No announcement yet.

Tired of Jordan Norwood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My problem is he is always trying to run it out of the end zone, while calling a fair catch inside the 15. Makes no since at all!
    sigpic

Comment

Jordan Norwood had/has a slow 40 time sure, but he had the fastest 3-cone & shuttle of all WRs at the Combine that year. The definition of "quick, not fast". Quickness as a PR/inside WR are as critical as speed if not more critical to success doing those two things.

I agree with his lack of production and how he's been pretty underwhelming, but I stated this in the other thread that for some reason, I think Kubiak likes him out there because he's very consistent. He's always in the right spot, runs the correct routes. He's a smart football player, seems like a really aware guy on the field, physical skills aside.

Like I don't know this but when I see Cody Latimer & Jordan Taylor (not so much Bennie Fowler), they seem so "raw". I don't know if Kubiak loves having those kind of guys on the field a whole lot until they tighten things up. Norwood may be less effective physically, but outside of his drop-to-INT play VS San Diego, I don't see him missing many if any assignments on special teams or on offense. There's value in certainty for Kubiak here and I think he's most certain with Norwood out there as the 3rd WR. Just appears that way to me.

Comment

Originally posted by jakemillar View Post
        Jordan Norwood had/has a slow 40 time sure, but he had the fastest 3-cone & shuttle of all WRs at the Combine that year. The definition of "quick, not fast". Quickness as a PR/inside WR are as critical as speed if not more critical to success doing those two things.

I agree with his lack of production and how he's been pretty underwhelming, but I stated this in the other thread that for some reason, I think Kubiak likes him out there because he's very consistent. He's always in the right spot, runs the correct routes. He's a smart football player, seems like a really aware guy on the field, physical skills aside.

Like I don't know this but when I see Cody Latimer & Jordan Taylor (not so much Bennie Fowler), they seem so "raw". I don't know if Kubiak loves having those kind of guys on the field a whole lot until they tighten things up. Norwood may be less effective physically, but outside of his drop-to-INT play VS San Diego, I don't see him missing many if any assignments on special teams or on offense. There's value in certainty for Kubiak here and I think he's most certain with Norwood out there as the 3rd WR. Just appears that way to me.
        Sure but Sanders was raw once. also Taylor didn't look raw when he made that play when we needed it in SD. WHEN it comes down to it Taylor seems to be able to get open. he also has height which is a huge asset when going against DBs who are often 6ftish at best. Then there is also his 50/50 ball catches. He generally does well there.

I'd still argue a periodic shifting of Sanders into the slot with Taylor on the other side is the best option for this team. Then on other drives we bump him inside to the slot and Sanders runs similar deep routes. having a guy like him allows for greater flexibility of play calls and adds another miss match dimension which we have been lacking since Decker left.

Norwood seems to have issues catching balls which are not bang on. HE has also bobble 3+ balls resulting ints. Then there is the PR KR issues where he let's balls go that get stopped at the 2 or 3 and then tries to run it out when he has no lanes.if Norwood was that quick (as others have stated) he'd be able to turn on the Jets and slip through the creases he has on pr/KR but he isn't. By all accounts I am seeing he's being beaten by LBs and other members of opposing teams ST units ...soundly in some cases.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
          Sure but Sanders was raw once. also Taylor didn't look raw when he made that play when we needed it in SD. WHEN it comes down to it Taylor seems to be able to get open. he also has height which is a huge asset when going against DBs who are often 6ftish at best. Then there is also his 50/50 ball catches. He generally does well there.

I'd still argue a periodic shifting of Sanders into the slot with Taylor on the other side is the best option for this team. Then on other drives we bump him inside to the slot and Sanders runs similar deep routes. having a guy like him allows for greater flexibility of play calls and adds another miss match dimension which we have been lacking since Decker left.

Norwood seems to have issues catching balls which are not bang on. HE has also bobble 3+ balls resulting ints. Then there is the PR KR issues where he let's balls go that get stopped at the 2 or 3 and then tries to run it out when he has no lanes.if Norwood was that quick (as others have stated) he'd be able to turn on the Jets and slip through the creases he has on pr/KR but he isn't. By all accounts I am seeing he's being beaten by LBs and other members of opposing teams ST units ...soundly in some cases.
          I've been one of the critics of Norwood on this thread. He has 14 receptions and 1 drop (led to INT) of 24 targets - drops based on passes he put his hands on. We would expect drops to be fewer as a slot receiver. As far as receiving it seems like we could be too critical because his drops have led to INT vs. San Diego last Sunday and last game of 2015. On punt returns he ranks 10th at 10.4 yards among players with enough returns to qualify.

It would be great to have better production but at the same time are we being too critical?

Comment

Originally posted by Fantaztic7 View Post
            I've been one of the critics of Norwood on this thread. He has 14 receptions and 1 drop (led to INT) of 24 targets - drops based on passes he put his hands on. We would expect drops to be fewer as a slot receiver. As far as receiving it seems like we could be too critical because his drops have led to INT vs. San Diego last Sunday and last game of 2015. On punt returns he ranks 10th at 10.4 yards among players with enough returns to qualify.

It would be great to have better production but at the same time are we being too critical?

I don't think so. The guy appears to be mediocre and I'm not buying the right place/right time-situational awareness angle. Someone who possesses situational awareness (plays smart) doesn't make those mistakes returning the ball or fail to even try to tap his feet in the end zone when we really, really need a TD instead of a FG. It's true that Siemian has not been consistently accurate lately.It's also true that Norwood is one of the skill players that aren't making plays.
            Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

Originally posted by listopencil View Post
              I don't think so. The guy appears to be mediocre and I'm not buying the right place/right time-situational awareness angle. Someone who possesses situational awareness (plays smart) doesn't make those mistakes returning the ball or fail to even try to tap his feet in the end zone when we really, really need a TD instead of a FG. It's true that Siemian has not been consistently accurate lately.It's also true that Norwood is one of the skill players that aren't making plays.
              If a guy like Norwood isn't making plays what holds back Kubiak from making a change (asking sincerely)?

Comment

If a guy like Norwood isn't making plays what holds back Kubiak from making a change (asking sincerely)?
                If you look at the depth chart (http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/depth-chart.html) they are both listed as third string WRs backing up two different positions. Kubiak brings guys along slowly. I don't think he'd make a sudden change. It's more his style to pepper a guy into the lineup over the season. Right now he has a group of WR's and he has to choose who is going to be active on game day, and that's kind of a big deal. So pay attention to the inactive list tomorrow.
                Adopt-A-Bronco: Kendell Hinton

Comment

What I see in Norwood is indecisiveness and dare I say slow feet and slow movement. He has had some pretty decent blocking on several of his returns and has failed to gain positive yards (ie getting past where a touch back would be). I just expect more explosiveness from a slot guy and a pr/KR.

I also think that Norwood lacks the ability to recognize his surrounding fast enough, adjust and make great catches regularly. I look at some of the plays Welker made both here and in NE and he had a nak for just knowing when to turn on the Jets and when to slow it down.

So I find myself wondering one of two things. ...do we turn to K.Raymond who had a decent PS and see what he can do instead? OR do we move to a taller (Taylor) or more experienced guy in the slot (Sanders) either of which IMO would help our younger QB more.

Comment

Originally posted by listopencil View Post
                    If you look at the depth chart (http://www.denverbroncos.com/team/depth-chart.html) they are both listed as third string WRs backing up two different positions. Kubiak brings guys along slowly. I don't think he'd make a sudden change. It's more his style to pepper a guy into the lineup over the season. Right now he has a group of WR's and he has to choose who is going to be active on game day, and that's kind of a big deal. So pay attention to the inactive list tomorrow.
                    What I see in Norwood is indecisiveness and dare I say slow feet and slow movement. He has had some pretty decent blocking on several of his returns and has failed to gain positive yards (ie getting past where a touch back would be). I just expect more explosiveness from a slot guy and a pr/KR.

I also think that Norwood lacks the ability to recognize his surrounding fast enough, adjust and make great catches regularly. I look at some of the plays Welker made both here and in NE and he had a nak for just knowing when to turn on the Jets and when to slow it down.

So I find myself wondering one of two things. ...do we turn to K.Raymond who had a decent PS and see what he can do instead? OR do we move to a taller (Taylor) or more experienced guy in the slot (Sanders) either of which IMO would help our younger QB more.
                    Will be interesting to see any adjustments for tonight's game...

Comment

Jordan Norwood aside, Emmanuel Sanders was NEVER a raw receiver as member of the Denver Broncos. The minute he signed with the Broncos he was the best route runner on the team, hands down, so IMO that assessment of Sanders ever being "raw" is incorrect. Even as a Pittsburgh Steeler, many people forget he played in June Jones' Run N Shoot offense at SMU and frequently played all 4 WR spots in that offense. He already had a great understanding of routes and concepts when the Steelers drafted him.

As far as Jordan Taylor, IMO Bennie Fowler is better than Jordan Taylor in almost every aspect, other than the "fan favourite" category that he's been in since Peyton Manning was pumping his tires. Outside of that, Jordan Taylor is the 5th best wide receiver on the team in terms of his physical skills behind DT, Emmanuel, Bennie and Cody.

Comment

At this moment.. I am not tired of jordan norwood.

Comment

Originally posted by Remedy View Post
                          At this moment.. I am not tired of jordan norwood.
                          He must be reading the forums....

Comment

Jordan Norwood aside, Emmanuel Sanders was NEVER a raw receiver as member of the Denver Broncos. The minute he signed with the Broncos he was the best route runner on the team, hands down, so IMO that assessment of Sanders ever being "raw" is incorrect. Even as a Pittsburgh Steeler, many people forget he played in June Jones' Run N Shoot offense at SMU and frequently played all 4 WR spots in that offense. He already had a great understanding of routes and concepts when the Steelers drafted him.

As far as Jordan Taylor, IMO Bennie Fowler is better than Jordan Taylor in almost every aspect, other than the "fan favourite" category that he's been in since Peyton Manning was pumping his tires. Outside of that, Jordan Taylor is the 5th best wide receiver on the team in terms of his physical skills behind DT, Emmanuel, Bennie and Cody.
                            It was widely accepted that Sanders was raw when he first got to the steelers. What he said is not wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
                              It was widely accepted that Sanders was raw when he first got to the steelers. What he said is not wrong.
                              Where was this "widely accepted" information from?

I have it on good information that the opposite is true. Bruce Arians, Tyke Tolbert, Mike Tomlin, Ben Roethlisberger and June Jones all have spoken on this previously. And relative to the Denver Broncos and Sanders time as a Bronco he's the best full tree route runner that's been here in a while.

That aside, I think Jordan Taylor is the least explosive WR on the team. As I write this Norwood just caught a nice touchdown and Bennie Fowler has made some tough catches and blocked really well. Taylor a catch as well but I just don't see the upside that a lot of people are expecting to see happen if Sunshine got into the game.

Comment

Where was this "widely accepted" information from?

I have it on good information that the opposite is true. Bruce Arians, Tyke Tolbert, Mike Tomlin, Ben Roethlisberger and June Jones all have spoken on this previously. And relative to the Denver Broncos and Sanders time as a Bronco he's the best full tree route runner that's been here in a while.

That aside, I think Jordan Taylor is the least explosive WR on the team. As I write this Norwood just caught a nice touchdown and Bennie Fowler has made some tough catches and blocked really well. Taylor a catch as well but I just don't see the upside that a lot of people are expecting to see happen if Sunshine got into the game.
                                And as I write this Norwood just caused a penalty for downfield blocking...A bunch of players and coaches have praised Sanders for his route running etc. Sure and that was all justified...at the end of his tenure with the Steelers. Taylor has been given very limited game snaps and for the most part has done well in nearly all of them he's been given. He would have had a second GREAT catch if Trevor could have kept it within his zip code (I think he sailed his throw nearly 10 feet too high....awful throw.

Comment

Working...
                                X