Oline issues or Booker issues??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oline issues or Booker issues??

Obviously the oline is not great, but are they 100% at fault for the crumby run game? i watch Booker and he just doesn't seem to run with purpose. You watch both Murray and Henry yesterday, Id say most plays they were hit at or behind the line of scrimmage by our D, but they MADE plays and either broke tackles or dragged tacklers 5 yards and fell forward for 2 more. You NEVER see that from Booker. I had high hopes for the kid but he just doesn't seem to have it, his vision is awful and he doesn't run with purpose, he needs to run angry. Maybe it was the fumble on his first career carry that ruined his confidence i don't know, but he falls the second he is hit and falls BACKWARDS!

We saw Bibbs come in, with the same line, and look 1000% better then Booker. Take away the fumble from Forsett and i think we would have seen the same thing from him, however they lost confidence in Forsett after that which i thought was dumb. The guy fumbles for the 1st time in 7 years and you give up on him?

Anyways, im not saying the Oline is good, but maybe they arent as bad as i once believed. I think booker needs to be relegated to 3rd string and we need to ride with Forsett and Thompson.
    sigpic
    BCMB Div I - AB's Etsy Shop | BCMB FF Smackdown - Cold Feet

Originally posted by dipablo View Post
    Obviously the oline is not great, but are they 100% at fault for the crumby run game? i watch Booker and he just doesn't seem to run with purpose. You watch both Murray and Henry yesterday, Id say most plays they were hit at or behind the line of scrimmage by our D, but they MADE plays and either broke tackles or dragged tacklers 5 yards and fell forward for 2 more. You NEVER see that from Booker. I had high hopes for the kid but he just doesn't seem to have it, his vision is awful and he doesn't run with purpose, he needs to run angry. Maybe it was the fumble on his first career carry that ruined his confidence i don't know, but he falls the second he is hit and falls BACKWARDS!

We saw Bibbs come in, with the same line, and look 1000% better then Booker. Take away the fumble from Forsett and i think we would have seen the same thing from him, however they lost confidence in Forsett after that which i thought was dumb. The guy fumbles for the 1st time in 7 years and you give up on him?

Anyways, im not saying the Oline is good, but maybe they arent as bad as i once believed. I think booker needs to be relegated to 3rd string and we need to ride with Forsett and Thompson.
    Kinda long for those days when it seemed like we could put anyone in the backfield and we had a good run game. I wish they hadn't given up on Forsett so early. I think he can make a contribution if given a chance. Try more outside runs too.
    Adopted Bronco: DeMarcus Ware

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
      Kinda long for those days when it seemed like we could put anyone in the backfield and we had a good run game. I wish they hadn't given up on Forsett so early. I think he can make a contribution if given a chance. Try more outside runs too.
      Agree, i dont think we run outside enough, just from gametime observation, i haven't actual looked into it but it feels like 90% up the gut into a wall. Again part of that is Bookers vision, you never see him make a move to try and get around anything. he just runs head first where the play is "supposed" to go no matter how his blocks look. With how bad the line is we really need a play maker, not a run where the book says type player.

I think Forsett is going to help a bunch this week....at least i hope we try and use him.
      sigpic
      BCMB Div I - AB's Etsy Shop | BCMB FF Smackdown - Cold Feet

Comment

He's clearly struggling, and as stated, Bibbs showed flashes before his injury behind the same line. CJ Anderson wasn't too shabby behind it, either. Forsett showed promise (minus the fumble) so one has to begin to think it might be on Booker, as well as the O-line.

Comment

OL sucks

Booker not that good right now imo. Not sure why. He does not seem to have an explosive move to the hole but I have seen other backs develop this over time. It depends on why it is happening
          Time to build on the win and grow the team from some solid play higher level of play

Comment

Both.

Game hasn't slowed down for Booker yet. He whiffed on a few pass protection assignments too. He might develop into something but this line is god awful by in large and they are going to ruin this kids confidence.

Comment

Booker is struggling, but there's clearly a lot of line issue in terms of getting pushed backwards, especially short yardage. I don't know if I've ever seen a team in the last decade make picking up one yard look like such a challenge.

Comment

Its a bit of both. He had a fulltime workload thrown onto him sooner than it should have and if you watch the games twice you notice he misses opportunities. We were lucky to pick up a vet that wasn't washed up late in the season forsett will help out with things

One issue I noticed it seemed like we didn't even try to establish the run. I know its been bad but sometimes it takes several reps to get into rhythm. We saw that happen for a drive in jax where everybody executed on an entire drive.

But when its 2nd and 1 and you throw and then 3rd and 1 and you throw that early I think it sends the wrong message.

Comment

Originally posted by broncoslover115 View Post
                  Yes, but Tom Nalen retired many years ago!

Comment

Originally posted by dipablo View Post

Booker has been injured this season and is new to the NFL - how much do you really expect from him?
                    I believe.

Comment

Both...but even when holes open up Booker doesn't take advantage of them. So while it is a factor of both, a lot of it is more on Booker not making the reads. Bibbs and even more so Forsett, have fewer carries than Booker but still took advantage of the line when they could. Kubiak has said it in so many ways that Booker has to become better...unfortunately it is week 15.
                      Superbowl 50 Champions!

Comment

Books-a-Bust

Comment

O-Line.

Kind of hard to expect a rookie RB to come in and have any real success playing behind the worst, or next to worst o-line in the league.

The best to ever play the position would look like busts behind our o-line of the past 2 seasons.

Comment

Denver is starting to use some angle blocked plays, but the rushing attack is still predominantly Zone Series. Depending on the defensive alignment and the way they react to zone steps, the O-Line in this system slides, climbs, hands off or reaches sometimes doubling sometimes releasing to make an opening.

It is up to the RB to read the blocks, see the opening and make a decision. The RB lines up about seven yards behind the ball. The meshpoint is about halfway between the RB and the LOS. He should be looking at the blocks the whole time after the snap.

The Zone Series places more responsibility on the RB than in an angle blocked play. The only way to grade Devontae Booker's performance would be a detailed analysis of all his rushing attempts from the EZ view. I'm sure the line failed to open a hole on many of them. Booker may have made some wrong decisions as well. It's hard to tell from the sideline view.
                            "Stultum est timere quod vitare non potes." ~ Publilius Syrus

Comment

My 2 cents...

- The reason we run A gap runs so often is that the OTs, especially the RT is A glaring issue! Also when we've used multiple TEs it's hard to have consistency on setting the edge and not tipping your hand with personnel.

- CJ is not an top RB, Booker is even less so. What I don't understand is why they have drafted smaller RBs. This offense needs more physicality. A bigger back that can get the hard yards, block, and plant his foot to change direction to run down hill.

- The Broncos admin has done a terrible job drafting for the offensive line. It's been bad for years.

Comment

Working...
                              X