Tired of Jordan Norwood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by listopencil View Post
    That's hard to believe, and I hope it's not true. I just checked the roster on http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster.html and I don't know how accurate it is...but: We've been carrying six WR's on the roster and now we have seven. We have five CB's on the roster. We have four Safeties on the roster. That's fifteen guys. So, OK, maybe you don't want WR1/2/3 or CB 1/2 or Safety 1/2 doing returns. That's seven out of fifteen guys. And honestly I don't think putting WR3 out there is such a big deal because we don't seem to have one that we couldn't afford to lose. But you also have to pick a guy who is going to be on the active roster, so scratch one of the WR's anyway if you want. So...six out of fourteen guys that you don't want to put out there. Norwood is the best out of the eight guys left? That's a huge Special Teams coaching fail.
    Replacing Norwood can be done. Doing so won't address the bigger issue. The offense fails to move the ball too often which results in poor field position. We punt and give the ball to our opponents with good field position. When the defense forces a punt we're almost always returning from deep. Sure there have been bad decisions to not get a touchback and lack of returns. Going into the NO game the Broncos had 42% of drives without a 1st down, worst in the NFL.

So Kubiak can replace Norwood but that can only fix so much.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
      Replacing Norwood can be done. Doing so won't address the bigger issue. The offense fails to move the ball too often which results in poor field position. We punt and give the ball to our opponents with good field position. When the defense forces a punt we're almost always returning from deep. Sure there have been bad decisions to not get a touchback and lack of returns. Going into the NO game the Broncos had 42% of drives without a 1st down, worst in the NFL.

Exactly. 3&Outs are the most under-appreciated stat in the NFL. They are critically important. For a defense, it is as good as turnover. For an offense it is as bad a turnover. But Norwood giving us a fair catch at the 6 yard line makes a 3&Out substantially worse.

Comment

• Originally posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
        Exactly. 3&Outs are the most under-appreciated stat in the NFL. They are critically important. For a defense, it is as good as turnover. For an offense it is as bad a turnover. But Norwood giving us a fair catch at the 6 yard line makes a 3&Out substantially worse.
        During KC game the commentators said the Broncos are the #1 scoring offense in the 4th quarter. They need to find a way to get going in the 1st quarter/half.

Comment

• Originally posted by listopencil View Post
          That's hard to believe, and I hope it's not true. I just checked the roster on http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/roster.html and I don't know how accurate it is...but: We've been carrying six WR's on the roster and now we have seven. We have five CB's on the roster. We have four Safeties on the roster. That's fifteen guys. So, OK, maybe you don't want WR1/2/3 or CB 1/2 or Safety 1/2 doing returns. That's seven out of fifteen guys. And honestly I don't think putting WR3 out there is such a big deal because we don't seem to have one that we couldn't afford to lose. But you also have to pick a guy who is going to be on the active roster, so scratch one of the WR's anyway if you want. So...six out of fourteen guys that you don't want to put out there. Norwood is the best out of the eight guys left? That's a huge Special Teams coaching fail.
          Denver as an organization hasn't prioritized returners since Holliday. The HC has final say on who an STC can use or can't use on the teams, and ultimately only so many guys will have done it or will have the skills necessary to do it.

If Norwood is the best (only?) return option they have on PR that's ultimately on the GM and HC, not the STC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
            Denver as an organization hasn't prioritized returners since Holliday. The HC has final say on who an STC can use or can't use on the teams, and ultimately only so many guys will have done it or will have the skills necessary to do it.

If Norwood is the best (only?) return option they have on PR that's ultimately on the GM and HC, not the STC.
            I think Elway and Kubiak have the same eyes as us and will make draft choices that addresses the problems we have had this year. Being o line and special teams
            Last edited by TheAsianPA; 12-02-2016, 01:02 PM.
            Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

• The fact is, we need a legit return man. When was the last time we actually had one? Darrien Gordon?
              At least someone that won't drop the ball or fumble on the regular.

Comment

• Originally posted by Broncodoodle View Post
                The fact is, we need a legit return man. When was the last time we actually had one? Darrien Gordon?
                At least someone that won't drop the ball or fumble on the regular.
                I don't think Norwood has been good by any stretch, but this weekend was his first lost fumble of his career. I think he's always been there because he's usually a safe option that doesn't give the ball away by dropping many punts. We've certainly had issues with that over the years.

Before the KC game, Norwood was even top 10 in average return yards per punt (of the 30 players with at least 15 punt returns). I get the frustration, but he's not nearly as awful as many seem to think.

Comment

• Kalif Raymond was promoted today to be the new returner and now the Broncos have EIGHT WRs on the 53-man roster.

Raymond is probably taking Andy Janovich's spot.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by -Rod- View Post
                    Kalif Raymond was promoted today to be the new returner and now the Broncos have EIGHT WRs on the 53-man roster.
                    Unbelievable, especially when you consider how rarely they line up with 3 or more receivers.

Comment

Kalif Raymond was promoted today to be the new returner and now the Broncos have EIGHT WRs on the 53-man roster.

Wow

I wonder if any of them can block
                      My Boss is a Jewish Carpenter

Comment

• Yup. When they signed Marlon Brown without cutting any WR I already raised my eyebrows. Now there are 8 WRs on the roster and Kubiak just said both Norwood and Raymond will play Sunday.
                        sigpic

Comment

Wait. I thought Kubiak never changes and always sticks with the same player for some reason

Comment

Yup. When they signed Marlon Brown without cutting any WR I already raised my eyebrows. Now there are 8 WRs on the roster and Kubiak just said both Norwood and Raymond will play Sunday.
                            Sounds like we have left the run game in the dust...unless he plans for half of these receivers to block all game long?
                            Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

• Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post

Right. We have bigger problems on Offense. But we really can't afford to be deficient on Defense or Special Teams because of those problems. So if making one roster move can improve ST field position then I'm all for it.
                              Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

• Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post

If that's true then I blame Elway for not leaning on Kubiak harder, I blame Kubiak for not making the change, and I blame our ST coach as well for not having the group play better as a whole.
                                Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

Working...
                                X