Schedule/Competition Level Gives Us Playoff Hopes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Schedule/Competition Level Gives Us Playoff Hopes

........but at some point, we have to prove that we are worthy.

OK, not a good game last night. In fact, I was surprised we were still in the game that late. Speaks for our D, and yes, one crazy good play by Bibbs!

But here's the deal......if we are contenders, we have every opportunity to make things happen in the next 5 weeks. The schedule is not that hard, plus our competition in the AFC is keeping us afloat for a playoff position. As of this moment, we are 2 games up on a group of teams for the wildcard. Sure, that may only be 1 once every team catches up with their bye situations, but it's pretty good at this time of the season. Make no mistake, we have not looked wonderful of late, but we did win 6 games, and that ain't bad!

So here we go, another similar contest this coming week in New Orleans. Similar in that they, like Oakland, have a top tier O (#1) this season, and bottom level D (#30). I'll be honest, Brees scares me! But lets not give up on our D. We are still among the best, and we have been hurting. Hopefully Talib will return. He will be a big factor if he does.

So picture a return to form, a victory over The Saints......then a bye to regroup.....then KC at home followed by The Jax and Titans on the road. If we are seriously in this thing, we can definitely win 3 of those games in my opinion. And 3 wins gives us 9 for the season, before we get The Pats at home, KC on the road, and The Raiders back here. If we have 9 wins going into those last 3, I feel strongly that we are playoff bound!

Easy to play those number games.....what about the product on the field? There are question marks. Oline yet again. A young QB that seems fine at times, but not dynamic. A group of skill position players that I can not honestly assess without scratching my head a little, other than to say we are not quite there yet. And a D that is getting injured. As for creativity and the like, I too wonder about the coaching aspect on O. But all these variables thrown together make it hard to evaluate what is truly causing what! Lets just say we have a "package situation" that needs a lift.

As for Trevor, I find it ironic that he and Paxton have almost identical passer ratings as of today. It really means little, and could just be a coincidence (86.3 vs 86.2). Oh, but just to make me feel a bit better, Oz is only at 73.1. Some solace for some of us solace seekers.

So........our Broncos are still very much in it, and we still have a top level D, no matter how the game went last night. They need to heal and they need to be motivated by our O at times. And what better opportunity then to turn things in our favour over the next 5 weeks! Hey, fortunately our competition isn't doing better in most cases. Regardless, it's a long season folks, and we just happen to have a small cushion. And if we can win 3 of those next 4, and build some momentum, this year may end as we had hoped all along, given the roster we have.

Stay positive!

IMHO, regardless of what happens in NO, the Broncos still control their own destiny.

We will lose to NE.... even this game doesn't matter.

Bottom line: 5 remaining games determine if we win the DIV, procur the coveted bYE (2 seed) or if we earns WC berth or if we miss the playoffs entirely....

5 games...

We have 3 road games (TEN, JAX, KC) & two home games vs KC & OAK.

If we win all 5 of these games we will be the 2 seed. If we win 4/5 we make the playoffs.... if we lose 2, then we lose control of our fate.

We know the KC game in kC will be tough, but if we get foles instead of smith then we catch a break.

Tenn will tough. They just scored 30 on SD on the road. Tough team. We should win but it will be tough if our offense stinks.

JAX should be a win, but again.... they have the better QB.

I think we win both home games vs KC and OAK.

OAK plays 3 division road games and luck their final 4 games.... KC will lose some games....

Good news is we still control our fate, even at 6-4.

Comment

Originally posted by fraguela09 View Post
      IMHO, regardless of what happens in NO, the Broncos still control their own destiny.

We will lose to NE.... even this game doesn't matter.

Bottom line: 5 remaining games determine if we win the DIV, procur the coveted bYE (2 seed) or if we earns WC berth or if we miss the playoffs entirely....

5 games...

We have 3 road games (TEN, JAX, KC) & two home games vs KC & OAK.

If we win all 5 of these games we will be the 2 seed. If we win 4/5 we make the playoffs.... if we lose 2, then we lose control of our fate.

We know the KC game in kC will be tough, but if we get foles instead of smith then we catch a break.

Tenn will tough. They just scored 30 on SD on the road. Tough team. We should win but it will be tough if our offense stinks.

JAX should be a win, but again.... they have the better QB.

I think we win both home games vs KC and OAK.

OAK plays 3 division road games and luck their final 4 games.... KC will lose some games....

Good news is we still control our fate, even at 6-4.
      Although I see your point, another loss going into the bye week, is not going to be easy. 6 and 4 does sound solid, respective of the situation, but lets do it this week!

Comment

This team goes as far as the defense takes them, obviously. Without Talib and Wolfe(let alone the other injuries), the unit takes a huge hit. I don't expect them to beat any decent teams without those 2 guys, especially on the road.

Comment

I know I'm definitely in the minority here, but I'm okay with the loss. It exposed all of our weaknesses at once, in a very public fashion. The Atlanta game, we had the excuse that it was against a NFC opponent. The SD game we had the excuse of a Thursday night game. We've seen a trend of issues over the last few weeks, but an embarrassing loss to the Raiders on national TV might make some ears perk up again in those meetings. Might be the embarrassing loss that puts us into attack mode.

There are a lot of winnable games left on the schedule, and some tough ones as well, but ending the season at home vs Oakland, with a chance for revenge, is something I'd love to see to try and make the playoffs.

I get the negativity. I see the anemic offense (and it infuriates me when we start the game with 3 straight passes, when should have a make up of a grinding team), I hate the mistakes of running out of the end zone instead of taking touchbacks. I don't like that Wolfe is out for a while with a broken elbow. But at the same time, I don't see the team giving up. I see a team working though issues. I can see people stepping up, hell the Patriots won 3/4 games without TB, we can steal a win from NO without Talib or Wolfe. Get into the bye week and fix some of these issues. The game against NE is still up for grabs for me. I don't care how many people say we won't win it. They said it last year, twice actually. It is at home, and we do well against TB here. The KC games will be tough, but we can win. The SD game we can win. The OAK game we can win!

I don't see the purpose in dwelling in negativity, or claiming it "reality" when no one knows how each game will be won, until the conclusion of the game. You're frustrated, so am I. I'm sure the players are miles more frustrated than any of us. Dust it off and move on. Stop dogging on TS, stop destroying DT every time he doesn't do something and then sarcastically applaud him when he does something well. His salary sucks, so what. He is on our team and will he vital in our stretch to playoffs.

It's that time for all players to regroup, take a look in the mirror and improve. And I think the boards should do the same.

/rant

And I can always count on you for optimism CanDB. Great post as usual

Comment

Originally posted by Rizzo View Post
            I know I'm definitely in the minority here, but I'm okay with the loss. It exposed all of our weaknesses at once, in a very public fashion. The Atlanta game, we had the excuse that it was against a NFC opponent. The SD game we had the excuse of a Thursday night game. We've seen a trend of issues over the last few weeks, but an embarrassing loss to the Raiders on national TV might make some ears perk up again in those meetings. Might be the embarrassing loss that puts us into attack mode.

There are a lot of winnable games left on the schedule, and some tough ones as well, but ending the season at home vs Oakland, with a chance for revenge, is something I'd love to see to try and make the playoffs.

I get the negativity. I see the anemic offense (and it infuriates me when we start the game with 3 straight passes, when should have a make up of a grinding team), I hate the mistakes of running out of the end zone instead of taking touchbacks. I don't like that Wolfe is out for a while with a broken elbow. But at the same time, I don't see the team giving up. I see a team working though issues. I can see people stepping up, hell the Patriots won 3/4 games without TB, we can steal a win from NO without Talib or Wolfe. Get into the bye week and fix some of these issues. The game against NE is still up for grabs for me. I don't care how many people say we won't win it. They said it last year, twice actually. It is at home, and we do well against TB here. The KC games will be tough, but we can win. The SD game we can win. The OAK game we can win!

I don't see the purpose in dwelling in negativity, or claiming it "reality" when no one knows how each game will be won, until the conclusion of the game. You're frustrated, so am I. I'm sure the players are miles more frustrated than any of us. Dust it off and move on. Stop dogging on TS, stop destroying DT every time he doesn't do something and then sarcastically applaud him when he does something well. His salary sucks, so what. He is on our team and will he vital in our stretch to playoffs.

It's that time for all players to regroup, take a look in the mirror and improve. And I think the boards should do the same.

/rant

And I can always count on you for optimism CanDB. Great post as usual
            Thx, and good rant!

:thumb:

(you a cub fan, or is that your real name....or something else?)

Comment

Great, realistic and positive look for the future. It doesn't hurt to remember that we all felt exactly the same way last year after losing to the Chiefs, at home, for our second loss in a row putting us at 6-2(7-2?). Everyone said we were destined for failure, but these coaches and those players pulled it together and put on a show that took us to the confetti falling on our guys in SB 50!

Good post Can
              sigpic

Adopted by: Andrewmlb :thumb:
              Sig by: MHS

Comment

Originally posted by CanDB View Post
                Thx, and good rant!

:thumb:

(you a cub fan, or is that your real name....or something else?)
                Haha, no. Rockies fan. Rizzo was a childhood nickname because I had a smart mouth like Rizzo the Rat from the Muppets. Made this account forever ago, and just decided to keep it.

Comment

Sorry but I do not want to relive the years where we barely slid into the Playoffs with a halfway average team only to be dismantled by a superior one..

Remember what team holds the 3 biggest Superbowl blowout loses...Broncos

Remember what team get's records posted on us... Broncos

This team has glaring holes that have been present from Game 3 of the Preseason.. Holes that the coaches refuse to address... An example getting Pot Roast out of free agency weeks ago would have made perfect sense, it would have given him time to get back in playing shape... And made sure our NT didn't get blown up off the ball ever snap.,,,

I rather not make the playoffs and get a good draft position and restock then get destroyed and be the butt of jokes...

Go hard or go home.
                  Last edited by SammyWinder; 11-07-2016, 12:54 PM.

Comment

I appreciate your positive outlook Can but after last night I am losing hope on this season yes we can turn things around but the team hasn't shown the fight like we had last year and not stopping the run now with Wolfe injured I am really concerned I am praying and hoping we can turn things around still I guess I am just really feeling down after losing the way we did to a team I really don't like but we will see have to beat the Saints first

Comment

Originally posted by darklord View Post
                      I appreciate your positive outlook Can but after last night I am losing hope on this season yes we can turn things around but the team hasn't shown the fight like we had last year and not stopping the run now with Wolfe injured I am really concerned I am praying and hoping we can turn things around still I guess I am just really feeling down after losing the way we did to a team I really don't like but we will see have to beat the Saints first
                      I understand. But far too many times in my sporting life, the teams I gave up on midway ended up building momentum at the right time, and made a big splash. Similarly, many teams that looked really good at this time of year faded away when the cards were all on the table.

It's early my friend. And though we do not look like a world beater of late, it's what we do about it that matters. The great thing, we had a nice start, which may enable us to hang around until we prove we deserve to hang around.

Comment

Compare the record of our first 8 games to the record of our last 8 games. It isn't even close. That should worry everyone.

Comment

I get that going from 5-0 to 6-4 will have us all on the ledge.... Losing to NO will make for a long BYE break. But, if we're keeping things in perspective, a loss in NO doesn't hurt is in the long run (other than taking away some wiggle room).

Clearly TS & Okung are playing injured. 2 weeks off will help them... I seriously doubt Nick Foles walks into DEN and gets the win. Even with Smith, I see a win there.

Our season will end or be rejuvenated those 2 weeks in TEN and JAX...

Then, playing at KC and home vs OAK will ultimately determine our fate (if we get to those games 8-9 wins)

Comment

Originally posted by SammyWinder View Post
                            Sorry but I do not want to relive the years where we barely slid into the Playoffs with a halfway average team only to be dismantled by a superior one..

Remember what team holds the 3 biggest Superbowl blowout loses...Broncos

Remember what team get's records posted on us... Broncos

This team has glaring holes that have been present from Game 3 of the Preseason.. Holes that the coaches refuse to address... An example getting Pot Roast out of free agency weeks ago would have made perfect sense, it would have given him time to get back in playing shape... And made sure our NT didn't get blown up off the ball ever snap.,,,

I rather not make the playoffs and get a good draft position and restock then get destroyed and be the butt of jokes...

Go hard or go home.
                            I agree with you to a point, but our best playoff games tend to be when we had a really good defense. Which I believe we have, and will have if we get a playoff spot. Look at when we had a good defense last year, obviously you know the result. And in 2005 when we beat the pats with the Champ Bailey pick. Compare that to when we got blown out in the Super Bowl, the Ravens loss, with great offense. Or even back to when PM killed us in the playoffs when he was with the Colts. The team was good on offense, but defense was a glaring need

Defense travels, defense wins playoff games, and ultimately defense wins championships. I'd rather back into the playoffs as a wild card with a great defense and below average offense, then get a #1 seed with the opposite set up. This team can win tough games, and we only need to win 3-4 tough ones in the playoffs to be champions again.
                            Last edited by Rizzo; 11-07-2016, 02:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by darklord View Post
                              I can also appreciate the positive outlook from Can, but this season is all but lost. Even if Elway makes a change it will be too late to have any real affect. You can instantly create chemistry with new coaches and/or players.

Comment

Working...
                              X