Roby's Stock is Dropping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roby's Stock is Dropping

Not really sure if this is a good or bad thing right now. He had a good year last year and solidified us having the best corner trio in the league, but he's been getting schooled this year. I don't know if it's confidence or what. A couple games back (maybe the Chargers game), on a critical 3rd or 4th down and like 8, Roby lined up 10 yards away from the WR and still back pedaled at the snap of the ball. He basically gave up the 1st down on a play that iced the game. Vs the Raiders on another critical play (4th down I believe) Roby almost gave up the same play. Instead of the physical and aggressive style I remember a year ago, Roby plays off coverage without the intensity he had. At times it seemed like Alex Smith was picking on Roby with KC WRs, which are nothing special.

Now maybe this could a good thing when it comes to contract negotiations with him this summer. However, to everyone saying Talib is expendable because Roby was capable of taking over. I'm a fan of Roby's, but we've got to use him differently, or do something to fire him up, because he seems to be a shell of himself.

It is undoubtedly a bad thing. I am not concerned about his free agency price tag. At this point they will decline his 5th year option. Another failed 1st rounder.

Comment

Perhaps Roby is injured.

Comment

Still grateful for the terrific play he made in that Pitt game in playoffs but this year from what I've seen he's not been good and that's being sheltered by two top cornerbacks

Comment

I think it'd because we don't have the same push up front into the QB's face that we had last year with Malik.

And even though Von is on fire and our edge rush is still good the QB's have time to sit in the pocket and find open throwing lanes.

So now it seems Wade has the corners playing with more cushion and less aggression like we saw in the fourth and OT and Roby is unable to cover guys that way.
          sigpic

Comment

He has had some bad games but he has had some really good ones as well. Hell we compare him to Talib and CHJ. Loads of teams would line up to pay him it hopefully Elway gets him on the cheap and we have all 3 of those guys for years to come

Comment

Lets look at it again at the end of the season. Then we can really make a comparison.

But for now - looking at it as a snapshot- it does appear his stock is dropping. But that doesn't make him disposable. I mean he's starting from above average at worst so 'stock dropping' doesn't leave a worthless product.

As a fan, this could end up working in the Broncos favor the closer we get to signing time for him. I mean look at Von, Maliq, or CJ for instance. In their contract seasons they pretty much all went off and it made it quite difficult to keep them on the roster. Von was a tough negotiation. Maliq was too expensive. CJ was offered a ton of money and the Broncos had to match.

Not sure when he's up for contract, but maybe they can get it done before he reaches full potential.
              The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

He is causing turnovers but is struggling in man coverage. I wish we could combine Roby's hands with CHJ's coverage skillls!

You expect your first rounders thrive by year three. Roby isn't. My guess is they decline his option, he plays next year so-so, and then gets paid elsewhere to be a 1CB.

Comment

Not that he's played great this year, but in response to last game, I think people are only remember the last drive. He literally had one real bad play and yes that cost us the game by giving up that fourth down. Even the touchdown wasn't bad coverage by him. He barely missed the ball and it was perfectly thrown. I do think he could have stayed behind him and just made he tackle to prevent him from falling in the endzone. But that's a tough call.

Comment

Originally posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
                    It is undoubtedly a bad thing. I am not concerned about his free agency price tag. At this point they will decline his 5th year option. Another failed 1st rounder.
                    Are you for real here? Wow! He's having a rough stretch, that happens, but he's also looked really good in the previous years and even in games earlier this season. Saying it's a failed pick is way over the top.

Comment

Originally posted by ksubroncosfan View Post
                      Not that he's played great this year, but in response to last game, I think people are only remember the last drive. He literally had one real bad play and yes that cost us the game by giving up that fourth down. Even the touchdown wasn't bad coverage by him. He barely missed the ball and it was perfectly thrown. I do think he could have stayed behind him and just made he tackle to prevent him from falling in the endzone. But that's a tough call.
                      On the touchdown the only reason it was good for the Chefs was because their receiver bobbled the ball, he literally screwed up and it benefitted them. Roby did nothing wrong there.

Comment

Originally posted by GiddyupGetEm View Post
                        He is causing turnovers but is struggling in man coverage. I wish we could combine Roby's hands with CHJ's coverage skillls!

You expect your first rounders thrive by year three. Roby isn't. My guess is they decline his option, he plays next year so-so, and then gets paid elsewhere to be a 1CB.
                        Again you're letting a down stretch cloud your judgement here. Roby was excellent last year and has been good earlier this year, but he's struggled recently. Assuming they decline his option and all the rest is overreaction.

Comment

Originally posted by DenverBlood View Post
                          I think it'd because we don't have the same push up front into the QB's face that we had last year with Malik.

And even though Von is on fire and our edge rush is still good the QB's have time to sit in the pocket and find open throwing lanes.

So now it seems Wade has the corners playing with more cushion and less aggression like we saw in the fourth and OT and Roby is unable to cover guys that way.
                          I definitely agree that the push isn't the same as last year and QBs are having more time, but Roby's the fastest corner that we have, so I'm just confused why he's getting away with giving such big cushions, especially when his cushion is more than the 1st down marker.

Comment

Originally posted by Butler By'Note View Post
                            On the touchdown the only reason it was good for the Chefs was because their receiver bobbled the ball, he literally screwed up and it benefitted them. Roby did nothing wrong there.
                            I'm not sure I can say he did nothing wrong. It was tight coverage and he didn't get smoked, but a couple things stick out to me. He wasn't guarding an elite WR, so from the jump he's favored in the matchup to me. The WR lined up wide and there was no way he was running a fade. It's very likely Hill running an inside route. I saw 4th and 5th string CBs guard our WRs and run step for step on slants in the middle of the field and knock them down. No one is perfect and the game wasn't all lost on that TD, but I fully expected Roby to take that away.

Comment

If he has the talent, Elway has to take advantage of this down year to give him a 3 year $20 mil. deal or something like that (market value for a second tier CB) to lock him up for 3 years. He knows the system and thrives in it as the 3rd CB. Then Elway can turn around and draft a future #1 and/or #2 CB, replacing one of the 3 as time goes on if they develop right. It would be knee jerk to just decline his 5th year option without an alternative, for now Elway should extend him for 3 years cheap by telling him the coaches gave him a vote of confidence if the coaches indeed do.

Comment

Working...
                              X