Solutions next year for O-line and D-line

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by spcdlee02 View Post
    I'm not quite ready to give up on Ty yet. He keeps losing time due to injury so it's hard to gage what he can really be. That said, if he can't make it through the rest of the season and the off-season healthy, time for an injury settlement and then the door. As for the rest, I'd like to see what McGovern is capable of so Schofield should sit. He's mediocre at best and can't get it done. Okung, well, just don't know. Stephenson will get better.
    Did you not see how poor his play was when he was in the game? Ty was awful...and if a lineman is getting hurt as often as he has been then I cannot see how he can maintain strength.

Comment

It's not an easy fix. The OL has been ignored for years and IMO can't be fixed in a single off season.

Comment

Originally posted by lvbronx View Post
        It's not an easy fix. The OL has been ignored for years and IMO can't be fixed in a single off season.
        If we somehow manage to sign Zeitler and Warford this offseason and draft a tackle or 2 early in the draft then that will go a long way towards fixing it

Comment

It will still take a season or longer for the new o line to gel, and even then there's no guarantee that they will be better. It only takes one weak lineman
          Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by lvbronx View Post
            See I disagree. I think we can make huge strides in one offseason. our primary target should be a veteran LT and we should be drafting one as well. Paradis will work for now and then we need to continental to target another guard....I would think that at least one of the current guards could at least step up with proper coaching and competition....then all we need to do is focus on depth.....

So in total your likely looking at 2 or 3 picks here. At the same time though we really haven't drafted a top OT or OG in.....6 plus years?

Comment

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
              It will still take a season or longer for the new o line to gel, and even then there's no guarantee that they will be better. It only takes one weak lineman
              I disagree on that. Yes it will take an offseason and preseason for cohesion, and it might take more than one season for a line to truly know each other without thinking, but it can be done in an offseason. Oakland is a perfect example of truly turning things in one offseason.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                I disagree on that. Yes it will take an offseason and preseason for cohesion, and it might take more than one season for a line to truly know each other without thinking, but it can be done in an offseason. Oakland is a perfect example of truly turning things in one offseason.
                It can be done with the right coaching. I don't believe we have that right now
                Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Originally posted by TheAsianPA View Post
                  It can be done with the right coaching. I don't believe we have that right now
                  I would agree. The current o-line coach is a great TE, but not yet a great O-line coach.

One of the problems facing the Broncos in fixing the O-line, their a lot more bad offensive lines in the NFL then there is quality linemen who will be available.

Comment

I think Kubes needs to decide what offense he wants to run and adjust Oline man accordingly. Cause as of now, I don't know what O he is trying to run, and I think he doesn't either. lol

Pass pass pass pass run. Rinse and repeat is our current O.
                    Just what the heck do you call that. Haha

Comment

Originally posted by hawaiiiancrush View Post
                      I think Kubes needs to decide what offense he wants to run and adjust Oline man accordingly. Cause as of now, I don't know what O he is trying to run, and I think he doesn't either. lol

Pass pass pass pass run. Rinse and repeat is our current O.
                      Just what the heck do you call that. Haha
                      So many colleges ( just about all of them) are running zone systems, so you should be able to find young blockers who are a little bigger who have experience in it. However, many colleges aren't teaching good line techniques, in fact a lot are horrible. I would start looking to the colleges that run a more standard offense (Alabama and Michigan come to mind) they may not have as much experience in the zone plays, but they will have played in a pro style offense and they will play better technique than most spread schools.

And since I'm openly advocating for them bringing Dave Magazu back, I would go away from a 75-100% zone blocked running game (which is what I think they'd ideally like right now) to more of a blended running game that Magazu uses.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_C View Post
                        See I disagree. I think we can make huge strides in one offseason. our primary target should be a veteran LT and we should be drafting one as well. Paradis will work for now and then we need to continental to target another guard....I would think that at least one of the current guards could at least step up with proper coaching and competition....then all we need to do is focus on depth.....

So in total your likely looking at 2 or 3 picks here. At the same time though we really haven't drafted a top OT or OG in.....6 plus years?
                        hudson and penn where signed last year and osemele was signed this year. the right side is kinda a mess still. but its been 2 and it doesn't feel complete
                        sigpic
                        oakland raders gm
                        latavis murray trade bait

Comment

Find it tough to be too critical of Paradis. Young man is ranked the top center in the League the first half of the season.

Okung has disappointed and I see no way he is back next year. All the rest have various positives and negatives w/o any standouts IMO. Still think improvement will come with stability instead of overall change every year. Add a couple to the mix but not an overall sweep of adding 4 or 5 new lineman.

In hindsight the decision not to pursue Josh Sitton seems an oversight by management.

My early 1st rd pick is for Adoree Jackson. Not an o-lineman or DT. Lineman can be added by free agency or in a later round. Explosive dynamic game changers are what 1st round picks are for. Ray, Roby, Lynch now Jackson seems a good trend IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by FR Tim View Post
                            Find it tough to be too critical of Paradis. Young man is ranked the top center in the League the first half of the season.

Okung has disappointed and I see no way he is back next year. All the rest have various positives and negatives w/o any standouts IMO. Still think improvement will come with stability instead of overall change every year. Add a couple to the mix but not an overall sweep of adding 4 or 5 new lineman.

In hindsight the decision not to pursue Josh Sitton seems an oversight by management.

My early 1st rd pick is for Adoree Jackson. Not an o-lineman or DT. Lineman can be added by free agency or in a later round. Explosive dynamic game changers are what 1st round picks are for. Ray, Roby, Lynch now Jackson seems a good trend IMO.
                            Dallas O-Line is a "game changer" with 3 first rd picks.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JayJack View Post
                              Dallas O-Line is a "game changer" with 3 first rd picks.
                              Absolutely. That certainly worked for them. They made some great choices over a series of losing seasons. Getting them 9th, 16th, 31st (traded back from 18th) and then taking a chance on Collins . It has worked for them. But I think you have to consider they had their QB, RBs (Murrey, Elliot) and WRs in place. And their defensive struggles has been their Achilles heel over those seasons. This season it is all coming together. Of course fortunately hitting on a 4th rd QB has its benefits too.

Broncos draft has worked for them too. On the defensive side if you go back to the #2 pick of Miller, Williams, Wolfe in the 2nd rd, Roby, and Ray are all impact players. .

JMO but building the o-line IMO can be done (should have ?) in free agency and coaching. Okung was a risk that is looking more questionable as he struggles. Again I bring up Sitton. One of the best OG in the business. Not even sure the Broncos called him. I continue to imagine how differently this o-line could have looked with just that one reliable foundation player next to Paradis. How would it have changed the chemistry and results. Hypothetical musing , but interesting to consider.

Either way I am assuming either more money or a high draft picks will be used to improve the o-line next year.

The most important issue is what do they do for this year though? This weekend? O-line has to be better, how?
                              Last edited by FR Tim; 11-10-2016, 07:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                                Sure there are situations where it can happen faster, but with a new o-line it normally takes until 7-8 games into the season to get a solid cohesive unit. So we may not know till midyear if we need to blow it all up again.
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X