps the biggest issue here, we really REALLY needed Malik Jackson to resign or bring in someone who can emulate what he did. When you don't have push on the inside but have tons of pressure on the outside you create a natural pocket for the QB. This is how Tom Brady used to destroy us prior to having Jackson all up in his grill. I am really not trying to second guess the 'bear wrestler' here but I don't think Gotsis was the guy we should have picked. When M. Jackson was a rookie you could just see he was going to be something special, he flashed even during the preseason. I haven't seen Gotsis flash anything, in any pro game... I hope I am wrong, I really do...

#2 Our run defense is suspect. I'm sorry but when a guy like Pot Roast is out there, you have to go and get him.
                          Our run defense is not very good, The 49ers exposed it a little during the preseason game three, but people wanted to say it was because "It's the preseason" well last night the Panthers ran all over us as well. This will continue unless we do something to address the interior line (them again) during obvious run downs...

#3 The Offensive line was pretty good last night but Garcia, not so much... I don't know if we wanted to just move on past E.Mathis or he wanted to much money or what. But I know Mathis will be missed, Denver should have went after Sitton when he was cut by the Packers. M. Schofield even looks to be a better guard then Garcia, if Garcia doesn't step it up I look for them to turn to C.McGovern REAL soon.

Anyways these are just my observations and while I know people will be like "It's to early" and what not, I am more of a proactive person. I see issues that more then likely need to be fixed before they become major issues.. Case in point when I pointed out that we needed to insert C.Harris to replace T.Porter back in 12. And how we need to take out horrible Joe Mays and replace him with W. Woodyard back in the day as well.
                          I made this thread after game ONE and everyone pretty much disagreed with me...

Maybe you guys will see know I just might know what I am talking about..

I'm just saying, you could see our issues in Game 3 of the preseason, I have no idea why the coaches or a lot of the fans choose to ignore them...

Maybe I should apply for a NFL coaching position since I seem to be pretty spot on about a lot of personnel choices teams make...

Comment

Working...
                          X