Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Should Elway go all out on the O-line for next year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Should Elway go all out on the O-line for next year?

I know Elway has said the goal is to win from now on, but I'm sure he realizes that our elite D won't remain intact forever, just as Peyton Manning wouldn't last forever. Our window is closing. I'm sure he also knows the O-line is by far the weakest link on the team. Some will blame the coaching and scheme, while others will blame the lack of talent. Regardless, the line is terrible. What can Elway do?

First, let's just assume Kubiak isn't going anywhere for at least two more years. I suppose Elway could fire Dennison and Barone, but would that change much? I suppose he could trust the talent we have now to get better with experience. Then again, the clock is ticking. How long do we wait?

I personally hope that Elway does in fact go all out next year to improve the line. Yes, our run D could use a piece or two. Yes, we need a receiving TE. All that can wait, IMO. Fix the line. How about signing free agents Andrew Whitworth and Kevin Zeitler from the Bengals? Both are rated by PFF as top 25 O-linemen. Yeah, Whitworth is old, but we don't need him for that long. Joe Thomas, anyone? I know the Browns have said he's not available, but that team needs all the help it can get. Maybe a 2nd rounder would get it done. I'm sure some of you have other thoughts about who could help.

As far as the draft, the consensus seems to be that 2017 is a weak class for O-linemen. It also seems they take longer to develop these days. Still, I'm sure there are some prospects out there who could help immediately. Maybe you guys have someone in mind. In any event, even a moderate improvement on the line would do a world of good. Do it, Elway!

Is this a trick question?
    sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rancid View Post
      Is this a trick question?
      No, it isn't. In his tenure Elway hasn't gone all out to fix the O-line and I'm hoping next year he will.

Comment

Nah what he should do is draft 7 more wide receivers, instead of 8 WR's we should at all times have 10 receivers and Siemian on the field.
        Last edited by TheAsianPA; 12-08-2016, 05:51 PM.
        Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

If he doesn't, will we be as bad next year? Or better due to cohesion?
          Sept. 10, 2006, [email protected] 10-18, Sept. 28, 2008, [email protected] 19-33, Nov. 16, 2014, [email protected] 7-22 <--Broncos games I've attended

Comment

Originally posted by gerontion View Post
            No, it isn't. In his tenure Elway hasn't gone all out to fix the O-line and I'm hoping next year he will.
            He had no money last year. I am sure it will be a focal point along with a Tight End and Nose Tackle.
            sigpic

Comment

Need some O line studs, but I would also say LB and some interior D line.
              sigpic

Comment

I know Elway has said the goal is to win from now on, but I'm sure he realizes that our elite D won't remain intact forever, just as Peyton Manning wouldn't last forever. Our window is closing. I'm sure he also knows the O-line is by far the weakest link on the team. Some will blame the coaching and scheme, while others will blame the lack of talent. Regardless, the line is terrible. What can Elway do?

First, let's just assume Kubiak isn't going anywhere for at least two more years. I suppose Elway could fire Dennison and Barone, but would that change much? I suppose he could trust the talent we have now to get better with experience. Then again, the clock is ticking. How long do we wait?

I personally hope that Elway does in fact go all out next year to improve the line. Yes, our run D could use a piece or two. Yes, we need a receiving TE. All that can wait, IMO. Fix the line. How about signing free agents Andrew Whitworth and Kevin Zeitler from the Bengals? Both are rated by PFF as top 25 O-linemen. Yeah, Whitworth is old, but we don't need him for that long. Joe Thomas, anyone? I know the Browns have said he's not available, but that team needs all the help it can get. Maybe a 2nd rounder would get it done. I'm sure some of you have other thoughts about who could help.

As far as the draft, the consensus seems to be that 2017 is a weak class for O-linemen. It also seems they take longer to develop these days. Still, I'm sure there are some prospects out there who could help immediately. Maybe you guys have someone in mind. In any event, even a moderate improvement on the line would do a world of good. Do it, Elway!
                Elway isn't going to fire anyone, the head coach needs to be able to select his staff. He can recommend the HC replaces coaches, but ultimately that falls on the HC to decide whether to listen to that suggestion or not.

As far as going all out on o-line, the Broncos have 2 holes on their o-line, at LG and RT. The answer at RT doesn't appear to be on the roster, they need to upgrade there. The answer to LG could possibly be on the roster in McGoavern, Turner or even Garcia since it's not unheard of for young players to get better with experience. They could also possibly have a hole at LT, if they can't work out an agreement on a restructured contract with Okung. More than likely they'll need 1 tackle to start and a swing tackle, with the potential of another tackle. So they need 2-3 linemen. I'd use my first round pick, either in selection or trade, for that, then add another player via free agency.

Comment

This seems to be the way of the NFL at the moment.I would cut Talib go CB with the first round pick and go D with second pick also with LB or DT(depends on SLY's contract).With that Money we save on Talib and Okung spend that money on two TOP Olinemen.

Comment

Originally posted by AussieBronco76 View Post
                    This seems to be the way of the NFL at the moment.I would cut Talib go CB with the first round pick and go D with second pick also with LB or DT(depends on SLY's contract).With that Money we save on Talib and Okung spend that money on two TOP Olinemen.
                    Why are we cutting Talib again?
                    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

You'd cut arguably the best CB in the league? I hope we don't do that. As we've seen, there's a huge gap between Talib and Roby.

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
                        Why are we cutting Talib again?
                        Guys been having back problems that has kept him out for 4 games this year.These injuries dont get better as you get older especially when you are a $12million cap hit.I realise Aqib would be a loss but I DID say we would use our first pick on a CB.I project our pick will be somewhere around number 18(we miss playoffs probably).With pick 18 you should be able to get a CB who can play the position quite well.

With all this our D would still be top shelf compared to most in the NFL and at the same time our O line which is ranked low on all statistics would get a massive boost with two STAR additions.Put simply we are losing one star in an area we can afford(with a quality low cost alternative) it versus gaining two TOP shelf players on O line replacing two utter bums.Simple really.

Comment

Guys been having back problems that has kept him out for 4 games this year.These injuries dont get better as you get older especially when you are a $12million cap hit.I realise Aqib would be a loss but I DID say we would use our first pick on a CB.I project our pick will be somewhere around number 18(we miss playoffs probably).With pick 18 you should be able to get a CB who can play the position quite well.

With all this our D would still be top shelf compared to most in the NFL and at the same time our O line which is ranked low on all statistics would get a massive boost with two STAR additions.Put simply we are losing one star in an area we can afford(with a quality low cost alternative) it versus gaining two TOP shelf players on O line replacing two utter bums.Simple really.
                          You assume that the two "star additions" will sign in Denver. First off, who are they. Secondly you know that a lot of teams have a lot of cap room next year? Thirdly there are a lot of teams looking to upgrade their offensive line.

I'm not saying that Talib is definitely here next year, but just replacing him with a first or assuming you could is reckless, you never know how the draft will unfold, what if when the Broncos pick all of the first round corners are gone? What do you do then?

Comment

You'd cut arguably the best CB in the league? I hope we don't do that. As we've seen, there's a huge gap between Talib and Roby.

Dude have you seen how our D plays lights out week in week out whereas our O line is the exact opposite week in week out.We are losing one 9.5 out of 10 player on D and replacing him with a 8 out of 10 type player.Whereas on O we will remove two 5.5's and gain two 9.5's type players.In addition to which we wont lose any cap.

Comment

Dude have you seen how our D plays lights out week in week out whereas our O line is the exact opposite week in week out.We are losing one 9.5 out of 10 player on D and replacing him with a 8 out of 10 type player.Whereas on O we will remove two 5.5's and gain two 9.5's type players.In addition to which we wont lose any cap.
                              The D hasn't been lights out this year, it's been good. And one of the reasons they can do that is because the coverage allows them to be able to play a lot of cover 1/0 and bring a lot of heat.

Here's a link to the Salary Cap (click on the 2017 tab) there are currently 16 teams with more cap room than Denver, although Oakland will quickly burn up their cap room. But amongst the other 15 teams there are a lot who will be bidding against Denver for offensive line help.

http://overthecap.com/salary-cap-space/

Comment

Working...
                              X