Bennie Fowler has cost us 2 games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bennie Fowler has cost us 2 games

Has this occurred to anyone else? I know its not fair to blame one player in the sense the team should not be in position for one player to lose the game. Still, if he had kneeled against KC, and not dropped the pass against Tenn, the Broncos would be 10-3 and in first place in divisions. Fighting for home field advantage against New England next week.

That's how tight things have been, the difference between a successful season and a disappointing season can rest on 2 plays. Every play counts, this is what Belichick has been able to teach his players, and what the Broncos haven't figured out. Peyton brought some of that, but it never got through to Kubes, and it's why we are 4-5 over the last 9 games.

So Jordan Norwood didn't have anything to do with chiefs game whatsoever?

Comment

Originally posted by Bterres105 View Post
      So Jordan Norwood didn't have anything to do with chiefs game whatsoever?
      Originally posted by MajorFriend View Post
      I know its not fair to blame one player in the sense the team should not be in position for one player to lose the game. Still, if he had kneeled against KC, and not dropped the pass against Tenn, the Broncos would be 10-3 and in first place in divisions.
      Please read original post

Comment

Blaming Fowler for the KC game is just plain inaccurate. I totally supported his decision to make the lead 8 points. I trusted our historically great pass defense (who is bold enough to label themselves the NO FLY ZONE) to protect an 8 point lead with a little more than 2 minutes left, especially since KC would have to pass the ball to preserve clock.

The fact of the matter is that the pass defense was garbage on KC's game-tying possession, and not only allowed the TD, but the 2 point conversion. A lot has been asked of this defense week in and week out, but I'm not going to let them off the hook for the way they turned to swiss cheese in the 4th quarter and OT of the KC game.

Comment

Please read original post
          I did read it.

He have one of the best defenses, albeit not historic like last year, nobody wouldve imagined the chiefs coming back on us. So I don't blame Benny Fowler for the Chiefs game. Further, our offensive line can't get a push for a single yard on third and one, so Fowler taking a knee on the one does not guarantee that the Broncos would've made it in.

Comment

Seems as though

Has this occurred to anyone else? I know its not fair to blame one player in the sense the team should not be in position for one player to lose the game. Still, if he had kneeled against KC, and not dropped the pass against Tenn, the Broncos would be 10-3 and in first place in divisions. Fighting for home field advantage against New England next week.

That's how tight things have been, the difference between a successful season and a disappointing season can rest on 2 plays. Every play counts, this is what Belichick has been able to teach his players, and what the Broncos haven't figured out. Peyton brought some of that, but it never got through to Kubes, and it's why we are 4-5 over the last 9 games.
            I tend to agree, and in my estimation the Fowler plays contribute considerably to what amounts to a plausible position in being in contention for the playoffs much less a championship. That said, it seems the team as a whole for some reason cannot get off the bus - or come out of the locker room - ready to play. Instead, they get off ready to show off their Sunday duds. Poppycock! Do the showing off after a win, and after a loss, give it some time before prancing around. The Titans are no slouches but the Broncos are defending champs and that because of a will to win - last year. This year, though I stutter, seem to be lacking in desire.

Granted the variables have changed and the pieces don't fit the same, but desire, discipline, and determination can get one to the top. Come on Bennie, let's put on our thinking caps.

Comment

This is a team, and all loses fall on the TEAM! How can you not blame our offensive line for protection and run blocking? How can you not blame run defense for discrepancy in TOP against Tenn? How can you not blame coaching for repeatedly putting Norwood in the game and him making mistakes? How can you not blame our scouts for not finding good talent at every level? How can you not blame coaching for scheme and development?

I can go on forever. Not 1 player or person can be blamed for losses.
              Jacksonville Jaguars Broncomania GM:

Comment

I'm sorry I can't blame him for the kc game. Probably 99 percent of the players would have taken it to the house on that play. No one would have stopped short of the end zone. That pass he dropped yesterday totally different story

Comment

When you play so many close games, eventually they come back to bite you. You can blame Fowle's dropped passes for the losses, but ultimately we should've never been in a position to need either had we executed better throughout the game.

Look at it this way, without the worst ever special teams effort (the coach even said it was the worst he had ever see) against KC that game is a blowout in Denver's favor, and that's not even talking about the horrible lack of an even an attempt to stop Justin Houston.

Against Tenn, if the offense scores even just 3 points prior to the 4th Quarter, the game is at least tied with the field goal there.

Comment

He also dropped a pass that would have put them in position to kick a game winning FG against KC in OT, while you're at it

Comment

Everyone seems to be missing the point, and I think very few read the original post since almost everyone is replying with exactly what I said.

The point is every play matters, until people realize that you're not going to win on a consistent basis. You can say the team lost all you want, but the team is made up of individuals, and individuals need to be held accountable for their actions. Do you really think Fowler would still be playing if he played for Belichick? It's great for a coach to stand behind their players, but the coach also needs to demand excellence from them. There are many players to blame, that have played poorly, and poor coaching is to blame as well. It just so happens that Fowler's had 2 prominent mistakes that cost this team 2 games. That shouldn't be ignored just because this is a team game.

Comment

I think you can take anything from a loss and say this is what caused it. Just as you and others say Fowler drop cost us the game, others say it was Derby's fumble.

I agree that we probably would have won had Bennie made the catch. There is no excuse for him dropping it, this is what you are being paid for.

But at the same time we should've never been in any of those positions to begin with had we had good returners that don't wave their hand at the side of seeing someone in a different uniform coming towards him.

Or if we had the offensive play calling to be a more dynamic and less predictable offense. I know I know, the OL is so bad. But regardless of how bad the OL our best run plays against the Titans and Jags, was run plays to the outside.... yet in both, as well as all our games this season, majority of our run plays is up the middle.

So there is a lot of variables, but when it comes down to individual plays, Fowler dropping that pass basically ended the game.
                        sigpic
                        Adopted Broncos:
                        EmmanuelSanders

Comment

Originally posted by Bterres105 View Post
                          I did read it.

He have one of the best defenses, albeit not historic like last year, nobody wouldve imagined the chiefs coming back on us. So I don't blame Benny Fowler for the Chiefs game. Further, our offensive line can't get a push for a single yard on third and one, so Fowler taking a knee on the one does not guarantee that the Broncos would've made it in.
                          We didn't need to make it in. We led by 1, all we needed to do was eat up another minute or so of clock, make KC use timeouts, and kick a field goal. They would have still needed a TD and had much less time to get it.

At the very least he could have run the endzone line and taken off a few seconds, like Brandon Stokely did against Cincinnati in 2009. Kill as much clock as possible. Being talented is apparently not the same as being smart.
                          All it takes to win is doing whatever it takes to win: COMMITMENT

Comment

You can't blame the player for scoring on that play. If you need to find blame in anyone for that play - it'd be on coaches for not preparing the offense for that situation. Even then though the odds of that happening were so slim, I don't blame anyone personally

But yea - in TENN - GOTTA catch that damn ball
                            The beatings will continue until morale improves....

Comment

Or if Kubes kicks the FG when we went 3 downs and couldn't make the TD. We try a fourth time and get stuffed.
                              Kick that FG there and we're tied heading to OT. Sooo
                              Too me, I think this was totally team loss. But the big ones that stick out.
                              Kubes- not kickingFG
                              Fowler- no catch
                              Derby- fumble
                              Any one of those guys make the right play, at a minimum were tied.
                              Heading for OT.

Comment

Working...
                              X