• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gerontion
    Playmaker
    • Feb 2014

Solutions next year for O-line and D-line

First, is there anyone on the O-line who shouldn't be replaced? I think Paradis is the only one. Okung has shown me absolutely nothing to merit paying him over $40 million for the next four years. Heck, even though Stephenson is in his first year, we could cut him without too much dead cap space. Garcia? Don't see much there. Schofield, though improved, is not a starter in this league, imo. As far as other guys, Sambrailo looks like a bust and McGovern is a total unknown.

Now, the D-line and overall front seven. Sly has really disappointed me this season. If we re-sign him, I hope it's not for big money. Crick? Nothing special at all. Nor is Todd Davis. Hopefully Gotsis steps up and Vance Walker returns next year.

So, is there anyone out there, free agent or draft, that you see helping us bolster the lines? It hurts to say, but if we were just average on either line we would still be a contender this year.
  • XterraRob
    Bench Warmer
    • Nov 2014

You know I'm afraid with how much we keep replacing O-Lineman, how difficult it'll be for anyone to form the cohesion necessary to perform as a unit. Sometimes you just have to keep guys because they work great with others and that can form a staple.
    I believe.

Comment

• Bterres105
      Special Teams
      • Oct 2014

I'm gonna get a lot of flack for this because we have the #1 rated center by pff.

My problem with Paradis is that although, he sustains his blocks, he gets pushed back at the line a lot. Also, how well is he communicating with the other offensive linemen? Are Garcia's missed blocks due miscommunication or because Garcia is just unaware of who he's supposed to block?

Comment

• vanpelt4prez
        Practice Squad
        • Aug 2014

Will most likely be a combination of FA's and draft picks. We have a lot of cap space next year.

Comment

• CoryWinget81
          five thousand, 800 and uh
          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by Bterres105 View Post
          I'm gonna get a lot of flack for this because we have the #1 rated center by pff.

My problem with Paradis is that although, he sustains his blocks, he gets pushed back at the line a lot. Also, how well is he communicating with the other offensive linemen? Are Garcia's missed blocks due miscommunication or because Garcia is just unaware of who he's supposed to block?
          No it's because he has terrible footwork and and keeps lunging instead of blocking.
          sigpic

Hooray, beer!

Comment

• Bterres105
            Special Teams
            • Oct 2014

Originally posted by CoryWinget81 View Post
            No it's because he has terrible footwork and and keeps lunging instead of blocking.
            Yeah, Garcia's footwork is pretty bad. I think it was Schlereth that called out Paradis because apparently some of our O-line problems stem from a lack of communication.

Comment

• FlowdaBroncoFan
              Starter
              • Mar 2009

We need to go DT in the 1st. Trade up for the best one in the draft IMO. We have the picks to do so.

As for OL, I am of the opinion that I like FA OL due to the experience they already possess.

Either way we need to go trenches early and often in both draft and FA.

We should also go after another WR and RB.
              Jacksonville Jaguars Broncomania GM:

Comment

• Bterres105
                Special Teams
                • Oct 2014

Originally posted by FlowdaBroncoFan View Post
                We need to go DT in the 1st. Trade up for the best one in the draft IMO. We have the picks to do so.

As for OL, I am of the opinion that I like FA OL due to the experience they already possess.

Either way we need to go trenches early and often in both draft and FA.

We should also go after another WR and RB.
                The problem with your logic is that DL players take just as long to develop as OL players, so they wouldn't be immediate impact players, and we all know how impatient as a fanbase we are. We'd start rioting and labeling them busts.

I'd pursue a Richardson trade and offer a 2nd round pick and scower free agency for any OL players like Leary or Remmers.
                Last edited by Bterres105; 11-08-2016, 12:17 PM.

Comment

• FlowdaBroncoFan
                  Starter
                  • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Bterres105 View Post
                  The problem with your logic is that DL players take just as long to develop as OL players, so they wouldn't be immediate impact players, and we all know how impatient as a fanbase we are. We'd start rioting and labeling them busts.

I'd pursue a Richardson trade and offer a 2nd round pick and scower free agency for any OL players like Leary or Remmers.
                  I wouldn't mind that at all actually. I just really like a couple guys from Florida (DT Caleb Brantley and ILB Jarrad Davis).
                  Jacksonville Jaguars Broncomania GM:

Comment

• Bterres105
                    Special Teams
                    • Oct 2014

Originally posted by FlowdaBroncoFan View Post
                    I wouldn't mind that at all actually. I just really like a couple guys from Florida (DT Caleb Brantley and ILB Jarrad Davis).
                    As do! I would like to draft them as well and have them develop instead of throwing them into the fire like we did gotsis, but we neee an immediate impact player in the first round, so maybe ILB Davis would be a safer pick.

Comment

• Rich_C
                      Captain
                      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by XterraRob View Post
                      You know I'm afraid with how much we keep replacing O-Lineman, how difficult it'll be for anyone to form the cohesion necessary to perform as a unit. Sometimes you just have to keep guys because they work great with others and that can form a staple.
                      I think that is a valid point but just as valid is to have the right guys build that cohesion. right now for me Okung is gone. GARCIA should be a backup or at least compete to earn his role. Schofield should be demoted and Ty should just be let go. Stephenson has had more ups than downs for me and we have seen a true improvement when he's been in....I am still unsure about him.

But to say 3 of 5 need to go....that is not good.

On a different note there may also be some justification for those who are critical of Paradis. HE is lighter and we saw some guys just bully him straight backwards ( raiders game for example). THAT was all on him.

Comment

• Butler By'Note
                        Super Moderator
                        • Dec 2008

I think Denver needs to start looking for bigger linemen. I know the old zone mystique of light quick players, but these days most players have run zone in either high school or college, and it's getting to the point where guys who are 315-325 pounds can usually move well enough to run in the zone system. We'll never see the 350 pound road graders in Denver, but I think getting to that 320 pound line, across the board, is where they need to be.

Then I'd call the Browns about Joe Thomas, chances are it would go nowhere but I'd want to see if I could get that done. Then I'd be working the phones to capable free agents, I would spend decent money for starting calibre linemen.

Finally, assuming the Bears staff is let go and John Fox doesn't get another job right away, I'd call Dave Magazu. He's a great o-line coach, and Denver should do everything they can to bring him back.

Comment

• BroncosIsWin
                          Bench Warmer
                          • Aug 2011

Solutions:

1. Get a better offensive line.

2. Get a few years experience with a new QB.

3. Get a better defensive line to stop the run.

Looks pretty obvious to me. I think the part no really wants to acknowledge is the QB needing to get experience. What did you guys really expect with a new QB? Granted some, some of the young QBs are doing good, but it still takes time. By this time, come next year or closer to the end of the season and we're still seeing the same offense, I think it's safe to assume it's a coaching issue.

Comment

• spcdlee02
                            Bench Warmer
                            • Nov 2006

I'm not quite ready to give up on Ty yet. He keeps losing time due to injury so it's hard to gage what he can really be. That said, if he can't make it through the rest of the season and the off-season healthy, time for an injury settlement and then the door. As for the rest, I'd like to see what McGovern is capable of so Schofield should sit. He's mediocre at best and can't get it done. Okung, well, just don't know. Stephenson will get better.

Comment

• Rich_C
                              Captain
                              • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                              I think Denver needs to start looking for bigger linemen. I know the old zone mystique of light quick players, but these days most players have run zone in either high school or college, and it's getting to the point where guys who are 315-325 pounds can usually move well enough to run in the zone system. We'll never see the 350 pound road graders in Denver, but I think getting to that 320 pound line, across the board, is where they need to be.

Then I'd call the Browns about Joe Thomas, chances are it would go nowhere but I'd want to see if I could get that done. Then I'd be working the phones to capable free agents, I would spend decent money for starting calibre linemen.

Finally, assuming the Bears staff is let go and John Fox doesn't get another job right away, I'd call Dave Magazu. He's a great o-line coach, and Denver should do everything they can to bring him back.
                              I cannot say I disagree with any part of this post. I am 100 percent on board with this approach. Ideally we are really needing guys like Orlando Franklin. He was quite quick for his size and would suit what we are wanting to do here rather well.

I also like the idea of swapping OL coaches...we clearly need that change.

Comment

Working...
                              X