No announcement yet.

What has happened to our running game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What has happened to our running game?

Yesterday we saw our running game do mediocre in the first half to non-existent in the second half. Did Booker get hurt yesterday? He was in at first and then we saw Bibbs run a few good clips and then when Bibbs got hurt Thompson came in and was not very impressive.

What happened to Booker yesterday, did he get benched? Kubiak did not mention him in the injury report Monday.

I saw we placed Bibbs on IR and picked up Forsett off waivers. Any body know much about Forsett? Seems like he has made the rounds on like 5 different teams.

Any opinions about the backs? I know there are going to be some complaints about the O-line but with what we have hows it look for the future of our running game?
    sigpic
    Samparnell - Adopted Coach & Mentor
    2016 Adopted Bronco - Derek Wolfe
    2014 Adopted Bronco - DeMarcus Ware - 2015 Adopted Bronco - Von Miller

Denver's rushing attack is predominantly the Zone Series. That requires communication and chemistry on the part of the line and backs who can read the blocks and make the right decision. The whole thing has been out of synch this season. Back side cut blocking is one thing the line hasn't done consistently well.

When CJ was injured, Booker didn't have the experience to be effective, and just as Bibbs was looking good, he got hurt. Janovich was injured and subsequently went on IR, so the FB position is less effective now and that affects the rushing attack as well. Maybe the O-Line should switch to pulling the RBs forward like Okung did on Sunday.
    "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

I feel like Booker thrives in a spot where he's proving he's a starter and now that he's a starter he's complacent

Comment

In all honesty I think Booker may be hurt.

He looked really good spelling CJ Anderson in a back up roll until CJ went down. Once CJ went down and booker had to step into the starting position, he hasn't done very much. infact he's looked quite horrendous most of the time.

I'm not sure how well forsett is going to run behind this offense of line, I don't see him doing very much at age 31 to help this offense.

He looked very good running the ball in Gary Kubiak system in Baltimore but the rules have changed since then when it comes to zone blocking schemes so I'm not sure he's going to be able to look half as good as he did then.

I think a lot of the reason for the failures of this zone blocking scheme as of late is due to the fact that this offense of line cannot cut block any longer. Yes I do think that this new rule change has affected it that much, to that extent.

We all saw Gary Kubiak and rick Dennison and this scheme succeed in Baltimore they were one play away from knocking New England out of the playoffs and the Super Bowl when Joe Flacco turned the ball over. The scheme did work, but I don't think it'll work any longer not with this rule change no matter who we put back there at running back and we're seeing the effects of it.
        Last edited by Sam_Z; 12-06-2016, 09:37 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam_Z View Post
          In all honesty I think Booker may be hurt.

He looked really good spelling CJ Anderson in a back up roll until CJ went down. Once CJ went down and booker had to step into the starting position, he hasn't done very much. infact he's looked quite horrendous most of the time.

I'm not sure how well forsett is going to run behind this offense of line, I don't see him doing very much at age 31 to help this offense.

He looked very good running the ball in Gary Kubiak system in Baltimore but the rules have changed since then when it comes to zone blocking schemes so I'm not sure he's going to be able to look half as good as he did then.

I think a lot of the reason for the failures of this zone blocking scheme as of late is due to the fact that this offense of line cannot cut block any longer. Yes I do think that this new rule change has affected it that much, to that extent.

We all saw Gary Kubiak and rick Dennison and this scheme succeed in Baltimore they were one play away from knocking New England out of the playoffs and the Super Bowl when Joe Flacco turned the ball over. The scheme did work, but I don't think it'll work any longer not with this rule change no matter who we put back there at running back and we're seeing the effects of it.
          As many others on this board have noted, Atlanta seems to be doing well with a zone scheme.

Comment

Originally posted by gerontion View Post
            As many others on this board have noted, Atlanta seems to be doing well with a zone scheme.
            They have two explosive backs that can make people miss. Oline ain't that bad either. Our backs are average at best.
            :go:

Comment

Originally posted by samparnell View Post
              Denver's rushing attack is predominantly the Zone Series. That requires communication and chemistry on the part of the line and backs who can read the blocks and make the right decision. The whole thing has been out of synch this season. Back side cut blocking is one thing the line hasn't done consistently well.

When CJ was injured, Booker didn't have the experience to be effective, and just as Bibbs was looking good, he got hurt. Janovich was injured and subsequently went on IR, so the FB position is less effective now and that affects the rushing attack as well. Maybe the O-Line should switch to pulling the RBs forward like Okung did on Sunday.
              Maybe Kubiak should have each lineman line up behind the QB and run some plays to get a perspective of just how bad things are.
              I believe.

Comment

Originally posted by Broncoyearound View Post
                They have two explosive backs that can make people miss. Oline ain't that bad either. Our backs are average at best.
                A part of me would love to draft an elite back like Leonard Fournette or Dalvin Cook, but that would be putting the cart before the horse. I think C.J. is above average, but with his injuries and Denver's terrible O-line it's hard to know for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by XterraRob View Post
                  Maybe Kubiak should have each lineman line up behind the QB and run some plays to get a perspective of just how bad things are.
                  LOL, that's an idea.

Comment

Piss-poor OL
                    "Happiness is just an illusion, filled with sadness and confusion." Jimmy Ruffin

Comment

What happened?

Dumpster fire from the o-coordinator and oline coach, head coach stubborness, and crappy players blocking. Before Janovich got hurt, we had three rookies (rookie-ish for Siemian) in the backfield.

Booker has not been great at making people miss or breaking tackles, but he is still very young and none of our backs have much room to work with. I am not worried about him yet. If anything, a faster back like Hillman might do better behind this line, but I am generally happy with our RBs for the future.

Comment

Originally posted by cmc0605 View Post
                        What happened?

Dumpster fire from the o-coordinator and oline coach, head coach stubborness, and crappy players blocking. Before Janovich got hurt, we had three rookies (rookie-ish for Siemian) in the backfield.

Booker has not been great at making people miss or breaking tackles, but he is still very young and none of our backs have much room to work with. I am not worried about him yet. If anything, a faster back like Hillman might do better behind this line, but I am generally happy with our RBs for the future.
                        CJ Spiller was just released. He'd be cheap.

Comment

I'll tell ya.

O-line isn't all there yet
                          CJ is (Always) hurt
                          Book gets 2.5 ypc - or is it 3.5?
                          Bibbs looked like a world beater then - hurt.
                          Thompson runs to darkness

That's what.

Comment

Originally posted by False Start View Post
                            I'll tell ya.

O-line isn't all there yet
                            CJ is (Always) hurt
                            Book gets 2.5 ypc - or is it 3.5?
                            Bibbs looked like a world beater then - hurt.
                            Thompson runs to darkness

That's what.
                            Like the War song?
                            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

The line is terrible and, when finally there is an opening, Booker is not shifty enough to make the first guy miss. We all saw the running game get a boost when Bibbs had a couple of outside runs, but then Bibbs got hurt. O-line is a problem and Booker is part of the problem too. That TD run looked good but, overall, he gets tackled too easily.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X